Vehicles!

Started by Jaseis, March 29, 2015, 07:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaseis

Hi all,
I'm surprised that I haven't seen a vehicle suggestion yet, or at least not in the first few pages of this forum section.

I just think having the option to research and then build vehicles would be great. It would be easier to go out hunting, collect things, make repairs on things far away from the main base etc. and would even make it easier to make a second base or something.

I can't imagine implementation would be too difficult in the way of game logic -
the vehicles could be electronic which much be charged up or a different fuel could be added to the game (biofuel, hydrogen etc etc).
Characters could have a seperate skill for operating a vehicle, or it could be tied in with a trait or something.
Eventually you could even have armoured/weapon vehicles which help fighting enemies/hunting.
Drill vehicles for easy mining?
Farm vehicles to make harvesting/planting easier?

I know that challenge and survival are part of Rimworld, so I would assume that any type of vehicle would be purely late-game. But after a few years of surviving, this would sure be a nice reward for our poor colonists :P

Oooo and it would look really cool too - imagine having garages and roads annnd i'm getting carried away ;)

Kirid

Type vehicles in the search bar, it's been suggested a lot.
I think it would just take a long while to implement. Tynan is adding and refining simpler ideas right now to make the core game more playable. It would probably take an entire alpha just to get vehicles slightly working. But don't worry, I think we'll see them eventually.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Argon

Quote from: Kirid on March 29, 2015, 10:32:50 PM
Type vehicles in the search bar, it's been suggested a lot.
I think it would just take a long while to implement. Tynan is adding and refining simpler ideas right now to make the core game more playable. It would probably take an entire alpha just to get vehicles slightly working. But don't worry, I think we'll see them eventually.
^ True

It would take far too long to be viable now, but maybe someday.

-Argon

BetaSpectre

Maps are too small for vehicles to really be useful. Maybe a small train line or some carts.

If we can travel around the world map however, vehicles might be useful.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Jaseis

Sorry for repeating the topic then :P New here so couldn't find search at first.

Yeah I guess the maps are a bit small right now (I don't think I'd like them to be bigger anyway!)

A cart line or something could be cool

Telarin

I would love to see some type of small RTV/Gator type vehicle used for hauling more items in a single trip, or hauling larger amounts of construction materials out to distant constructions. The biggest problem I can see with this is the logic behind when the colonists decide to use it, and how to reserve multiple stacks of items for a gathering or construction trip.

DNK

I'd just settle for the following

Conveyor belts
Moving walkways
A wearable (hover boots) that greatly increases speed while outdoors
A wearable (exo suit) that greatly increases carrying capacity

But yes vehicles would be nice. The above are easier solutions to what we'd use vehicles for.

Kegereneku

I don't expect anything like that before the game is well under beta.

To me vehicle would only get worth for destination beyond the map (game zone) we start in.
But before that you need more carrying slot for colonist, similar to visitors and raiders. The ultimate dream being that akin to the Spaceship End, a 6slots carrying rover/craft could be built to accomplish mission/scavenging run/ending through unique-building in other place.

But all in all, THERE NEED TO BE A LIMIT SOMEWHERE and no bet that if such a thing ever get added someone will ask for the ability to run 2infinite number of colony simultaneously with "if possible" automated transport...etc...etc.
This would get Rimworld far away from its core feature (few colonist, deep characterization, hard survival).
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

ja7833

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 29, 2015, 11:39:22 PM
...travel around the world map...

+1; now that's an idea!
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Harold3456

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 29, 2015, 11:39:22 PM
Maps are too small for vehicles to really be useful. Maybe a small train line or some carts.

If we can travel around the world map however, vehicles might be useful.

I know this is an old thread now, but I think vehicles have tons of purposes even on a small map! Imagine a truck with a bed that served as a mobile haul zone, so you could drive to the gold vein across the map. Or, if your best shooter has a bad leg, you could still snipe raiders in a siege, and then when they chase you get in your car and drive to safety!

Rofo

Quote from: DNK on March 30, 2015, 11:07:00 AM
A wearable (exo suit) that greatly increases carrying capacity

A combat exosuit that allows to carry mechanoid weapons, similar to the x-com mech. A raiding nightmare.

enterprise12

yes this would be great, the largest map possible currently could use this, as they are fairly big and take a bit of time to get to and back.

i understand this is a story based game, but again if we are meant to mold the story(somewhat) i think choosing to stay on the planet, rather than escape it really gives you, the player, a much broader story, that could keep expanding into world-map travel as players have requested, there is a point where games do need limits though.

Not to mention rimworld gets laggy as-is on the biggest maps, or even when there is a simple large raid.

Then again, this is what mods are for, tynan cannot do everything requested, and mods really almost have no limit, it just depends on your skill, and time!

Goldenpotatoes

The best thing I've seen when someone was suggesting vehicles was a mad-max type of raid where pirates come riding in on junkers and either park the car nearby as a sort of impromptu-defense or just straight-up ram it into stuff like doorways or weak walls as a surprise entrance.

Harold3456

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 12, 2016, 06:16:28 PM
The best thing I've seen when someone was suggesting vehicles was a mad-max type of raid where pirates come riding in on junkers and either park the car nearby as a sort of impromptu-defense or just straight-up ram it into stuff like doorways or weak walls as a surprise entrance.

My big issue with this is that it would just be so hard to do! Maybe, years down the road, but none of the developers now would really want to commit to a combat overhaul of this caliber (you would need to make the vehicles, change he AI, do rebalancing, add the possibility of ram damage, etc)...

That's why I don't even want to see combat vehicles yet. I think combat's great as is, but having your own vehicles for more mundane purposes could still have a world of utility.

Necronomocoins

Tribal: Un-saddled large animal riding
Medieval: Saddled riding (more comfortable) and wheels (Chariot, Wagon, cart, etc.)
Industrial: Engines (Hovercraft, cars, trucks, motorbikes, hot air balloon, etc.)
Spacer: Spaceship, but a spaceship that can be used as a base (with walls, doors, vents, guns, etc.) taken off, landed, refueled, re-landed, etc...
Not necessarily for combat, but for travel on the world map and a base you can take with you.