Sun Lamps unlocked with Hydroponics

Started by linkxsc, November 18, 2013, 10:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merry76

Quote from: Galileus on November 19, 2013, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: linkxsc on November 19, 2013, 11:51:53 AMBaffled me though that regular standing lamps pull 125w
Video game logic.
They probably are not lightbulbs like we know them. Afterall, they can be shot once or twice and still work. Granted, they burn out quicker (so it isnt like the Fallout lightbulbs that still burn after 200 years...) or get damaged by just being lit...

Bob Buddha

Quote from: linkxsc on November 19, 2013, 11:51:53 AM
Thought the LED ones still used a pretty big amount of power anyways.
Baffled me though that regular standing lamps pull 125w. Would kinda like to see the ability to research better lights in general. I mean, modern CFLs are nice and use ~25w of power to do lighting that a 100w incandescent can.

One of the more popular (and expensive) LED grow lights are from Stealth Grow.  These are marketed with a 1250 Watt name when they actually draw 600W.  This is to give the impression that they are equal in power output to a 1250W conventional MH or HIPs. Stealth Grow Website
These use 5 different colors of LEDs and at least 100W are White LEDs which give a fairly full spectrum.  The majority of the power goes into red which is what drives chlorophyll most efficiently.
PAR = Photosynthetic Available Radiation
PUR = Photosynthetic Usable Radiation  (Same as PAR but the green and green-yellow spectrum are ignored since these are highly reflected by plants)

Regardless, natural sunlight can be 900W plus per square meter (high noon in Phoenix can be over 1KW),  though more than 50% is long wave IR.  Depending on electricity to grow plants will always suck a lot of power and to boot, plants aren't very efficient at turning that light into chemical energy.  This is why when I imagine a future technology for growing plants on an alien planet, there would be a perfected grow light and perhaps paired with a GMO potato that is tuned to grow by those means.