Count to !UPDATED! 20,000 before Tynan posts!

Started by GamerGuy, March 28, 2015, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabor0shi

B
Blam Honey
Visual Kei bands gross me out. I'm feeling guilty for showing you these. 5062
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Der Failer

Quote from: mabor0shi on January 23, 2017, 05:17:17 PM
Der Failure!
Dude it's Der Failer, is not that hard. But I'm sure you get it right, if you just try hard enough. :)
C
Cali Gari
Special tanks to who ever creates all of thous Wikipedia list ;)

Also thanks for making me google "Visual Kei"....

Adamiks

mabor0shi

Quote from: Der Failer on January 23, 2017, 06:07:06 PM
Dude it's Der Failer, is not that hard. But I'm sure you get it right, if you just try hard enough. :)
I was joking. I respect your name. It takes a lot of guts to call yourself that.
D
Dir En Grey
I do not endorse this music or whatever "dress-up" fetish behavior goes along with it. 5065
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Der Failer

Quote from: mabor0shi on January 23, 2017, 06:22:54 PM
I was joking. I respect your name. It takes a lot of guts to call yourself that.
Or you have to be young and stupid... but that aint me... ... ...

E
Exist Trace

So why do we do that again?

mabor0shi

Forget it. I don't care whether or not lusting after Asian drag queens will upset god or about getting to 9,000. Posting numbers is boring. I want more out of this thread. New topic: Will 3D printers bring about the end of civilization? Nobody will need to buy things anymore. No more manufacturing, shipping, handling, selling. I realize not everything could be made at home, but are the limitations enough to save us from global economic collapse? I'll be printing guns, canned food, a bomb shelter, guard dogs, and a Mr. Handy to prepare for the apocalypse.

Adamiks

It will be a little problematic, but because it will happen over a course of many years, it shouldn't be that drastic. People will slowly switch from producing whole products (clothing, electronics, prostheses etc) to either just selling more or less raw materials (fabrics, metals etc) or special packages ("Materials for 3D Printing Bomb Shelter 2000, only from KD Junior Incorporated", "Do you want a new fancy bionic hand?! Just buy our materials and print it in the X 3D Printer, supported printers listed below!")

People will lose jobs but they will also gain jobs in 3D printers factories. Unless at that point in time it all will be fully mechanized. I mean, it kinda is already, so yeah.

Der Failer

Hm i don't think 3D printers will cause a problem on a global scale, sure some manufacturing branches will suffer or even die out. But that's nothing new, new technology often means that "old" job become unnecessary.
Also just look around you and thing about what materials are needed for that stuff, you'll probably find lots of electronics, plastics, metals, wood and some sorts of tissues. So everything "needs" electronics nowadays, but that itself more often then not requires extreme precision (talking micro- or nanometers here), as well as some "funny" chemicals to produce and i don't see technology to get all of this in your basement any time soon. Plastics also often requires chemicals, but is most likely the way to go. Most metals need at least a few hundred degree Celsius (sry not going to bother myself with fahrenheit scale) and on a small scale that a neither efficient nor easy to handle. Wood is already available for 3D printers, but most of it is either looking like wood but actually plastic, or it's actually wood (dust) compressed in to things but then is only look to some extend like wood (will surely improve over time). Finally we got all sorts of different fabrics, i honestly have no idea if you can print clothes, but we will see.
Last but not least, there is the whole manufacturing industry which has obvious reasons, to limit the potential of privat 3Dprinters, and a lot of money in lobbying. So if they expect this to be a problem for them we will soon see laws against 3D Printers (of some sort).

I think a real issue will be better and more intelligent robots and bots.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Der Failer on January 23, 2017, 09:03:29 PM
Most metals need at least a few hundred degree Celsius (sry not going to bother myself with fahrenheit scale)
I'm American. Is a few hundred degrees Celsius really so cold that it will cause difficulty?

Der Failer

Quote from: mabor0shi on January 23, 2017, 09:20:40 PM
Quote from: Der Failer on January 23, 2017, 09:03:29 PM
Most metals need at least a few hundred degree Celsius (sry not going to bother myself with fahrenheit scale)
I'm American. Is a few hundred degrees Celsius really so cold that it will cause difficulty?
Here you go

You can ignore all below Aluminum for most everyday objects.

The two big problems with metalworks are:
The huge amounts of energy needed to get to thous temperatures (metalworking is one of the most power hungry industry) and ways to handle them without in a way that does not burn the whole neighborhood. At thous temperatures, if it can burn it will burn.

Adamiks

mabor0shi

Rock5

You also have to think of the cost. A centralized specialized manufacturing location will always produce stuff more efficiently. Take photos for instance. You might print a one off on your printer but if you want to print a couple of dozen you take it to a print shop to save money.

The same will be for 3D printers. You might print of a one off needed item but if you need a lot of an item it will be cheaper to buy it. Also other manufacturing methods might be cheaper. It might be easier to slap a few pieces of wood together to make a piece of furniture than 3D print it.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

wafflep90

Adamiks