Questions

Started by fifasnipe2224, October 07, 2013, 03:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fifasnipe2224

(1) What would you say is a estimated time difference in release between Colonist (public alpha) and Influencer (end of kick starter)?

(2) How playable will the game be for the early alpha that starts at the end of kick starter?

(3) Please tell me you are reconsidering the no z-level, 2d only map. Even if its only 6 or 8 levels of depth.... that would add a lot to the game.

(4) Do people have skills? Are some better at repair, weapon skills, farming ect. If so are they able to level these skills up? (like in FTL)

(5) Any current melee weapons? If not any plans on adding any?

Spike

You might want to check out the play videos of Quill18 and Christonian .

enystrom8734

Quote from: fifasnipe2224 on October 07, 2013, 03:36:30 PM
(1) What would you say is a estimated time difference in release between Colonist (public alpha) and Influencer (end of kick starter)?

(2) How playable will the game be for the early alpha that starts at the end of kick starter?

(3) Please tell me you are reconsidering the no z-level, 2d only map. Even if its only 6 or 8 levels of depth.... that would add a lot to the game.

(4) Do people have skills? Are some better at repair, weapon skills, farming ect. If so are they able to level these skills up? (like in FTL)

(5) Any current melee weapons? If not any plans on adding any?

I can answer a few

2. The game is very playable at this moment. It will be significantly more playable by the end of the kickstarter.

4. People do have skills yes, as of right now Im not sure how they affect their work, but if a skill is set to "0", then they can't do that job. (Ex. Nobles have almost no skills besides social and maybe science. They generally sit around eating your food and maybe taking care of prisoners)

5. No current melee weapons, I believe some additional weapons are planned.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

British

The way skills work is that they give a bonus on the time the action related to the skill takes to finish.
Every point of a skill gives a 10% speed bonus for the action.
So with 10 points, you use that skill 100% faster than someone with 0.
Having a skill at 0 doesn't mean it's disabled, but your colonist will be very slow when using it.

And actually, you can have skills that are positive, thanks to a bonus in childhood or adulthood, but can't be used because the other childhood/adulthood backstory disables it.
For instance, a colonist can be a Medieval Lord (Adulthood backstory), which disables just about every skill (Cleaning, Hauling, Plant cutting, Mining, Growing, Constructing) but gives very good fighting and social skills, and he can also be a Vatgrown Soldier (Childhood backstory), which kind of disable his social skill, even though he'll have +6.

Details on skills and backstories there: http://rimworld.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

The z-axis matter has been addressed.

Pheanox

Per Tynan, the public alfa will be out *around* December 2013 or January 2014 (He has both months listed in different places). The after kickstarter alfa would be November.  So potentially a month or two sooner.

whoops-wrong button - Ty

Tynan

Quote from: Pheanox on October 07, 2013, 05:42:12 PM
Per Tynan, the public alfa will be out *around* December 2013 or January 2014 (He has both months listed in different places). The after kickstarter alfa would be November.  So potentially a month or two sooner.

I fixed it, it should be January everywhere.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog