"High Expectations" how to deal with it!

Started by AntiMatter, April 05, 2015, 05:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntiMatter

OK so I took a whole two months off rim world and recently came back and decided to play a bit since I got bored of everything else but now I see there's this new Debuff which doesn't tell me how to damn well fix!

so yeah I have this colony that has this debuff and I don't know if it's to do with mods or if it's part of the vanilla game

if it's vanilla has anyone got a fix? what do I do to make my dummy colonists stop complaining??
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

JonoRig

Mikhail Reign

destroy anything that's worth money (i.e everything). its based off colony wealth

REMworlder

Colonists have a "low expectations" mood boost when your colony is poor. That mood boost disappears as your colony gets wealthier, and eventually becomes a high expectations when even more wealth is added.

The idea is that if your colony is wealthy, it should be a nice enough place to live that a -4 (high expectations) debuff doesn't hurt much. Just having tables, beds, or lighting available should offset the negative thoughts. Personally, I like to have lots of sculptures in my dining room for a big daily mood boost.

Anyways, this is changing in Alpha 10 to a buffs-only system.
QuoteRe the expectations buffs/debuffs, these will be changed in Alpha 10 to only use buffs for low expectations. Just because I know what it's like to OCD out and hate having permanent debuffs that can't be removed :)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11242.msg112123#msg112123

SSS

If they have high expectations, feed them fine meals daily. If they have very high expectations, feed them lavish meals daily. Make sure psychically sensitive colonists have tinfoil hats, prostophiles have bionics, and so on. Interior decorating (nice floors, clean floors, art) helps, as do high social colonists.

I tend to focus on the kitchen in addition to food; three grand wooden sculptures (masterwork or better) helps a lot, and having a silver table and stools should push them into the highest beauty buff if that isn't enough. You could also plant flowers and place flower pots around. It'll give your growers something else to do.

Tbh, I don't think this would be a problem if it merely raised the colonist mental break threshold rather than surfacing as a negative thought. Negative thoughts signal to me that I'm doing something wrong; it makes it seem like the game is punishing me for doing well. Having the colonists break easier without throwing it in my face constantly would make it a lot more palatable, imo. At that, you could still view the colonist's mental break threshold in pawn info to see how much the colony's wealth is offsetting it, if you want to know. (That would allow for a more gradual shift too, rather than a sudden arbitrary "rich" or "very rich" designation.)

BetaSpectre

The debuff is being removed. Next update.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

AntiMatter

Quote from: REMworlder on April 05, 2015, 10:14:10 AM
Anyways, this is changing in Alpha 10 to a buffs-only system.
QuoteRe the expectations buffs/debuffs, these will be changed in Alpha 10 to only use buffs for low expectations. Just because I know what it's like to OCD out and hate having permanent debuffs that can't be removed :)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11242.msg112123#msg112123

lol tyrian add things then removes them. oh well it is in alpha. great to hear thanks.
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

antibodee

The best way to deal with it is to counter it with statues, and spend your silver every chance you get.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: AntiMatter on April 06, 2015, 05:05:09 AM
lol tyrian add things then removes them. oh well it is in alpha. great to hear thanks.

It's not being removed technically. Global mood is going down by -8, and the buffs are all +8 now.

It basically means that you'll go Very Low Expectations -> Low Expectations -> No buff at all. The only change is you won't have a permanent -4/-8.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

praguepride

Because SEEING it is a lot worse then having it there...in secret  ::)

Turps

No matter how rich you are ye always want more. "Greed is healthy..."
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

TLHeart

Quote from: praguepride on April 06, 2015, 03:20:08 PM
Because SEEING it is a lot worse then having it there...in secret  ::)

As tynan said, having a negative modifier showing that you cannot get rid of  makes people think they are doing something wrong. That is why he is changing it.

people do need to realize though that the longer you stay, the higher the expectations will be, and therefore mood goes down... that will need to be told somewhere, or we will be getting post in alpha 10, why has my mood dropped?

Kegereneku

This is also a way to keep the game challenging on the long run.
Especially now that raid will be toned down.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !