Pregnancy as another way to boost numbers

Started by TheLastOneOnly, April 02, 2015, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toggle

If you were to go to page 173 of the suggestions forum, the first page, and click the 3RD FORUM POST, it's literally about reproduction. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=70.0 I think Tynan gets it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Elixiar

I would not like this feature in Rimworld.

Just throwing out my 2 cents.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Toggle

Ketzerei
Aka heresy in german and flashy letters.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Boston

Guys, it is probably going to happen. Someone will mod the "animal husbandry" mechanics to allow for children.

And, to be quite frank, it makes sense. I mean, a month is 10 days, why is it such a big deal if someone wants to go for "the long game"?

I am more concerned about the fact that the colonists don't have any sort of interpersonal relationships other than "had a nice chat". Bunch of socially-repressed knobheads.

Besides, I'v killed raiders that were 15. Entirely reasonable age for "adulthood".

In colonies in the real world, women were often shipped in after the colony was established, in order to marry and have children (take a look at Jamestown). The colony often wasn't considered "permanent" until there were children present.

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: Boston on August 17, 2015, 10:11:42 AM
I am more concerned about the fact that the colonists don't have any sort of interpersonal relationships other than "had a nice chat". Bunch of socially-repressed knobheads.

^
^
Yup that bugs me too. Something is still "missing" in this survival game and couldn't put my finger on it. Think you may be on to something there.

DF didn't have an issue with families/relationships and such ruining the survival feel so not sure why it wouldn't work on some level in this game. I couldn't honestly imagine DF without those elements. Wives/husbands/children mourning deaths of other family members really gave substance to an otherwise potentially "lifeless" feeling game. And all the stories those families created on their own without the player's involvement just added an amazing amount of immersion for me. Hell imho the biggest draw of DF was in fact the stories/history created by those relations.

Don't get me wrong here, not thinkin "SIMS" style management(don't want direct control of who talks to who sorta crap).  Instead leaving everything up to your colonists desires and chance in that regard. As long as it doesn't take over the entire game I think it's a much needed addition in some form. Although, part of a DLC or Expansion at this point seems more likely. Game is close to beta already isn't it?
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

JimmyAgnt007

This is in the frequently suggested list.  Also the reason families and such are a bigger deal with RW is that unlike DF, RW takes place over a much shorter period of time.  Years fly by in DF in the time it takes a few months in RW.  So the timescale is a major factor.  I cant comment on if it will end up being put in eventually.  Just that there are other things to focus on for now.

Carlyscarlet

I really want to see procreation, children, and families happen. To me it makes the game feel more rich. Yes, there is the problem with aging, but did people really complain when DF added children and their long age? Not really... They got around it with either building rich stories or sadistic baby munching contraptions. Which is likely to happen here as well if its added.

For a person who likes to makes stories with her games, families and kids really feel necessary. Even in the brutal world of RimWorld, love and life can happen. I don't really care how long they take to age, it doesn't really matter. If they grow up, that's great and is a testament to the colony's age and success. If not, well than that adds to the stories and struggles of its inhabitants. Maybe their kids get kidnapped by pirates. What if they die in a famine? How will the parents deal with that? How does the colony adjust? It all adds more richness to the game if your big on the story element.

Schooling could be done by a dedicated teacher (a role not just for children, but for all colonists that need a bit of education). If no teacher, then they are educated by parents.

Age can be 15 years to adult or something, maybe older. Older children can help out with hauling and cleaning.

JimmyAgnt007

youngest colonists you can get are 14, but playing 14 years in RW takes a long time.  Now I agree that it would be a welcome addition.  Maybe animal stuff is paving the way for it.  But thats a long time to have a useless little suicide machine running about.  DF you can mostly just ignore the kids.  We shall just have to wait and see.  Personally id like to see vat-grown colonists become a thing.

A Friend

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on August 18, 2015, 07:48:03 AM
Quote from: Boston on August 17, 2015, 10:11:42 AM

^
^
Yup that bugs me too. Something is still "missing" in this survival game and couldn't put my finger on it. Think you may be on to something there.

DF didn't have an issue with families/relationships and such ruining the survival feel so not sure why it wouldn't work on some level in this game. I couldn't honestly imagine DF without those elements. Wives/husbands/children mourning deaths of other family members really gave substance to an otherwise potentially "lifeless" feeling game. And all the stories those families created on their own without the player's involvement just added an amazing amount of immersion for me. Hell imho the biggest draw of DF was in fact the stories/history created by those relations.

