[Example] Using a DLL to unlock researchable recipes all defined in XML

Started by 1000101, April 06, 2015, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After many hours examining code, trying to learn how RimWorld does what and what others have done to do things, I figured out my problem.  The method Saularain proposed below to remove and then re-add recipes from tables is the way to allow recipes to be unfinished.

I present my humble efforts at some sort of basic tutorial for those trying the same thing.  Not everyone will find this useful, but here you go to those that do.

Functional info:
AdvancedRecipeDefs define what recipes are linked with what research projects.  When a new colony is started, the MapComponent (DLL) loads all the AdvancedRecipeDefs, creates a list of the research to monitor for completion and then sits idle, periodically checking for research completion and unlocking recipes (re-adding the tables to the recipeDef) as they become available.

Notes:
In the XML for your recipes and tables, link the recipes to the tables and not the other way around.  That is, use <recipeUsers> in the recipeDef, not <recipes> in the building ThingDef.  The MapComponent is working on the recipe and not the table, the table itself is untouched except to have it's recipe cache flag cleared.

Quote from: OPThis is related to this post --> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11993.0

I have been trying to add recipies which may be unfinished dynamically to a table after research via DLL.  Everything works in that regard.  What does not, is that if a recipe can be unfinished (has an unfinishedThingDef), the job won't continue and exceptions are thrown.  Recipes without the tag work exactly as they should, it's only the unfinished ones.

Is there another table/list which needs to be updated for unfinished recipes to complete?  If so, then I would guess this is automagic in the xml loading and thus far hasn't become an issue.

Attached is a bare bones example of what's happening.

Tested against Core only on a new world and a new colony.

[attachment deleted due to age]
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Saularian

Problem could probably be due to wrong encoding of the advancedrecipedef... (it's not UTF8 but UTF8 w/o BOM) as this usually screwed up my own mods, but that doesn't seem to be the case here after I altered the defs...

It looks as if the unfinished object isn't "defined" as it can't be touched after someone started on it, but yet it can be canceled.

Although I'm curious as to why you want to inject a recipe via dll as it can be done in the defs, (research pre-requisition).

Havent looked at how another mod does it though, but maybe you should look at the gun crafting mod. Don't know if it has it's recipes injected by dll, but if it does, your solution could be in there.

As to the XML - I didn't even notice the byte-encoding was wrong (notepad++ defaults).  I did notice that I had to change the encoding to load RimWorld xml's into some specialized code of my own (xml library I use only supports utf-8) and I had to convert.  But if the encoding was at fault then the game engine would fail long before it does.

It uses DLL injection because recipes can't be unlocked and added to tables using XML (and lots of mods use this technique, M&Co, MD2, Clutter, etc).  In fact, I "borrowed" MD2's research injection method due to the nice way it uses xml defs to link everything (AdvancedRecipeDefs is the same as MD2's ResearchRecipeDefs used for it's Droid Assembly table).

I don't want to just add new tables since that just adds to the clutter of the UI and it's a logically broken method anyway - I don't need a new stove because I now know how to make lasagna.

What I need is a recipe which can yield an unfinished step to actually complete on injection.  Failing that I would have to break the recipe down into discrete steps instead of the generalized recipes.  eg, produce gun barrels, rifled barrels, rifle stocks, pistol grips, etc, *then* turn a rifle barrel + rifle stock + iron sights + short time = survival rifle or rifle barrel + rifle stock + scope + longer time = sniper rifle.

But that means more things to just lie around your base with limited use.  While I like the idea of discrete steps, it's the item creep I worry about.

If I have to, I have to, but...
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Saularian

Yeah it took me a while before I got tired of the notepad++ default and changed those

but i havent looked at MD2's source, but did have a look at Ykara's craftable guns source, which in my opinion does a good job on the recipe injection part, and even for me easy to read and understand.namespace CraftableGuns
{
    public class UnlockResearch : MapComponent
    {
        public UnlockResearch()
        {
            LockAllRecipes();
        }

private static void LockAllRecipes()
        {
            LockRecipe("CreateGun_PDW");
            LockRecipe("CreateGun_HeavySMG");
            LockRecipe("CreateGun_LMG");
            LockRecipe("CreateGun_AssaultRifle");
            LockRecipe("CreateGun_SniperRifle");
        }

private static void LockRecipe(string defName)
        {
            var recipeDef = DefDatabase<RecipeDef>.GetNamed(defName);
            recipeDef.recipeUsers = new List<ThingDef>();
        }

private static void UnlockRecipe(string tableDefName, string defName)
        {
            var tableDef = DefDatabase<ThingDef>.GetNamed(tableDefName);

var recipeDef = DefDatabase<RecipeDef>.GetNamed(defName);
            recipeDef.recipeUsers = new List<ThingDef> {tableDef};

// Clear cache to update existing objects
            typeof (ThingDef).GetField("allRecipesCached", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance)
                .SetValue(tableDef, null);
        }

public static void Weapons1()
        {
            UnlockRecipe("TableSmithing", "CreateGun_PDW");
            UnlockRecipe("TableSmithing", "CreateGun_HeavySMG");
            UnlockRecipe("TableSmithing", "CreateGun_LMG");
        }

public static void Weapons2()
        {
            UnlockRecipe("TableSmithing", "CreateGun_AssaultRifle");
            UnlockRecipe("TableSmithing", "CreateGun_SniperRifle");
        }

}
    }

Allthough I havent used that mod in a while now so I'm not sure if this one gave me any exceptions...

hrm, that may be the solution then and probably why he did it that way.  Do the process in reverse.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Edit:  It worked, OP updated to reflect that this is now closed and I provide an example for those who are trying the same/similar thing.