Anyone else getting psycotic animals an insane amount?

Started by Mikhail Reign, February 20, 2015, 05:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Yeah, so there actually was a bug. A really bad one, right in the depths of my mean-time-between random generator. I've fixed it, as well as made some small tuning changes, and released a hotfix. See ludeon.com.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Foxador

Quote from: Tynan on February 21, 2015, 01:46:45 AM
Yeah, so there actually was a bug. A really bad one, right in the depths of my mean-time-between random generator. I've fixed it, as well as made some small tuning changes, and released a hotfix. See ludeon.com.

The hotfix makes mention that it only affects animals going crazy, I'm curious if it also makes it so all random events will be slower now or back to 'normal'?  It's not just the animals going crazy, all events are firing off super fast.

Tynan

It will slow everything down, I believe. The error I fixed was deep in the heart of the Rand class; I'm just praying it didn't break something else.

That said, it now does what it's supposed to do.

Mikhail Reign

Heh. Gunna miss that stage. Just as a update, continued the colony today with the old version and kept track this time of the breaks. Over the course of a full day/night day I had: 5 insane cobras, 3 boars and 2 monkeys, all separate instances (2 cobras were only a couple of seconds apart), all while being under siege by another faction.... Sooo yeah, happy that's gunna change!

tommytom

Quote from: Rock5 on February 20, 2015, 11:45:47 PM
Well... I realized he was being sarcastic. :) I think it could be taken as a given that no one would seriously suggest adding Zombies to vanilla.
Heh.
I thought twice about editing my post to "inb4 zombies suggestion" but let it lie. I like my jokes/sarcasm to be original instead of manufactured, sense/funniness be damned.

Tynan

If anyone has any feedback on the event density of Alpha9d I'd love to hear it.

tommytom

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 02:02:01 AM
If anyone has any feedback on the event density of Alpha9d I'd love to hear it.
Seems fine to me so far.
Probably increased, but by no means is it excessive. At least in my playthrough.

5+ raids. 2-3 animal attacks (I think single, single, then horde of squirrels).

Mikhail Reign

Yeah I continued the same save and the insane animals event happened waaay less. Definitely a more reasonable amount. Before I was getting 2-4 IA events WHILE I was dealing with a raid :P. I see them as a sorta 'side event' like the space drops - something that happens when nothing is happening.

warden

I'm running the latest alpha and i'm getting absolutely ridiculous amounts of psychotic animals on Randy. The other storytellers don't give me such numbers, so it's Randy-specific. I don't know if it's intended to be this stupid, but seriously i'm getting a mad animal every minute.

They come in "waves" where at first i get more of the normal random events such as travelers, crashed goods etc, and then the madness begins: a crazed animal every 30-90 seconds or something. Maybe 10-20 animals total, i haven't counted but it's ridiculous. I can barely kill one when another goes berserk.

If it's intentional, it could sure use some actual randomization instead of regular waves of a dozen. Other than this, i like Randy the best as it makes the game far more interesting. Can i tone down the animal attacks myself, in case Tynan doesn't consider this something to be adjusted officially?

Tynan

warden, check your version. What you're describing should be impossible on the latest build.

warden

Version 0.9.727, also says the build is the latest version. I'd happily provide the savegame, but i do run some mods. Nothing that affects animal behavior or storytellers as far as the mod descriptions go, though.

edit: i'll disable mods and test. Not sure if i can disable everything, some mods add stuff i've constructed, last time i disabled something like that the game didn't load. But most i can get rid of to see if it makes any difference.

warden

Well, call me a moron. There actually was a mod that affected animals; Less Incident Trolling. However, it's supposed to make them happen less often, it says so in the description. And it's supposedly updated to A9. :o :o I've no idea if it's just my game, but clearly for me it made "incident trolling" one hell of a bigger deal than without it. I've had three crazed animals since i disabled the mod, all some time apart from each other and there was a siege and a crashed mech ship in between them as well, so...

Very sorry for the confusion.

RemingtonRyder

Ah. I think I know why.

You see, what the mod does is reduce the chance of some events and increase the time to refire for others. Thing is, the animal insanity event doesn't have a minimum time to refire. It does in vanilla, but not in the mod. My bad!

e: Aaaaand, fixed.