New activities for Raiders

Started by screeching_goat, June 24, 2013, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC13

Quote from: starlight on October 17, 2013, 09:42:05 AMCould raiders raid oxygen on low-oxygen worlds?
Can we make low-oxygen the default. Considering that this is supposed to be an SF sim. Rather than a Dwarf Fortress look-alike.
Plenty of science-fiction takes place on worlds with sufficient oxygen. RimWorld used to have a hazardous atmosphere, but it was too difficult to play with under that stage of development. Maybe some time later, when we have more stuff.

One of the problems was it being too hard to recover from a breach. Bulkheads to seal off the affected area and environment suits to make repairs should do the trick, but we're not at that level of complexity yet. Even once we get there, I think I'd prefer that to be an option, not the only way to play.

mumblemumble

A few ideas I can think of are :
*Finding a colonist away from the main base, beating him up (but not killing him). Could also make them less suicidal, so if they get shot at with more than a couple guys, they run.
*Starting fires randomly while drunk (Would be funny if they were a bit more careless too, and more likely to burn themselves).
*Vandalizing places away from turret range, breaking doors, shooting up the side of a base, but otherwise avoiding full combat
*Trying to leech power off of the power grid for later use
*Small raider bands trying to interrupt mining operations / steal metal.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

starlight

Quote from: GC13 on October 17, 2013, 10:54:22 AM
Quote from: starlight on October 17, 2013, 09:42:05 AMCould raiders raid oxygen on low-oxygen worlds?
Can we make low-oxygen the default. Considering that this is supposed to be an SF sim. Rather than a Dwarf Fortress look-alike.
Plenty of science-fiction takes place on worlds with sufficient oxygen. RimWorld used to have a hazardous atmosphere, but it was too difficult to play with under that stage of development. Maybe some time later, when we have more stuff.

One of the problems was it being too hard to recover from a breach. Bulkheads to seal off the affected area and environment suits to make repairs should do the trick, but we're not at that level of complexity yet. Even once we get there, I think I'd prefer that to be an option, not the only way to play.

I understand that putting in too many factors into the game makes it too complex.

For example, to start off a colony, you need:
1. Food
2. Power
3. Colonists
4. Defense Mechanisms

To make it grow, you need:
1. Comfort (Beds, rooms, wealth, better food), etc
2. Infrastructure (Rooms, other structures, etc)
3. Better defense mechanisms
4. People dedicated to research

In this whole scenario, it is quite understandable that having a low-oxygen atmosphere may put too much pressure on the gamer.

I would however, like  to see:
1. Low-oxygen as an option (for hard-core gamers).
Plus it will provide an end-game of a different type. Similiar to how in Dwarf Fortress, you start with the easiest biome, and then you find those who have been around prefer a challenge like evil biomes, aquifiers, etc.
Basically, this could be part of the options when biomes are added.

2. To make it easier to survive, it could be low-oxygen, not no-oxygen.
You can still move around, do things, but at 50% penalty to movement, speed, etc.

3. I don't have an issue with high-oxygen worlds, lore-wise. If you look at Star Trek, they have all kinds of things on all worlds - some of which are not scientifically realistic.
It should be more from the point of view of interesting / playable.

Rabbit

Back to topic: Raids and Raiders!

I had an idea about a certain type of raid, in regard to the often mentionend "non-lethal-raids".

What if some Raider-groups are not announced by the narator and will be transparent, but not entirely invisible.
They could sneak up in transparant mode, until detected by a turret or colonist, or other detection devices implemented in future development.

This way, the player could be ambushed in his colony, but still giving the chances to spot those sneaky little bastards, before they get to close to the base.

Their target could be anything, from assassination, to theft of ressources or kidnapping.

This could lead to some very cool stories such as:
"This night some raiders where sneaking up to our base, trying to steal our metal supplies. Our Noble *cough* spotted one of them trying to break into our colony, but was tragically killed, when the other four decided to leave their cover..."

What do you think?

asibin2000

I think a great suggestion on varied raids AND varied Raiders...

1. Different types of raiders like:
A. aliens - like starship troopers or the movie aliens
B. zombies - come on you gotta burn those corpses!
C. Misc. Monsters
D. typical people type raiders - pirates etc

Each one having their own objectives, weaknesses, strengths, tactics.

Semmy

Quote from: asibin2000 on October 26, 2013, 04:55:40 PM
I think a great suggestion on varied raids AND varied Raiders...

1. Different types of raiders like:
A. aliens - like starship troopers or the movie aliens
B. zombies - come on you gotta burn those corpses!
C. Misc. Monsters
D. typical people type raiders - pirates etc

Each one having their own objectives, weaknesses, strengths, tactics.

aliens and zombies won't be in.
Zombies wont be in the original sense for sure.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Ford_Prefect

I think the big thing is that there needs to be a fog of war, so that you don't know from which direction they could be coming until they are in you line of view.  I can understand the characters seeing raiders coming down in orbital drop pods, but some raiders should come in from the map edges, without there being a warning message until they are spotted.

British

Quote from: Ford_Prefect on October 28, 2013, 10:59:33 AM
I think the big thing is that there needs to be a fog of war, so that you don't know from which direction they could be coming until they are in you line of view.
The fog of war is discussed here.

Pendryn

Just had a thought. What if there was a variant on Raiders that, rather then raiding in the typical fashion, perhaps a few raiders show up and set up a very simple base of there own. Nothing major, just a few sandbags of their own, maybe a turret that comes with a power source of its own, maybe some sort of solar-battery that keeps a small charge stored up, just enough for a gunfight, and of course a few raiders, not many, but perhaps two or three. Basically the point of this is to lock your colonists out of a section of the map, and giving some or your more martial colonists the action they seek.
Reticulating all the splines.

manictiger

Specops raiders would be pretty fun for later game challenge...

Phase 1: Breach
They split into teams of 3-6 (this would require multiple path-finding A.I.s).
Alpha (left side) and Charlie (right side) team grenade different points of your wall (to breach it), Bravo team stays in cover near the main entrance (or whatever A.I. path-finding calls it) and attacks your turrets (higher priority) or men.

Phase 2: Clear
Alpha and Charlie rush in to destroy all turrets (higher priority) or men while Bravo advances behind, providing fire support.
Bravo covers fire while Alpha and Charlie pull back after a certain amount of damage is sustained.
They advance, with the team that has sustained the most damage going to the rear of the column (in a Starcraft micro-management kind of way).
They retreat like normal raiders.

Obviously, the tactics, numbers, stats and weapon loadouts would be vastly altered depending on difficulty.
At normal difficulty, they'd relentlessly abuse high volume fire and grenades.

Galileus

I was thinking on the turret problem - there is a lot of "let the raiders deal with them somehow" but nothing goes into detail or propositions of implementation. And I think I just got an idea.

So, we start off with raiders landing. The game then tracks the colonists, while raiders prepare - if any of them stays away from the base (meaning closest man-made structure) and are outside, game teleports one of raiders onto a colonist position, as well as change his team to saboteur (and gives him THE KEY ;)) and increase the duration of raiders preparation time. If possible, the sprite should pop-up under the colonist's sprite, but that's a detail that can be left alone. If there are many colonists and raid is big enough, there may be two or three saboteurs. Saboteur team is set as neutral (friendly) with all - so neither colonists will spot him nor raiders start shooting at him.

Now, saboteurs start planting explosive charges (building less visible version of blasting charges) close to turrets, powerplants and beds. Amount of charges to be given all the saboteurs can be decided by counting buildings: 10% of powerplants (but no less than 1) + 50% (?) of turrets. To stop them player would need to spot them (knowing no-one of such a name is part of the colony) and order someone to attack them (or arrest them). That would make all saboteurs hostile, raiders would initiate raid and blasting charges go boom.

If the saboteurs are not caught, they walk back to the camp and initiate raid when they are home. Player may either let them go to have time to look for charges (invisible on pause? or just take time to deconstruct?) or shoot them and... boom!

I believe most of the necessary functions are already in game - except for maybe deciding where to put the charges. Saboteurs would have only priority in construction, changing factions is in there... am I missing something?

To add in the future:
Wardens/security have a chance to spot and stop saboteurs
Charges may be set to explode at night, even if its long way off
Bomb deactivation task for colonists and roll on research to decide if not a critical failure
Bombs are on timer if saboteurs are caught, otherwise go off when saboteurs reach the home camp
Saboteurs have detonator that can be picked up and used by any other raider
Chance roll if other saboteurs also go hostile while one is caught
Different kind of sabotages (biological, kamikaze runs)
Add different targets for charges (destroying walls in a way so that roof falls down?)
Saboteurs copy an existing colonists, while keeping some random letters added to their names (Cherry -> Cherryz, Jean-Luc -> Jean-Luce) or another way to make them harder to spot (pause and search would be an easy way to get rid of them)

Vilusia

What if raiders could set up bases and become a long term problem instead of an attack that just wipes you out? Like they could have a base and do occasional small attacks.

Check out Bone Mod! Updates almost daily.

Pendryn

It's been mentioned, but I still support it! :D
Reticulating all the splines.

todofwar

I think a large group of raiders setting up camp near you and doing quick hit and run type raids trying to tease you out of your fortress in late game would be cool.

Littlemule

Bounty hunters - they are well equipped with high end weapons  in one or two man teams they could be there to capture a specific colonist (say a noble - family hired bounty hunter to bring him/her back) or capture one of your assassin colinists to face his past employers, marine - say he was awol and the military hired the bounty hunter to return him for interrogation, scientist - kidnapped for valuable research he knows