Caravan/Wagon Trader

Started by Workload, November 18, 2013, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

How about a trading Caravan that pops up on the map and trades on the ground.
To trade with them is same as space trading instead you right click on the Caravan and your guy will walk up to them, same as the trade console. They should have less goods then ones from space. Maybe give them some armed guards for protection.

Things that could happen around this
-They just drive or ride in and stop somewhere on the map or they go to your marked home zone or beacon.
-They are being chased and want to hide in your camp. Letting them stay has a chance that the chasers will come find you. 
-Can be a ambush caravan that doesn’t attack till it gets into your camp.
-Can also just rob the caravan by killing the guards then right click the caravan then pick “hold up”.
or by blowing up the caravan car/ or the trader if he’s on foot/mount<---Muffalo
Blowing it up will only give you small amount of goods and money. Everything you see in the trade menu doesn’t get dropped that wouldn't be fair. If not it would always be better to rob them and we don't want that.

edit
So no one really likes the fact that all the loot is lost when robbing guess take that away and do it the way you guys want.

They would not come back for a long time or never.
Send troops/raiders for payback/hold you up for cash if not they will attack.
A bomb caravan faking to want business, then when you walk up they blow up or drive/ride into your base. 

Pendryn

I kind of like this idea.

Maybe let the caravan have everything available at normal price, no bargains, no expensive, just flat value. Weapons, Slaves, Metals, Foods, Goods, and plenty of cash.

Then it could have Caravan Guards, probably armed with 2 or 3 M-24, a few M-16, and a number of R-4s.

Then you can choose to either trade with them, or attack!

Obviously it would be a hard fight, but the rewards would be well worth it!
Reticulating all the splines.

Semmy

But you stranded on a rimworld there isnt anybody there.

Where does the caravan come from? Why dont i go there and life with them isntead of making my own hideout? Why don't i raid them and steal there stuff?

I think this will be a little off the story/lore from rimworld.
And i like raiders as is now.
If a caravan would be added. There must also be nearby settlements etc etc wich makes this kinda a really really big chance to the game.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

windruf

Quote from: Semmy on November 18, 2013, 10:46:30 AM
But you stranded on a rimworld there isnt anybody there.

Where does the caravan come from? Why dont i go there and life with them isntead of making my own hideout? Why don't i raid them and steal there stuff?

I think this will be a little off the story/lore from rimworld.
And i like raiders as is now.
If a caravan would be added. There must also be nearby settlements etc etc wich makes this kinda a really really big chance to the game.
not really: there could be some groups like ours, just bigger. they defiantly are - cos there are people who runs from one to another. more than one and at last a few hundred people big - with less there will be not enough profit for a caravan. and no reason for people to go from one colony to another. and there won't be any raiders, cos they need someone to rob.

so there is no change. they already  "are" here. survivors from another crashed liner a few dozen years ago. now they have a few settlements not too far from our.

what it changes:
1: drifter are not just drifter:
a) drifter who just looking for new place to stay cos... they will join you on their own.
b) i'v heard, there is a nice job for me in the next settlement... they will join you if convinced.
c) people who was going to their friends or carrying  a message to other settlement... they will be harder to convince, even convinced will try to run away and there will be some really pissed people looking for them.
d) runaway slaves... they gladly join you, if they feel safe, but there will be some pissed slavers, who will their slave back, and a few of you as compensation for trouble ;)

2: caravans: they are going between other settlements and there is nothing against a little detour if there is a safe rest and a little gescheft  ;)
the more you trade with them, the often they come. and bring more of the stuff you buy.
the more of them you rob the less often they will come, and the higher will be the prices and more guards. and if you let one of them run away, then there will be a raid of pissed caravaners and there will be no caravans any time soon.

3: you can send your own caravan to one of those settlements to trade for something you need. (if there will be parts for building and crafting)

maybe there is more. not sure.

Workload

So your the only colony on the planet? Do all the raiders just come from space or is there plans to have other means of them popping in like drop ships/APC/crashing ships or walking in from the side of the map. I'm just guess that the pods are just till you get everything in order. 

Nasikabatrachus

Word of God says there are other people on Rim World:

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1101.0

Although I haven't seen any lore or anything else that says there are or aren't other settlements on the planet. Don't know why people think there aren't, though.

My biggest concern with caravans is having the player get a bonanza by exploiting the caravan AI and trapping/killing it, as is often done in Dwarf Fortress. I mean, maybe that's something that could be possible but difficult, but it doesn't necessarily make sense that a caravan would trust the player's colonists. Maybe for a while the caravan doesn't come onto the map, and instead just sends an agent to negotiate prices and exchange. Later on, the caravan might be willing to enter the map if they a) trust the player colony b) the player colony is big enough to warrant the attention. If the player attacks the caravan, or holds the agent hostage for goods or something, there should be consequences in the form of attacks and embargoes later on.

