Early Raider Attacks

Started by barry_scot, November 18, 2013, 05:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry_scot

Every time i try to make a base on randy random, trying to get a large population, i get attacked within the first 3 days when i have hardly anything but a few turrets and a pistol. The annouying thing is that i haven't been able to learn from my mistakes because the raider parties keep getting bigger; the last game i started got attacked by 7 raiders on day 3.

So i guess my question is; is it possible to survive this and if so how?

todofwar

My advice: hold off on the turrets. You'll deal with smaller raiding parties. When you have a decent position, then mess with turrets.

nnescio

Quote from: barry_scot on November 18, 2013, 05:55:39 PM
Every time i try to make a base on randy random, trying to get a large population, i get attacked within the first 3 days when i have hardly anything but a few turrets and a pistol. The annouying thing is that i haven't been able to learn from my mistakes because the raider parties keep getting bigger; the last game i started got attacked by 7 raiders on day 3.

So i guess my question is; is it possible to survive this and if so how?

Yes. Rush blasting charges.

Alternatively, try to collapse roofs on their heads, 'though that tends to use more resources.

Also, don't build too many turrets. The storyteller will send more raiders in response.

barry_scot

thanks for the help; didn't realise that turrets increased the raider count that much. atleast not building turrets helps me with metal as i was building more turrets because of what happened last time :l

Galileus

Barry - I do encourage a no-turrets gameplay. As well as no-blasting-charge-fields. This game has a lot going for it in the way of narrative and sometimes taking loses is going to really improve your immersion with the game.

barry_scot

i understand that i just felt that i was always being out numbered so i built turrets in response; and know i understand that was a big mistake. tomorrow i will have to try again without turrets and see how far i can get. me and my mates have been playing it all weekend and it been a great laugh.

Galileus

Yeah, I absolutely get it. I started by making turret farms and mine fields too - but after trying a non-turret run? Darn it was a blast. Tactical combat is actually quite a lot of fun, and loosing people is a big deal. Really gets you invested much more.

Then Randy started to throw hundreds of raiders at me anyway, so yeah... there's only so much you can expect from pre-alpha ;)

barry_scot

sometimes he just puts 4 raiders down and just before they attack puts another group down just in case i survive :l

DarkThug

Quote from: todofwar on November 18, 2013, 05:59:45 PM
My advice: hold off on the turrets. You'll deal with smaller raiding parties. When you have a decent position, then mess with turrets.
I thought randy random take account in NOTHING and just want to randomly exterminate you ?

In one of my randy game, I have a first raid consist of 12 pistol raiders when I have 8 colonists with only 2 pistols and no defence whatsoever (No sandbag, No turret, Blasting charge not researched yet). I survive it but end up with all colonist heavily injure. Before I recover, second raid land. 16 raiders with some shotgun and m-16. Luckily, a slave trader is around so I sell everything I can and buy 4 slaves as a fresh meat to fight off invader. While I'm holding off this horde of raiders in my cave (The only reason I survive thus far), The third raid land lol. Not many in number like 5-8 (I was like fuck it and stop counting at this point) but all equip with advance weapon like Uzi, M-16, M-24. Thus, I'm watching my helpless colonists get their throat cut in their bed and raiders set the whole cave on fire. That is the beauty of randy game lol.

barry_scot

if thats true that randy take in account of nothing then i can only see it getting worse for me as every time i play the raiders get better equipped and there are more of them :l