What is the current state of Rimworld on Greelight?

Started by rikkarth, March 21, 2015, 11:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatyguy

ItchyFlea

Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 10:22:51 AM
You won't get the Steam key when/if it is released. And that's why people are holding back.

Where do you get this info? This is the current statement regarding Steam keys:

QuoteIt depends when you bought the game. If you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014 you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. If you bought the game after that, we will try to get you a Steam key but Valve's policies prevent us from being able to guarantee this.

Nothing in that states that you will not get a Steam key.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

rikkarth

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 03:05:53 PM
Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 22, 2015, 02:32:13 PMNothing in that states that you will not get a Steam key.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2m90ma/why_wont_i_get_the_steam_key_if_i_bought_it_after/cm2iejg

Everything stated there tells me you'r not gonna make it.
I don't see anything there that says, "No."
Tynan promised to try, and that it was a possibility that there wouldn't be Steam keys beyond that date.

That being said, I'd still recommend that people that REALLY want Steam keys should hold off for a Steam release. Some people are okay with making a second purchase, but most are not, and there's the possibility of not getting a Steam key by purchasing now.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Cazakatari

I don't see what the issue would be even if you can't get a steam key.  Tynan stated that everyone who pays will continue to receive updates regardless

REMworlder

Basically getting a steam key offers two things:

1) Convenience of Steam DRM.
2) Possible Steam workshop integration. (?)

The current SendOwl setup is good for me. That said, I like DRM-free games that I can throw on a usb drive, and I bought before the possible cutoff. For Steam workshop, it's great for games that games are really awkward to mod (eg, you'd be replacing files in multiple locations). RimWorld has a mod folder and launch menu, so workshop support is less important.

Cazakatari

I've never seen DRM as a convenience even on steam. Thats just me though

Mikhail Reign

Steam DRM isn't a requirement of being on steam. There are plenty of games that use steam that are DRM free.

falcongrey

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on March 23, 2015, 04:28:14 AM
Steam DRM isn't a requirement of being on steam. There are plenty of games that use steam that are DRM free.

Agreed on this. Most of the DRM free games on Steam, you remove the 'Steam' files which is usually 1 or 2 DLL files and an INI file and the game launches without steam. That or set Steam to OFFLINE mode (which is automatic now if it can't connect to the internet).

Steam to me is merely convenience. In Steams early years, it was inconvenience and problems but they have improved in some areas. Granted, they got worse in others but that is life. At least most of the time their tech support and customer support try to be helpful now.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: falcongrey on April 02, 2015, 05:51:06 PMMost of the DRM free games on Steam, you remove the 'Steam' files which is usually 1 or 2 DLL files and an INI file and the game launches without steam.

Its not even that. I can think of about 15 games off the top of my head that are distributed through steam, which have no DRM at all, don't require modification of game files and will work with steam running or not. Project Zomboid doesnt have DRM. Prison Architect doesnt have DRM. Kerbal Space Programs doesnt have DRM. The Masterplan doesn't have DRM. Dead State. DEFCON. The Escapists. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. Spacebase DF9. Paper Please. The Long Dark. I am Bread. Survivalists..... I have more.

The majority of these games started on steam in EA, sold well in EA, and for that ones that are V1.0+, does well after release (Spacebase the obvious exception because of its pump and dump sale strat).

TLHeart

Quote from: rikkarth on March 22, 2015, 07:59:09 AM
Quote from: akiceabear on March 22, 2015, 02:50:05 AM
I think it's fine for him to wait - he doesn't "owe" it to anyone to release on Steam, now or ever. I say that as someone that would welcome a Steam version - but am not particularly concerned about the timing.

The thing is that I'm not bothered if the game doesn't release on Steam, but since the ones who buy Rimworld now won't get the steam key, that is kinda holding people back. Because it would be unfair for some people to buy Rimworld and not get the Steam key while a lot of people who bought before the 4th November or something will get it.

So I'm concerned if Rimworld gets fast on Steam or not because I want to know if I'll have to buy the website version or not.

Didn't hold me back one bit.  And I have already gotten $60 worth of enjoyment out of the game.  Now if I have to pay for a steam key somewhere down the road, so be it, at that time I will decide if the money is worth the entertainment value, or by then will I have moved on to another game.