Post Best Defense Systems/"Kill Boxes" Here!

Started by SubZeroBricks, September 03, 2014, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How You Defend Your Base?

Turrets/Mortars
Colonists
Both

MisterVertigo

Thanks for the reply, baekdal. I tried this out last night (with a few less turrets) and it did work very well. The only issue I had was that my enemy's siege cannon took out my power early in the fight, so the first one didn't go so well! :) However, after that it worked great. I need to come up with a good backup power solution to make sure those turrets are always running though.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Monkfish

Unless you happen to have a geothermal vent near to your killbox, you'll want a bank of batteries somewhere near to your killbox that can be connected in the event of an emergency.
<insert witty signature here>

baekdal

Quote from: MisterVertigo on March 27, 2015, 09:37:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, baekdal. I tried this out last night (with a few less turrets) and it did work very well. The only issue I had was that my enemy's siege cannon took out my power early in the fight, so the first one didn't go so well! :) However, after that it worked great. I need to come up with a good backup power solution to make sure those turrets are always running though.

Ahh.. yes. I had that problem too. Solved it by running power in from either end (all connected to power switches. If they take out one path, the power just comes in via the other.

One trick though would be to make the room larger. A distance of 4 between the turrets and the power line prevents power separation. during attacks.

keylocke

hmm.. it seems that not much has changed in vanilla defense systems since the early alphas. but as for the many steel door side entrance (which is a hassle to go through for my workers), my solution is simply just to build a temporary wood wall past the door to block the side entrance in case of an attack.

1) there's a lone turret in front of the side door. this is for distraction, explosion, and auto killing lone psycho animals.
2) behind the side door, there's a stack of wood. this is to be able to quickly build a temporary wall behind the side door in case of attack. (enemies would prefer going through the killzone rather than attack the wood wall.
3) the killzone arrangement has stone walls alternating turrets, which prevents domino explosions. the stone walls also give good cover for my soldiers. and their close proximity to the turrets, allows them to be able to repair it during firefights.
4) in the small chance that enemies manage to go through the kill zone, there are two more exploding turret rooms following the killzone.
5) if they still manage to survive. i ambush them in the prisoner room, using the prisoners as distractions and meat shields.
6) if all else fails, i have an escape hatch that leads to cave mazes throughout the mountain.

------------------------

notes :
-i haven't been building mortars anymore. a squad of cyborg snipers (careful shooters) with powerclaws are my main line of defense and offense, backed by my minigunner squad.
-i rarely draft my melee troopers. but they're great for defending the base corridors, so i keep them at base and only draft when intruders managed to pass through my killzone (very rare)
-i don't use grenadiers anymore, either. has anyone found a really cool way to use them?

PotatoeTater

Quote from: keylocke on March 30, 2015, 09:50:14 PM
-i don't use grenadiers anymore, either. has anyone found a really cool way to use them?

I usually build mountain bases and I make my cooks, who rarely go outside, my grenadiers. Grenades are really good in halls and I also found out that the Triple Rocket Launcher isn't affected really by the quality of it so I buy the shoddy and terrible ones for 100-300 silver and save them for emergencies. My grenadiers then become the rocket holders.
Life is Strange