Workload

Nice so there is other people around just not sure how many yet

To rob them you have to blow up their van so almost all the loot is lost.
But if you rob that company they wouldn't trust you and come by for a long time and the loot from killing it probably be worst then the bill the armed guards will do/ mostly meds. 

Like what you added and yes they would send troops to attack you for actions

killerx243

So there could be a mix of cultures to the caravans, obviously the more advanced have a chance at more goods but maybe less slaves and are better armed. But a medieval style culture would bring more guards that are armed more primitively but have slaves to sell.

Workload

Quote from: killerx243 on November 19, 2013, 09:35:37 PM
So there could be a mix of cultures to the caravans, obviously the more advanced have a chance at more goods but maybe less slaves and are better armed. But a medieval style culture would bring more guards that are armed more primitively but have slaves to sell.
yes that's right there would be different caravans just like the different space traders.

Hmm starting to think Semmy might be right. Like where they come from I would say from other groups of people but the lore doesn't really apply that there's other colonists then your colony on this rock.   

It could be planet with very few colonies on it and snice it's a rimworld the law doesn't have any control in your region. Making it a unsafe region and planet. So there would be a few villages of raiders/pirate camps. Maybe other neutral colonists but that be less likely. I can only see outlaws hanging around out that far just to hid form police.

ShadowDragon8685

I don't agree with any of these cockamamie schemes to prevent the player from getting all of a caravans goods by robbery. That's just stupid, reactionary "we can't let them have free stuff" knee-jerk action.

Instead, make the other caravans stop coming if the player robs one. That way, if they're desperate, they can get a huge boost, but no more caravans will come later. Ideally, the player should be able to send their own caravans later on, but nobody will trade with you if you're a bandit.
Raiders must die!

windruf

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 21, 2013, 11:16:39 PM
I don't agree with any of these cockamamie schemes to prevent the player from getting all of a caravans goods by robbery. That's just stupid, reactionary "we can't let them have free stuff" knee-jerk action.

Instead, make the other caravans stop coming if the player robs one. That way, if they're desperate, they can get a huge boost, but no more caravans will come later. Ideally, the player should be able to send their own caravans later on, but nobody will trade with you if you're a bandit.
almost agree:
i see it so: caravans are going for profit. they have statistic: what you buy, how much you buy, what you sell, how many caravans have managed to get back... and based on it they make decisions about what to take, how much and how many guards. and prices.

have you robbed one and none survived - you can blame it on raiders. but as result they will bring more guards and to pay them they will charge more for their goods. and when the profit is bad they stop coming.

and if you didn't kill all and one managed to survive and run off map - they will know, that you are a robber and send some forces to punish you and stop sending caravans.

ShadowDragon8685

A punitive raid is a bad idea. After all, if someone's hard enough to wipe out your caravan guards, showing up with what is essentially more caravan guards isn't likely to do much to them.

Then again, raiders keep coming despite the suicidal stupidity, soooooo...

Caravans should be looking at profit versus risk. If caravans tend to disappear when heading to your outpost, they should come more heavily-armed and more lightly-laden, you're right. If, on the other hand, they come back fat with stuff they needed, then they should start sending more heavily-laden caravans your way, because clearly you have means to do business with them and business is good.

I also like the idea of opening up diplomatic relations with other, remote outposts. Relations that would, of course, go right the hell down the toilet if you started ganking and pillaging their caravans. They could also go really high if you, say, sold them stuff on credit rather than demanding cash on the barrelhead, or handed over resources as a gift.

Hrm.... This is giving me all-new high-octane ideas.
Raiders must die!

Pendryn

And if anyone is reeeeeally bent out of shape by the term caravan, we can just call it a scrap wagon. Other survivors made a cart, found the loot, and are now passing through offering trade or combat. Bam. Fits the lore like a snug pair of tighty whities.
Reticulating all the splines.

killerx243

The main reason you wouldn't of just left to find them is by the time you find out there is friendly people living on the planet you already made yourself a home. That is why colonists come to live with you (I am not talking about the ones that are walking in the area but the ones that straight up join you). If you crashed on what you thought was an uninhabited planet next to some of your supplies you wouldn't leave them in search of other people, you stockpile your resources since you can't carry them all with you and plan your escape off the planet.

The way I see it when the first three crash to the planet all they want is to leave but soon they find more people to live with, life is good, they start joking calling it a colony and giving it a name and then one day it hits them. They don't need to build a ship to fly home because they are home, sure some of them may still want to leave but not everyone would.