Turrets overestimated by storyteller

Started by todofwar, November 18, 2013, 05:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murlocdummy

Quote from: Merry76 on November 21, 2013, 01:39:31 PM

Yeah I know.
But the last patch for Rimworld was on the 7th, and when I read that Tynan was doing music now, I went into Nerd shock.

It was "waiting for something awesome, then getting sfx, more sfx, skulls on spikes&wall torches and then a fix for said torches for one and half a month" all over again. I cried a bit inside  :'(

I don't see why Tynan working on music is a bad thing.  Yes, I did say that adding more artwork and music will eventually become "clutter that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay", but the kind of music engine that he's working on is going to change gameplay for the better. 

I also don't see why having someone else compose music won't require Tynan to take time to implement it.  Even if the new music system were simplified somehow, it would still require setting up musical cue events in Cassandra, and possibly expanding it towards random games, as well.

Stickle

Quote from: murlocdummy on November 22, 2013, 01:03:09 AM
I also don't see why having someone else compose music won't require Tynan to take time to implement it.  Even if the new music system were simplified somehow, it would still require setting up musical cue events in Cassandra, and possibly expanding it towards random games, as well.

I might be speaking out of my ass, but I'm under the impression that putting together a music system, cues and all, is not quite as time-consuming as actually composing music. I don't expect it's something most programmers could whip up (well) in an hour, but I doubt it'd take weeks, either.

EarthyTurtle

Personally I'm excited for music, set the atmosphere a little.

Honestly turrets were never meant to be the bulk of your defense, just a supplement. Turrets are still no match for a good strong defense force and a well thought out defense zone.
or blasting charge spam... 2 blasting charges and wipe out the entire raiding force...

murlocdummy

Quote from: Stickle on November 22, 2013, 01:05:46 AM

I might be speaking out of my ass, but I'm under the impression that putting together a music system, cues and all, is not quite as time-consuming as actually composing music. I don't expect it's something most programmers could whip up (well) in an hour, but I doubt it'd take weeks, either.

As said previously, setting up the cue system is going to be a real hassle.  It needs to be set up for every event that happens, as well as setting up a multi-track system where necessary.  Bethesda games may have an extraordinarily cheap one-event, one-song system, but in real games, the music is based off of multiple variables and requires a rather long and convoluted system to run it with.  If some elite codeslinger could pull one out of his ass in only a few days, there'd be alot of people who'd want to hire him.  Either that, or the game project is so ridiculously small that you only have a few possible events to code for.