Got an idea for future modules?

Started by WhackyRavenLand, October 04, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semmy

Quote from: WhackyRavenLand on October 04, 2013, 06:05:35 PM
Quote from: Semmy on October 04, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Check out the forum alot of suggestions already there.

I do think that people need to play the game to get a feeling about what they would like to see more or differently. Or what a good addition would be.

I could not agree more with you on that. As of right now, despite videos and such, everything and anything would be mere speculations.

RB

Also id rather see a good solid foundation for the game first (engine/scripting/ai) than adding more and more.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

oasis789

can multi-z be a module?

for biomes, how about vacuums and toxic atmospheres and >1 and <1 G environments? or are we always landing on a earth-equivalent planet? this is analogous to embarking on a desert or glacier or evil biome in DF.

British

Quote from: oasis789 on October 04, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
can multi-z be a module?
Z-axis has been discussed on some other thread as well as on the KickStarter comments.
This is what Tynan said there:
"I am afraid that there is basically no way a modder would ever be able to mod Z-axis into the game. It is a beast of a feature. Here's some basic issues you'd have to handle:

-Pathfinding
-Lighting spilling over Z-levels
-Save/load of a geometrically larger amount of stuff (e.g. 200x200 map = 40k squares, 200x200x10 = 400k squares!)
-Line of sight for shooting
-AI tactical analysis of shooting lines of sight etc
-Cover usefullness varying at vertical angles
-Interface for moving through Z-levels
-Rendering visible lower Z-levels while being on higher ones

I could go on and on... Anyway, there is tons to do in RimWorld, my general thought is that the best cost/benefit move is to leave Z-levels to Towns, DF, Gnomoria, Stonehearth, and all those other games and focus on what RimWorld is really uniquely about: AI Storyteller, tactical AI, and so on.

So that's another way of explaining why I'm not planning Z-levels soon. But they're possible! Eventually.
"

Now if that "multi-z" of yours means something else than Z-axis and zombies, then please elaborate ;)

AspenShadow

Quote from: Sky_walker on October 04, 2013, 05:04:25 PM
...perhaps even managing of child birth and slowly growing new members of the colony this way - "breeding" people with each other to get desired types (eg. a child of medic and scientist could give medical researcher, while a child of medic and woodcutter would give a surgeon ;P ), etc. etc.

Tynan's already stated somewhere (?) that while colonists will interact and possibly pair up, childbirth is not on his agenda and the only way to replenish your population is through capture, bartering, and random chance encounters. I agree, tbh it takes way too much time for a child to grow and then there are issues with how he can obtain knowledge/skill that only people born off RimWorld would've gained... it makes things more complex than they need to be.

Quote from: oasis789 on October 04, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
can multi-z be a module?
People keep asking for multi-z but I really can't see the appeal, many other games do z much better and focusing away from that and putting more effort into fleshing out and filling the existing two dimensions is what I feel will make this game stand apart.

todofwar

I think a module devoted to a more fleshed out tech tree and one focused on more environmental challenges would be the two I'd like best. And an overhaul of the AI, both on colonist and raiders/wildlife.

peetron

Vlookward

Standing lamps could switch off automatically when they are outside and there is daylight.

aagaard

what about the abilety to build a weapond factory and produse weaponds you then can sell

(you will have to study for each weapond)

Ender

as said before many other places, i want that ONE in particular bit from "eclipse colony" i want, ready for it, everyone reading this im sure already know what im gonna say, i want no air! That was such a brilliant idea, and it had the beginnings of being really well executed to, and then for some reason was just dropped like it wasnt a big deal, or wasn't really a cool part of the game. well theres my 2 cents...
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Team: Colonist

I think that multiple endings (for way in the future) with winning if you survive X amount of days or years, building a ship that could take you to the nearest planet (with cryogenic chambers) or maybe even making your planet transcended.

henrytm82

WhackyRavenLand - you basically asked for an RPG.
It's different genre. ;)
Please, focus on a core of being colony sim instead of drifting away.
I know this was from forever ago, but I only just started playing this and joined the forums. Why can't it be both?

Seriously, I actually really like the idea of it being a combined colony sim+RPG (or, rather, a colony sim with RPG elements). What better way to help a player become more attached to their colonists than to allow even a small amount of customization? It doesn't have to be anything drastic or super-in-depth. Some basic inventory management to give them one item appropriate for their main duties (hoe for gardening, repair kit for maintenance, med kit for doctors) and one weapon (pistol for defense, rifle or shotgun if they're guards/soldiers) wouldn't be terribly out of line for a game like this, and some colony-wide perks could make things more fun, too.

Something like Age of Empires did where you spend resources to research better armor, faster resource gathering, stronger walls, etc. Even some basic individual perks would be neat; they already get better at doing certain jobs the more they do them (you can track this in each of their "Character" screens), so have a few "people" perks in the game that kick in when a colonist reaches a certain level in a certain skill. Reached level 10 in mining? 15% faster! Reached level 15? Chance to drop double the amount of metal if this person mines it!

Something like this could add a great deal of depth to the game, and give players a reason to assign specific jobs to specific people in their colony, and would help give each of the colonists more of a unique feel.
"When you know not of what you speak, your mouth is best used for chewing."
-Walter Slovotsky

Bemoteajh

It's different genre. ;)

NO
this game is an rpg/rts/sim/(defend your castle/dawn of war II)
your playing a defensive god trying to protect his followers
thats what a god game really is

Galileus

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Bemoteajh on January 09, 2014, 06:15:25 PM
It's different genre. ;)

NO
this game is an rpg/rts/sim/(defend your castle/dawn of war II)
your playing a defensive god trying to protect his followers
thats what a god game really is

Not a god game, its a simulation and management game.
Same genre as dwarf fortress basically
of course with better graphics then dwarf fortress better story telling and a scifi style.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Untrustedlife

It's different genre. ;)
Please, focus on a core of being colony sim instead of drifting away.
BTW: Character creation is already in as far as I seen in the vids. ;)

What I'd love though are things like advanced infection modelling allowing people to experience an epidemic in your base and handling it differently (eg. quarantine zones, vaccine development, experimentation with drugs and herbs to cure disease itself, or just it's symptoms, various medical equipments and skills leading to different outcomes and resource management, perhaps some crazy twists from time to time, like a disease that turns people into psychopaths, or one that makes them go towards the sun... forever... or one that makes them thirsty... thirsty till they explode of drinking water ;) ).

It'd be great to have a simulation on how environment affects people and colony - for example a fight for water should be one of major topics with drilling wells, creating water deposits, managing contamination, sending your colonists to look for a new sources, creating irrigation systems, and how it's more difficult on desert than anywhere else. How lush green terrain means constant fight with bushes and a need to clean your farms regularly. How invasive animals attack plantations, even more so when these are mono-cultural, and how inventing a herbicides can lead to contamination of water or food. Simulate how different plants can scare off critters or animals from destroying crops, and how plants in glass houses require man-made pollination - which means more maintenance work during some parts of the season. etc. etc.

Also more advance modeling of social relations would be IMHO very beneficial to the gameplay, especially when it comes to people creating small groups, fights for leadership, different leadership models (eg. democratic, authoritarian, council of elders), couples, people living through the loss of second half, perhaps even managing of child birth and slowly growing new members of the colony this way - "breeding" people with each other to get desired types (eg. a child of medic and scientist could give medical researcher, while a child of medic and woodcutter would give a surgeon ;P ), etc. etc.
You have a neat idea here
and I believe adding to this:
that players should be able ot tame the local wildlife for fighting purposes. I want an "attack muffalo".
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK