Beginner's guide / Getting Started

Started by Jaguar, November 23, 2013, 11:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaguar

Hi everyone,

Just bought the game, signed up to the forums, and introduced myself. I came to the forums to search for a beginner's guide, but there doesn't seem to be one yet. Plenty of videos, but not a clear written guide for a complete noob like me. I don't like watching hours of 'Let's Play' videos and the like to try and gleam useful information!

So I guess this thread is a plea for help; what do you do when you start a new colony? What are the priorities, what are things to bear in mind for the middle-game and end-game, etc?

Perhaps some of the more seasoned players could write a guide to help new players get started? I for one would certainly appreciate it.

dgsmith80

As the game isn't really finished yet I doubt anyone will want to spend hours making a guide which could change drastically. There is a in-game codex which gives some very basic help as well as the tips by the game itself as to what you need to do.

Semmy

[img=http://rimworldwiki.com/Main_Page]http://Rimworld Wiki[/img]

Is a very good place to start.
And check the video's section for some let's plays.
Furthermore the most important thing is to get food production rolling and try and get a prison cell and a cantina with nutrient dispenser.
But thats my 2 cents
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Slev

Given how rough you might expect a pre-alpha to be, I think the game does a reasonable job of giving guidance. I would say the steps are:

1) Pay attention to what's in the top-right! These are situations that need to be addressed immediately.
2) If there's nothing too pressing, check your colonist's Thoughts. That will suggest new things to do- individual bedrooms, more space, interior decorating.
3) At this stage, the game is still small enough to just read every entry in the Architect menu.

Speaking personally, I normally play on Phoebe so my priorities are growing areas and comfortable surroundings.

The very first thing I do is also one thing that is less obvious: open up the Overview menu and set your priorities. It's the old Competitive Advantage thing- if you have one Deep Space Miner and one Medieval Oaf, they should both be doing what they're best at rather than have both mine a rockface and then both go to work in the fields.

DarkMyau

The first thing I do is pick the 3 colinists.
1. Mining 12
2. Growing 13
3. Research 15

Those 3 are great at what they do. I then make sure they are just doing their job.

I firstly set 4 growing areas and build 2 solar power and a nutrient paste dispencer. I also build a small table and a few chairs. I then build a small room into the mountainside and construct 12 batteries.

This gets things rolling.