Pregnancy as another way to boost numbers

Started by TheLastOneOnly, April 02, 2015, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: A Friend on July 16, 2017, 11:42:24 PM
That's already been discussed numerous times in the previous pages.
And was there a verdict on whether or not it was a good idea?

Toggle

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on July 19, 2017, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: A Friend on July 16, 2017, 11:42:24 PM
That's already been discussed numerous times in the previous pages.
And was there a verdict on whether or not it was a good idea?

Holy shitting necro people.

It's a no. Unless you add some bull about growing them to adult age in a bloody vat, which you may as well just buy them from a trader then, you can't gain colonists through babies, it just takes too long. Think about how much just 3 years is in rimworld time. By 3 years in you've either completed the game, or you don't plan to 'complete' it, and you could have a massive colony of actual workers vs pregnancy with a 3 year old useless toddler. I'd feed the toddler to the meat tree, and that'd be it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JimmyAgnt007

60+ in my colony of less than 10 years and I stopped recruiting people a while ago, unless they were really good.  A 'vat growth' solution would be neat since its a part of the lore but anything else just takes too much time to be worth it.  Had I had a baby born on day 1, they would still not be able to contribute to the colony yet.  So even in my long term games with no escape planned, it just doesnt make sense.

Boston

Why do you people think children are useless until they hit some random age?

My 4 year-old niece cleans the house, puts things away, helps with gardening and even with cooking.

NOTE: there is already a mod that has children and pregnancy, called........ uh, "Children and Pregnancy". In it, children are only really 'useless", in the sense that they can't use skills, until they are 4 years old..... and even then, the mood bonuses from children being born make them far from useless.

A Friend

Quote from: Boston on July 20, 2017, 06:04:00 PM
NOTE: there is already a mod that has children and pregnancy, called........ uh, "Children and Pregnancy". In it, children are only really 'useless", in the sense that they can't use skills, until they are 4 years old..... and even then, the mood bonuses from children being born make them far from useless.

Never tested the mod myself but from what I'm hearing, it looks the like the way to go if one is implement children into vanilla.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Thirite

The thing people don't consider is that not everything has to be "useful" to be a worthy part of the game. Children provide not only a challenge but also new mechanics to create unique scenarios in game. And that's what RimWorld is supposed to be, a story generator. Not a vatgrown army simulator. (Though I will eventually be adding spacer tech growth vats)

I'd also like to point out the mods have stated various times performing necromancy on a thread is preferable to making a duplicate, if a user still wants to discuss the same topic.