Call for Linux testers (closed)

Started by Tynan, October 04, 2013, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Call for Linux testers is closed. Thanks everyone!

I need a couple Linux testers to make sure builds work properly on that OS. Apply in this thread if you can and want to test on Linux. Obviously there's no guarantee everyone will get used.

It would be good if you could answer:

• What's your experience with testing systems? Ever used a bug tracker before? Does the Ludeon bugtracker look foreign to you or familiar?
• What OSes do you have?
• How much time do you have to test?
• Ever recorded and uploaded video before? E.g. with FRAPS.

Thanks to all in advance!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FangoWolf

My windows machine can dual boot windows and Ubuntu.  It's been quite a while since I booted to Ubuntu, but I think I can remember my key.  I'll post the version when I get home, but it's at least a year old version, but I could always update.

I used fraps in windows a few years back, I could always just turn on my bike camera (go pro knock off) and upload it lol

I'm a windows system admin, so I have had to debug with Microsoft for what that's worth.  I've had to post on many companies issue trackers which look alot like bug trackers.

I'm sure I could carve out at least an hour a day to play around and it wouldn't hurt my feeling if I get replaced by real linux guys

British

Quote from: FangoWolf on October 04, 2013, 04:55:39 PM
My windows machine can dual boot windows and Ubuntu.
My VirtualBox can run any flavor of just about any mainstream OS as well ::)

It would indeed probably benefit Tynan more to have die-hard regular Linux users for that task, as it's way more about testing and reporting than the Windows builds.

FangoWolf

My machine is not a virtual box and will not have the driver problems of a virtual box, but yes a Linux head would be better. 

Gamage

• What's your experience with testing systems? Ever used a bug tracker before? Does the Ludeon bugtracker look foreign to you or familiar?
- I'm a 2nd year software engineering student at UoG and test my programs regularly and thoroughly. I've also beta tested APB. I have used bug tracking systems before and posted bugs but they were more of an open forum style. The Ludeon bugtracker seems foreign in terms of submitting but not in terms of voting/confirming/commenting existing bugs.
• What OSes do you have?
- I dual boot Windows and Linux (Ubuntu or Mint or other as I switch/modify/break my OS often) on both a desktop and laptop. Mostly use Linux for anything programming related.
- Unfortunately I have a fairly heavy course load but pretty much whenever I don't have that so most weekends and some weekdays.
- Yes but not with Linux, would have to look into that.

In closing I'd just like to say that although I enjoy and use Linux on a daily basis, I am in no way a power user.

Tynan

Quote from: Gamage on October 05, 2013, 02:01:39 AM
- I'm a 2nd year software engineering student at UoG and test my programs regularly and thoroughly. I have used bug tracking systems before and posted bugs but they were more of an open forum style. The Ludeon bugtracker seems foreign in terms of submitting but not in terms of voting/confirming/commenting existing bugs.
• What OSes do you have?
- I dual boot Windows and Linux (Ubuntu or Mint or other as I switch/modify/break my OS often) on both a desktop and laptop. Mostly use Linux for anything programming related.
- Unfortunately I have a fairly heavy course load but pretty much whenever I don't have that so most weekends and some weekdays.
- Yes but not with Linux, would have to look into that.

In closing I'd just like to say that although I enjoy and use Linux on a daily basis, I am in no way a power user.

No need to be a power user. After all, the game is made for normal people, right?

Gamage

My bad, I was going off a previous post of die-hard Linux user by someone else

British

Quote from: Tynan on October 05, 2013, 02:03:23 AM
No need to be a power user. After all, the game is made for normal people, right?
Normal people having the know-how to navigate some of the innards of Linux, possibly ?

That what I infered by reading your OP:
Quote from: Tynan on October 04, 2013, 03:29:01 PM
I need a couple Linux testers to make sure builds work properly on that OS.
It would probably be a huge plus if those people can find out what a problem is about (like, I don't know, some library not being called or with the wrong version/whatever) instead of merely filling a but report (I insist: for problems that doesn't pertain to Unity).

But I may be exaggerating a bit ???

Tynan

Quote from: British on October 05, 2013, 07:31:21 AM
Quote from: Tynan on October 05, 2013, 02:03:23 AM
Normal people having the know-how to navigate some of the innards of Linux, possibly ?

That what I infered by reading your OP:
I need a couple Linux testers to make sure builds work properly on that OS.
It would probably be a huge plus if those people can find out what a problem is about (like, I don't know, some library not being called or with the wrong version/whatever) instead of merely filling a but report (I insist: for problems that doesn't pertain to Unity).

But I may be exaggerating a bit ???

Yes, you're right. The more tech-savvy a tester, the better. However, it's not an absolute requirement.

Sh1ken

Quote from: Tynan
I've used bug tracker to summit several bugs on different types of software in the past as a user, not as a tester (nothing official). The implemented system seems familiar to me, all bug trackers follow the same rules.

• What OSes do you have?
I daily use Arch Linux and Debian. I can, of course, install any other distribution for testing purposes.

I'll say plenty.

Yes and no. I've not uploaded a video that I had recorded.

Hope it helps. I have previous experience on chasing problems with compatibility with any game that I wanted to play and contributing to their corresponding wiki.

Dejix

Quote• What's your experience with testing systems? Ever used a bug tracker before? Does the Ludeon bugtracker look foreign to you or familiar?
The experience I have with testing systems comes mostly from my experience at university where we did white and black box testing for various projects. Software testing outside of that is limited to excessive use with intent to break.  ;D
I've used Mantis to track bugs for some of my projects. The format looks much neater than what I've seen before. Should I ever actually need a bug tracker again I'll be sure to check out Flyspray  now.

Quote• What OSes do you have?
I play mostly on Windows but I do have have machines with various Linux distributions. The two that I fiddle with the most are Ubuntu and Mint.

Quote• How much time do you have to test?
On the time front I'll go with lots.

Quote• Ever recorded and uploaded video before? E.g. with FRAPS.
I have recorded videos with FRAPS and have only uploaded to personal servers or friends. Never before on Linux though.

danderson

I'd love to playtest/break Rimworld. It's a game I've wanted for a while, and I'd love to help make sure that it works well on my OS of choice.

I write software for a living, and as a result do a lot of testing. Most relevant to being a game tester is doing manual whole-system testing, troubleshooting when it goes wrong, and boiling symptoms down to a root cause. I've spent my entire student and professional life hacking on linux systems, so I'm quite comfortable tracking down strange problems (not so much with Windows, but I'd muddle along if asked). I also do a ton of automated testing, but without source code access that's less relevant :).

Ludeon's bug tracker looks like home. It looks similar in featureset to the tracker I use at work.

• What OSes do you have?

On my desktop, I dual-boot Arch Linux and Windows 7, and spend most of my time in the former. I also have an Ubuntu 13.04 system on my laptop, and routinely run a bunch of others in VMs (notably Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and a bit of Fedora). Depending on the graphics requirements, running in VMs may not work, in which case I have a second sacrificial laptop that I can image to arbitrary linux distros for testing.

I have a day job, so evenings and weekends, essentially. I spend quite a bit of my free time gaming, and Rimworld is the exact kind of game I've always wanted, so I suspect I'd playtest it quite a bit.

I've recorded video and done some light post-processing before (transcoding and some basic cropping). I haven't done so recently, but I was able to figure out Arch linux, how hard can video recording be? :). As for video upload, I've uploaded a couple things to youtube just fine.

Thanks for your consideration!

crazybmanp

As a developer, i have had quite a bit of experience testing systems and using bug trackers. I have used flyspray before to track bugs, so yes it looks very familiar.
• What OSes do you have?
my laptop dual-boots windows 8 and ubuntu. I can spin up any linux virtual machine required on my hyper-v installation if that counts. (various flavors of windows also exist across my home, dating back to windows 98, including a couple win8 machines.)
I am in college but i spend way too much time on video games, i have about 4-8 hours every night to test. I am also rather exited to see this title in action (i have already throw in Influencer tier.)
I have experience with FRAPS, although from what i understand the Linux equivalents are much easier to use and less glitchy.

Keep up the good work Tynan, i can't wait to see the first pre-alpha at least.

meganothing

Used bug trackers a few times, few written in capital letters. I work as a sys admin so at least identifying missing libraries should be no problem ;-)
• What OSes do you have?
Suse and ubuntu, but I could only test on ubuntu since that is my gaming setup. With an fairly old AMD GPU and (still) the open-source driver.
A few hours a week.  If I like the game that could become more or less.
No.

golgy

I need a couple Linux testers to make sure builds work properly on that OS. Apply in this thread if you can and want to test on Linux. Obviously there's no guarantee everyone will get used.

It would be good if you could answer:

• What OSes do you have?

Right, so in order:

• Bug trackers? I'm a systems admin, bug tracking and rcs is BAU stuff. Haven't used Flypaper specifically before, but I can deal with whatever.
  • OSen? I've got CentOS and Fedora, mainly - i'm happier with RPM based distros. But I can run up whatever if you need to correlate between RPM/Deb based stuff
  • 4-10 hours a week is probably my max gaming hours a week, but depends on how deeply you need specific things tested. I'm probably better testing one thing deeply than a bunch of things shallowly.
  • Not for many years. Does FRAPS still peg the CPU when recording? I remember that being A Thing (tm)