Fire: Too much

Started by antibodee, April 02, 2015, 05:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antibodee

In my opinion, fire is much too big a part of the game.  So many bad roads lead to fire.  Every storm starts 5 fires, ever power explosion causes fires, and it's not very fun to much, more so an annoyance.   I feel fire events occur far too often.

bartekkru100

What about lightning rods? Also it's pretty annoying when a fire spreads on solar panels, because you can't get to the middle blocks, so what about adding fire extinguisher that could reach extinguish fires that are 3 grids ahead?

Silvador

If you ask me, fire isn't enough of a hazard. As it stand, when a fire reaches a big enough size, the game automatically rains to stop its spread. Personally, I would like (at least as an optional toggle) fire that was more realistic. Of course, this would be with the addition of another method or two to more effectively fight fire. But with realistic fire and the potential to burn the entire map to the ground, it creates a very real threat which reflects its priority standing and can even be used from a tactical standpoint. Right now, Incendiary mortars are all but useless because after a couple of shots, by the time they reach what you want them to burn (unless you are very luck and get a near-direct hit), the rain has or is about to kick in and put that fire out.

Additionally, creating artificial fire breaks would be something that could be implemented as a preemptive measure to combat fire spread around your colony. Perhaps even a new 'profession' could be made, Firefighter, or Fire Wrangler. That person could deal specifically with handling fires. A higher level would make that person more efficient at putting out a fire, or coordinating a group of people to put out larger ones (without a high skilled firefighter, the colonists might perform a little chaotically when combating a large fire, but with a highly skilled firefighter present, they would act more organised and effectively), and even creating and maintaining firebreaks. A high skill would reduce the risk of fire getting out of control when creating a firebreak, also.

Hmm, perhaps I should make this into its own thread...

Regret

Quote from: bartekkru100 on April 02, 2015, 06:21:27 AM
What about lightning rods? Also it's pretty annoying when a fire spreads on solar panels, because you can't get to the middle blocks, so what about adding fire extinguisher that could reach extinguish fires that are 3 grids ahead?
metal walls should be made to work like that.

SSS

I agree with Silvador. I feel like fires aren't very dangerous anymore; I'd like to see them become more threatening than they are currently with the auto-rain feature.

antibodee

They always tend to lag me out, so I suppose I never associate them with fun.  I have a decent system, and I barely lag with 100 colonists, but the moment one flame is on my screen it's 2fps until it's put out or I move the camera.

Covered in Weasels

Quote from: antibodee on April 02, 2015, 02:32:47 PM
They always tend to lag me out, so I suppose I never associate them with fun.  I have a decent system, and I barely lag with 100 colonists, but the moment one flame is on my screen it's 2fps until it's put out or I move the camera.

I think this is the real reason why the game rains when too much fire spreads across the map. If a small fire can cause that much lag, a whole burning forest could render the game unplayable.

antibodee

I've got the newest link installed, but it still lags like that.  There was one time, and it was very stange, the fire looked different and more cartoony (same version, no idea why) and when that happened there was no lag at all.  It looked like fire from prison architect.

Kegereneku

I can't say the fire is too threatening to me. Only once did I had a problem with fire that threatened my turret, crop field and walls, and the fact that all I really needed was to contain it long enough for rain to kick in make it a balanced feature.

It was refreshingly challenging in fact, I would like it to happen more often.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Monkfish

I don't consider fires threatening unless I've only got one (of three) colonists that can firefight. Even moreso when they're 79 and made from dry biscuits. Half of the fires that occur in the home region are caused by rain and can be ignored. It's only really a ship part event or something short-circuiting and exploding all over the place that causes any concern.
<insert witty signature here>

Silvador

I've never had any issues with lag when there's fire. Maybe it's just me.

I understand that the "sprinkler system" (rain) is very possibly a place holder of sorts for future addition/tweaking. But I do hope that fire is much more of a threat than it is now, in the future.

Fuhman

Instead of looking for ways to make the game easier, why not find ways to balance it? Fire isn't an issue, but like most things it can be fatal if not kept in check, much like fire is in real life. Why make it less on an issue?

ja7833

I think fire needs to be balanced by adding additional ways to fight it: fire extinguishers etc.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

SSS

Quote from: ja7833 on April 02, 2015, 09:05:34 PM
I think fire needs to be balanced by adding additional ways to fight it: fire extinguishers etc.
Firefighting is already a work type. Idk why it isn't a skill that can be trained.

PotatoeTater

Yeah, with the auto rain feature it's easy to beat a fire. As with the solar panels burning up when the fire hits the middle, in real life fire is really dangerous and destroys most buildings even with a fire department responding right away.
Life is Strange