Scary accurate Incendiary morter fire!

Started by Beathrus, April 05, 2015, 03:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beathrus

So, I was playing a while ago, and I was attacked by Raiders, no big deal, they were setting up for a siege, getting out their mortars and I was ready to roll with two snipers and a brawler; plan was to fish and get them to attack... Then the Fire Nation attacked! No, really; they set up Incendiary Mortars and I could barely leave my base. At the time, I had/have about 10 people, and every 2 shots out of 3 were hitting right onto my farm lands, generators, solar panels, or actually inside my base.

This confused the heck out of me, because I was pretty sure mortars aren't that accurate, since before than, I had someone with shooting 14, manning one to shoot at my first Ancient alien ship; but these guys, even with skills of 1 and 3, were able to not only hit into my base, but when I finally gave in, and ran my 3 units out to them, were following them as they ran into position with the mortar shots. Like, if Jimmy " Bob " Duncan was just a bit slower, he'd have been burnt by one of those scary shots!

So, honestly does the AI just get cheat-y after the second or third year and get ridiculously good with mortars even if their skills are shite?

b0rsuk

Is your base very cramped ? They tend to hit something if it's not sparse.

REMworlder

Mortars in alpha 9 are definitely more accurate than in previous patches; maybe that's what happened? I've actually started using mortars more because of the better accuracy.

Beathrus

Quote from: REMworlder on April 05, 2015, 03:56:56 AM
Mortars in alpha 9 are definitely more accurate than in previous patches; maybe that's what happened? I've actually started using mortars more because of the better accuracy.

Well, my base isn't that dense, its more they repeatedly hit in one area, without missing. Like, before, earlier in the same game, the morters would go far off to the side, or not get anywhere near. This time though, it was like, almost pinpoint they basically hit along the exact same line, repeatedly. And with operators with skills of 1 and 3, this seemed like a bug, or just really cheaty to me. Because, like I said, I could barely hit something using a mortar, commanded by someone with a higher skill.

skullywag

it could be they locked on to something and 1 of the random force miss locations was also in your base, sounds like a simple symptom of the forced miss mechanic. I mean they werent hitting what they were aiming at, which btw is the best way i find to use mortors, aim at something near what you actually want to hit.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

PotatoeTater

Honestly though in real life mortars can be pinpoint accurate depending on the crew.
Life is Strange

Beathrus

Quote from: potatoetater on April 05, 2015, 05:06:19 AM
Honestly though in real life mortars can be pinpoint accurate depending on the crew.

x.x That is the thing though, The 'Gunners' were crud. Like I said, Skill levels 1 and 3. I mean, does Shooting even affect mortars? If not, what skill does?

antibodee

I was told skills do not have an effect on mortar.

Beathrus

Quote from: antibodee on April 05, 2015, 01:22:45 PM

x.x Oh... I really don't like Incendairy mortars. All my trees... and everything else that lights on fire. x.x

ZestyLemons

Quote from: antibodee on April 05, 2015, 01:22:45 PM

Skill affects mortars, actually.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

hyperkiller

Quote from: REMworlder on April 05, 2015, 03:56:56 AM
my guys still cant hit anything lol, one of my maps i had a ship crash and i tried to mortar it, took all 20 of my shells and none of them even hit it.

Silvador

Mortars are not -that- accurate, but there is a random factor to consider. There's every possability, slim though it may be, that the OP has simply gotten a string of really terrible bad luck.... or in the raider's case, really lucky shots.

Beathrus

Quote from: Silvador on April 06, 2015, 11:10:50 PM
Mortars are not -that- accurate, but there is a random factor to consider. There's every possability, slim though it may be, that the OP has simply gotten a string of really terrible bad luck.... or in the raider's case, really lucky shots.

I think it was a bit of both, since they attacked me... And I had explosives. :3 Sure, they caused me to re-build a bit, but all they really did, was give a few of my people burns, and remind me to build all the things out of stone. xD