Questions about translating original game.

Started by Latta, February 01, 2015, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

First, non-translatable areas.
Inside the ARCHITECT menu, there are Orders, Zone, Structure, so on. But I can't translate them even if I put a DesignationCategories.xml with something like

<LanguageData>

<Orders.label>OrdersBlah</Orders.label>
    <Orders.description>DescriptionO</Orders.description>

<Zone.label>ZoneBlah</Zone.label>
    <Zone.description>DescriptionZ</Zone.description>
this.
And also, I can't locate where are Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. I know it's not necessary to translate them, but it would be more... preferable.
One more. Terrain types? Like Flat, SmallHills, etc.
Lastly, subtitles in information screen like "Basics", "Melee", "Work"... Where should I look for them?

Second, origin of proper nouns.
Knowing such would help great in translations.
Such as Xerigium(Xeric + ~ium I guess?), Glitterworld(Because they "glitter" with hyper techs?). I'll pass Hyperweave, Plasteel, and Synthread as they are too obvious.
Right now I'm trying to translate Xerigium into "dry weed"(not "dried weed") because Xeric means dry. But I don't have any idea about glitterworld.

Gaesatae

Hi, fellow translator.

I believe that right now there are some things that can't be translated, and I think the Architect menu is one of them. My advice, make a list of everything that didn't get translated, maybe on next releases it will work.

About the nouns, you don't need to be extremely precise in the translation, you just need to transfer the feeling the word gives you in English. The first thing that came to my mind about the origin of Xerigium while translating it, was "Serum" and ~ium just to give it a scientific name feeling. Even if I'm wrong about the origin, it works great as a medicinal herb name in my language.

About Glitterworlds, I love that name. My feeling about it was that only the people from Rimworlds call them by that name, a kind of name that came from envious people. Again, I might be wrong, but I don't feel right using translations like "sparkling, twinkling, shiny" just to refer to the brightness of their cities or tech, or the characteristics of their stellar neighborhood. But it may be enough. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and... well, some things get lost in translation.

Latta

That was one good advice. Thank you! Especially for Xerigium. I should go a lot more around than a bit straight translations.
I really like Glitterworlds too, it sounds awesome and makes me wonder that these worlds should be... glitter. Literally. But still having hard time lol. It easily gets too weird, dull, or um, countrified? I even assigned a note for this word specifically. Anyways, thank you again for the reply.