Don't get me wrong here, not thinkin "SIMS" style management(don't want direct control of who talks to who sorta crap).  Instead leaving everything up to your colonists desires and chance in that regard. As long as it doesn't take over the entire game I think it's a much needed addition in some form. Although, part of a DLC or Expansion at this point seems more likely. Game is close to beta already isn't it?

Off topic-ish

I read somewhere Tynan say that relationships/better pawn interactions MIGHT be next big thing he MAY work on for A13

Even so, I would love interpersonal relationships. The game is marketed as a story generator. Drama, conflict, and hopefully some heartwarming moments between your colonists would very much bring out those stories and give a bit more life to the telepathic2dcolonymenthateatpeopleandwearhumanhats. (I prefer the story aspect more than the colony simulator part myself.)
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

zandadoum

Quote from: BetaSpectre on April 02, 2015, 05:45:20 AM
Commonly suggested. But here's the issue.

How long do you normally play?
A year? Two years?
Imagine needing 18 years?

IMO births would be near impossible to sustain. Though It is something worth considering IMO the only replication will be clones. Due to the time factor mostly.

it has also already been suggested in other posts that the current ingame cryo technology could be used to either speed up the growing process of childs, or plain and simply make clones.

JimmyAgnt007

growth vats are a thing that exist within the lore for RW since some backgrounds indeed state that.  So Id love to see that getting implemented.  Cryo pods do the opposite of age people.  Stasis slows down the passage of time, so hyper pods could accelerate it.  Maybe a device that two people enter, some time passes and they come out with a fully raised child?

xlockeed

Longest game I have played was ten years. The entire map was mined out and I was getting bored with the massive waves of corpses every ten minutes. Even Let's Plays do not last that long. Now imagine having to play twice that length to have these kids grow up.

Or worse the time table is cut in half and all your pawns age twice as fast to balance in babies, kids, youth then teen colonists. Now everyone ages faster just like in the game Banished. Now you have to micro manage the cycle of dying colonists along with old age aliments. Pretty much fun just left and annoying just took over. Now lets get into some more what ifs.

1.Housing bedding for the kids.
2.Feeding of babies.
3.Controlling where the "JimmyAgnt007 ~  useless little suicide machine running about" Zones.
4.If it is random then it would rank right up there with wandering joins annoyance.
5.You have a hard map and cannot control population when copulation is running rampant.
6. Relationship bad mood break outs and colonists maiming each other randomly. We already have mood breaks now imagine it times however more with relationships / love triangles.

You do know there is a sex mod for rimworld. Pretty sure that guy will add the husbandry to it (unless it was removed or abandoned). But as for it in vanilla game. I'll let Mike answer that one for you.
https://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ 
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

akiceabear

On possibly interesting way to incorporate child birth (but a huge function, admittedly) is to allow skipping a few years in your colony. I.e. the child is born, you play a year with the infant, and year when age 7/8, and then resume normal speed again when they are 15 (adult). This time slipping would need to include mechanisms for "random" changes in colony population, aging, injuries, structures, etc and thus might be unpalatable to OCD players (we all know who we are). That said, it could also be very story rich - almost similar in nature to the Life among the ruins thread.

xlockeed

Quote from: akiceabear on August 19, 2015, 12:24:05 AM
On possibly interesting way to incorporate child birth (but a huge function, admittedly) is to allow skipping a few years in your colony. I.e. the child is born, you play a year with the infant, and year when age 7/8, and then resume normal speed again when they are 15 (adult). This time slipping would need to include mechanisms for "random" changes in colony population, aging, injuries, structures, etc and thus might be unpalatable to OCD players (we all know who we are). That said, it could also be very story rich - almost similar in nature to the Life among the ruins thread.

Time jumping? And lets say you have four new babies. The game would be all over the place. Last thing I want is a fade to black and come back to a half burning down colony because of "elapsed time for Timmy to grow up".

Cloning vats get a 1+ Toss in random traits upon creation or a lab mishap event and you got more story there for you.
Babies -1 I do not want Simsworld
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

Carlyscarlet

Honestly, to me, I don't think children should be a viable way to increase population.To me, they should be there to add depth to the story of the game, not convenience the player. Sure, most won't grow up before the ship is built, but that doesn't matter. The story will then go that pawn A and pawn B and their child escaped and are living together on another world. And if they die by accident or raiders, more story. And if they grow to adults, hooray, a functioning pawn.

Not sure if about rushing the process. Feels a bit gamey and silly even for this universe. Why would parents decide to rush their child to adulthood? What are the effects? Honestly, it feels like giving the player power to circumvent part of the game. If it does get added though, I think there should be penalties like them having no skills or passions.