Pregnancy as another way to boost numbers

Started by TheLastOneOnly, April 02, 2015, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

You people so ardently against is do realize that a major reason as to why "ancient"/rural populations had/have so many children is so they can help with the work, right? (the other major reason is high infant mortality, which in and of itself could be a form of in-game balance)

In countless cultures across the globe, children as young as 5 helped with weaving (mostly the spinning of thread), with the gathering of firewood (gathering, splitting, stacking, etc), cleaning, hauling of supplies, cutting/gathering of crops, gathering of water, etc etc etc.And, when it was time for planting crops, EVERYONE was doing it. The kids weren't sitting on the sides because they were "too young".

Children aren't USELESS until they hit 12, and suddenly they can do things. Sure, they might not be able to do the work to the same "efficiency" as an adult, but that also frees up the adult to do more "important" work.  If giving a 6-year-old kid "chores" (Here, keep the kitchen and cafeteria clean, while Daddy goes and does science for a bit) frees up my other colonists, you are damn sure those kids are going to get some chores!

Oh, and all those "teacher" backgrounds? They could totally have some use. One adult works as a "teacher" teaching kids basic RRR, or you could send an older child/teenager to "trade school", where they get apprenticed to a skilled worker, and pick up that same skill at a reduced rate by proxy from working with and learning from them.

Finally, I don't understand why so many people are in such a hurry to "get on the ship" and leave. That ends the game, doesn't it? At least with children and "mulitple generations", you could have a colony for as long as you wanted.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Boston on August 21, 2015, 01:15:42 AM
Children aren't USELESS until they hit 12, and suddenly they can do things. Sure, they might not be able to do the work to the same "efficiency" as an adult, but that also frees up the adult to do more "important" work.  If giving a 6-year-old kid "chores" (Here, keep the kitchen and cafeteria clean, while Daddy goes and does science for a bit) frees up my other colonists, you are damn sure those kids are going to get some chores!

They totally are! Watch "The Road" (2009) with Viggo Mortensen.
You're talking about tribal children, this game is about urbworld/midworld/caveworld/glitterworld people. Video gamers, artists, people who won't haul or firefight if their life depends on it. Every 70 year old is frail and has bad back, maybe dementia, be grateful if both eyes don't have cataracts.

zandadoum

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 21, 2015, 02:26:59 AM
yeah, coz a movie depicts the reality 100% accurately, hum?

children are useless? NIKE factories in india might want to disagree with you

StorymasterQ

Quote from: zandadoum on August 21, 2015, 03:14:10 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on August 21, 2015, 02:26:59 AM
yeah, coz a movie depicts the reality 100% accurately, hum?
YES! AND SO ARE GAMES!
Sorry, I shouldn't yell outside the Count to 9000 thread.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

JimmyAgnt007

Relax people.

The balance of when they start working vs too young is something that can be balanced once the feature is in place.  Fully productive doesnt start until 14, the lowest age you can generate currently.  Even that can be up for debate. 

Most of the colonists wont be from cultures that use child labor to the extent that some do.  But once again that should be a factor decided by the player in game.  Do the spend more time having fun? working? or in a classroom learning?

Mortality in children in survival situations like this would indeed be high.  To balance against rapid breeding.  They should age normally (like the rest of the colonists) and maybe unlock a single skill at a time or something.

Whatever the actual balance implemented, it would be a complex system that just isnt in the cards until interpersonal relationships and 10+year game content are implemented. 

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on August 21, 2015, 08:26:21 AMWhatever the actual balance implemented, it would be a complex system that just isnt in the cards until interpersonal relationships and 10+year game content are implemented.

Relationships could be ones of the next things we get according to Ty. And isnt this idea 10+ year content in of its self?

Toggle

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on August 21, 2015, 02:40:29 PM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on August 21, 2015, 08:26:21 AMWhatever the actual balance implemented, it would be a complex system that just isnt in the cards until interpersonal relationships and 10+year game content are implemented.

Relationships could be ones of the next things we get according to Ty. And isnt this idea 10+ year content in of its self?

It isn't 10+ year of in-gameplay content because you do the same things for the rest of the 7 years at least, and get bored.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

akiceabear

QuoteIt isn't 10+ year of in-gameplay content because you do the same things for the rest of the 7 years at least, and get bored.

Strongly agree - simply adding children won't radically change how repetitive a colony is after the first couple years. Basically the only thing changing after the population stabilizes is

Will post separately on this topic, as your comment as stimulate some thoughts...

«Temple»

If children were added then Tynan would have to add a feature to attack the pirate base because if I lost a child I would send my army of 30 at them.

JimmyAgnt007

Relationships is content that starts right away.  I was referring to 10+year content (politics, legal stuff, whatever else) separately.  Just that I think both need to be put in before children are really worried about.  Otherwise we get tired of things before the children are able to contribute at all. 

In the mean time any reproduction should be vat-grown to save time.  Relationships are more important though.  I think Tynan is making the right calls so far with things and not biting off more than he can code. 

Karrade

I am amazed this is not yet in the game. Yes there is some suspension of disbelief needed, but I am very much in the camp of gameplay over realism in a strategy game, that's why I play them for the gameplay and sandbox nature.

On a personal note - Part of the appeal of these games is maintaining a population and having a history. Random people turning up are okay but not ideal.

I can see this as being one of the main things people attempt to mod in, but I can also see the issue is split, so a toggle in the options is my opinion as to the best implementation, with some research needed to speed up population growth if enabled to make it a mid game thing. Someone mentioned cloning which of course would also work, personally if that is the case i'd prefer tank babies, with genetic material needed from a mother and father, and possible random things that could happen when a new character is created.

From super babies, to those who have a penalty for being 'tank born'.

Oga88

Pregnancy that is hard. I think RW at least needs to start with male and female pawns to share rooms. And get a mood bonus from that. If they get along, joy could be worked you some way in this idea. Just a thought.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Oga88 on September 10, 2015, 05:35:42 PM
Pregnancy that is hard. I think RW at least needs to start with male and female pawns to share rooms. And get a mood bonus from that. If they get along, joy could be worked you some way in this idea. Just a thought.

Lets be progressive here.  Any pawns should be able to share rooms regardless of gender.  Also we are currently working on having same gender parents in the real world so it should be possible in Rimworld as well. 

keylocke

simplest solution? age boosters

baby : 0-1 year
child : 1-14 years (they can haul and clean)
adult : 15+

using an age booster will automatically add 15 years, but cannot be used on babies. (only for children or adult) -- it can be used similar to neurotrainers

Miloch

I'm replying to this thread as opposed to starting a new one because it is linked from the FAQ/FSI (suggested ideas).  I think the whole limited time argument doesn't work because you are basing it on the fact that the colony starts right there and there wouldn't be kids present.  But... that's not necessarily true.  Some people could start with children.  I honestly think it'd be a fun challenge mode to start a colony of nothing but kids.  You would base what the children could do on their current age.  Doesn't seem so difficult to me.  Would obviously need another job to take care of the kids, though I suppose you could use the doctor.  Base babies in cribs needing food on someone who is bed ridden and needs taking care of, something we already have.  We already have a birth system with animals.  I don't think it'd be hard to keep many of the thing simular. :)