Weapon Misfires/Jams

Started by Headshot, April 05, 2015, 11:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headshot

Hello,

When I play Rimworld my pawns have a distinct affection for guns, actually, they usually get some target practice on those who don't understand how to point and shoot; anyways back on topic, I believe that Rimworld would have an awesome dynamic if weapons had a chance to malfunction when firing, possibly even having the Charge Rifle explode if the quality is poor enough.

Misfires are a huge issue in real life when a weapon isn't clean, and apart from implementing an intricate weapons cleaning system, simply modifying it based on quality would be a good substitute. Poor parts and material would most likely pass as the reason being.

What do you guys think?

Argon

Quote from: Headshot on April 05, 2015, 11:36:59 PM
Hello,

When I play Rimworld my pawns have a distinct affection for guns, actually, they usually get some target practice on those who don't understand how to point and shoot; anyways back on topic, I believe that Rimworld would have an awesome dynamic if weapons had a chance to malfunction when firing, possibly even having the Charge Rifle explode if the quality is poor enough.

Misfires are a huge issue in real life when a weapon isn't clean, and apart from implementing an intricate weapons cleaning system, simply modifying it based on quality would be a good substitute. Poor parts and material would most likely pass as the reason being.

What do you guys think?

Yes, the simplest to implement system (with the specified end goal) would be to have misfires scaled based on quality and remaining durability.

-Argon

SSS

Quote from: Headshot on April 05, 2015, 11:36:59 PM
Hello,

What do you guys think?

I think I'd sell all of the low-quality charge rifles. ;)

I like the idea, though I would prefer misfires to be tied to weapon health. Quality can just affect accuracy, as it currently does.

Mckee

How about having quality set a threshold at which point health becomes a factor - an awful quality weapon with 80% durability will start jamming, whilst a good quality weapon has to get down to 50% before it'll start jamming - the further past the threshold, the more likely a jam/misfire is. Alternatively, the lower the quality, the longer it takes to clear a jam and start shooting again.

It seems odd to totally ignore quality, but a well maintained and poorly built rifle shouldn't jam either.

BetaSpectre

Support; Quality should matter.
But I think we should have two weapons so that you can have a backup.

Might make someone rethink using a near broken rocket laucher.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Cryorus

Quote from: Mckee on April 06, 2015, 05:12:18 AM
How about having quality set a threshold at which point health becomes a factor - an awful quality weapon with 80% durability will start jamming, whilst a good quality weapon has to get down to 50% before it'll start jamming - the further past the threshold, the more likely a jam/misfire is. Alternatively, the lower the quality, the longer it takes to clear a jam and start shooting again.

It seems odd to totally ignore quality, but a well maintained and poorly built rifle shouldn't jam either.

Realy liking that approach on the jamming. I think the quality of a weapon should influence the weapon more than the durability. What about misfuntion ? Like a malfunctioning Charge rifle ripping the wearers hand off because its too damaged/poorly assambled and its energy core goes boom ?

Monkfish

+1 for random misfires and rare potentially fatal catastrophic failures.
<insert witty signature here>

SSS

Quote from: Mckee on April 06, 2015, 05:12:18 AM

When you put it that way, having quality affect jamming/misfires does sound like a good idea.

Point conceded. :)

Headshot

Quote from: Monkfish on April 06, 2015, 01:01:32 PM
+1 for random misfires and rare potentially fatal catastrophic failures.

I secretly want a misfire system so I can make my plasma weapons explode randomly, but don't tell Tynan  :-[

But other than that, I think misfires would add a level of detail and restrain for firearms and their use.

The Idea on having quality affect the percentage before weapons start having issues is quite good, and I think the best  :P

Alas, it's up to our overlord Tynan to make the decision lol.

Cryorus

Quote from: Headshot on April 06, 2015, 03:17:07 PM
I secretly want a misfire system so I can make my plasma weapons explode randomly, but don't tell Tynan  :-[

Thats what i want too ;) Imagine a raid and suddenly one or a raiders gun goes boom XD Thats what i call battle ^^

JimmyAgnt007

I dont like random failures like that.  Granted not as big a deal as they would be in other games but there is a lot of room for error of the not fun variety.  I would just like to limit it from happening too often.  Gun cleaning can be a fun thing for a gun nut but shouldnt be necessary for everyone.  Too much micromanaging.

Kegereneku

I don't like it either, reducing accuracy or missing one shot over a volley would be less frustrating.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

skullywag

I thought weapon jams would add suspense to firefights which is why im implementing it in a new mod. The mod pushes the vanilla weapons into a sub category of weapons that do terrible damage (so terrible melee is a valid option) as these weapons are relics and firearms have surpassed them in terms of tech. It also adds 3 new tiers of weapons, improved ballistics, lasers and plasma (sound familiar?) But the point here is the misfire/jam, mines currently tied to the quality but reading the above im debating moving it to health....hmmm decisions...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Darth Fool

It seems to me that tying it to both makes sense.  Like chance to jam = %damage - quality factor.  where quality factor might be 50% for legendary and 10% for poor.  This would give you 0% chance of jamming on a legendary weapon until it fell below 50% maintenance.  On the other hand, I would not want to see this until there was a way to have pawns automagically repair their weapons.

b0rsuk

Only if those jams and misfires REPLACE some of the misses. I'd hate to have ranged combat that feels even more like a roguelike bow shooting. Shooting is unreliable as it is.