Series of newb questions. (Now with more newb questions.)

Started by mejoyh2006, March 31, 2015, 08:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mejoyh2006

Attempting to mesh about 25 MB of mods together for personal use only. (Got tired of 3 advanced storage units doing the same damn thing) Also had a couple of exceedingly weird ideas that came from browsing source files. Since I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to XML and C#, help? Also, are some of these just flat out impossible?

First set of questions was answered. Thanks to skullywag for all the help ^_^

Next set of questions:
1. Has transport ever been tried? Looking at cobbling together a bastard child of the a7 animal taming and the "pirate mecha tank" mods. In stasis right now.

2. Carrying multiple stacks of items. I've seen possible methods in the Nano storage and quantum stockpiles--wanting to "store" up to 8 stacks of items on/in an entity, have it move somewhere, and unload (again--looking at you, Mammoth). Possible to do?

3. Related to that: Method to slow down needs decay while attached to said entity? Or attach a nutrient dispenser to its arse?  ;D

4. Building on water and water ONLY. Is there a special category for this or is it generally completely forbidden?

5. How many objects can a certain square fit? I know power cables can stack with walls, and there are mods for ductwork as well. Thinking of making my own clunky little water system, and routing cables through walls on "top of" the other wiring. Is it dependent on the height, or on the properties of the system? Quantum stockpiles can fit what, 6 stacks of items in one square?

6. Some mods include Assemblies (dll). Some include Source folders with .cs files. Can view dll's. Can edit .cs files. Is it possible to effectively replace .dll assemblies with a well-written Source folder? Right now, I'm having to resort to copy/pasting original assemblies. This causes problems if I want to condense into single files and remove unwanted components, because I can't. (MS Visual Studio is being a pain in my arse. Thank goodness for Notepad++.)

7. Related to previous question. Animated objects: I know the basics are generating a static/toolbar image, then a series of individual frames that cycle from 00 to ...whatever. Can you point me to an example that animates an object with a .cs file, not a DLL, or is this impossible?

Please remember I barely know programming. Examples (even from a4 or a5) are probably better than telling me how to do something. My copy-paste fu is in high gear.  :D  Many thanks for any answers.

-mejoyh2006
-mejoyh2006

skullywag

For question 1 check i core/defs/stuffcategorydefs once you have defined  a new category you can add the relevant stuffcategory to your thingdef.

question 2, id question why you need the structure, if youre just changing textures just change the graphicPath to wherever your new textures are.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

mejoyh2006

I'm trying to come up with something similar to the taxidermy mod, but generic 1x1, 2x1, 2x2, and 3x3 rugs. The stuff system pops in because I want to set 6 or 7 colors (or unique textures, if that's possible) and have them all accessible from a single menu button, dependent on the type of leather I choose to have the rug worked in.

Upon looking at the textures, it appears there's a single one for each stuffcategory that's then modified by a color generator dependent on the stuffprop. I was thinking they were divvied into folders, so "metallic" would have a special "uranium" texture/subfolder/etc. Explains why my placeholder textures weren't working :3
-mejoyh2006

skullywag

yeah stuff works like that, it takes 1 texture then applies the colour from the stuff def onto it. I did a similar thing with omniturrets mod, added a new stuffcategory to make guns stuff, this allowed the turrets to all be built from one button taking a vanilla gun as an ingredient.

Also the Zip I supplied on the texture resource thread doesnt have the structure (and Tynans one might be out of date), so dont rely on them too much for that sort of thing. :)

mejoyh2006

Oh! If it's already posted, I may take a look at that. Was under the impression no mods had done it yet, thus the question. Thank you!  ;D
-mejoyh2006

skullywag

mejoyh2006

Turns out there is a leather component already in the game. Whoo! I just didn't know where to look. On to textures. Blarghityblargh.

Stuffifying things is THE way to go if you don't want to triple the number of buttons on the UI. THANK YOU SO MUCH. OMG. (by the way I love your mods and have a metric ass-ton of them)
-mejoyh2006

skullywag

Sorry my 1st post should have stated that there was a leather stuff category already, I had it in mind but didnt type it, I assumed you would spot it by looking at the file I stated anyways. Which you did.

Yeah im hoping to get lights done soon, not technically stuffed but able to pick multiple colours on 1 light, I see no reason to have 4 different lights of differing colours, hell ive got 7 colours on my light currently im just fixing a bug with the glowgrid then its good to go. (ive been "fixing" this bug for weeks now......grrr)

mejoyh2006

Doesn't the Clutter mod (with the pod bed, locker, cabinet, couch, toilet, etc...) have something similar to that? I saw yellow and violet in the source files too, but don't know if there's a way to put 'em all in one button.
-mejoyh2006