Frequent Suggestions Topic!

Started by JimmyAgnt007, April 07, 2015, 08:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirid

Animal husbandry/breeding gets brought up often enough.
Extra playable races/aliens/trans-animals/robots/droids.
Water being utilized as a resources or for fishing.

Quote from: Johnny Masters on April 07, 2015, 02:05:18 PM
I've been wanting to do a "grand suggestion list" post for quite some time now (alas, time is short), were we could list both the commonly suggested as well as new ones.  ... also an easy place for Tynan to look at we have been suggesting and a place to have his comments on each subject
This itself has been suggested several times. I don't want to speak for him, but I think Tynan was generally against the idea. I don't think he would want to go through and make a statement about every suggestion, either making promises to add something or let people down saying something will never be added. There were several reasons against the list, being difficult if not impossible to finish or maintain for instance. It would be impossible to include every suggestion. Many people's ideas would get lumped together and would overlook the details of their specific suggestion.
Ex: Fishing might be the general suggestion, that might just mean fishing along the shore, a generally accepted suggestion is for it to take place with a dock, a further suggestion to use a pole, a further suggestion to include dynamite fishing, a further suggestion to include fishing boats. Where does it end and whose ideas do you choose aren't worth including? Or do you just lump it all into 'fishing' and let Tynan decide how to implement it? Then we're at a point where suggestions become somewhat useless, or back to square one with people are creating new threads for their specific take on how it should work.
Not saying I'm against the idea, I wish there was a way to effectively clean up the suggestion forum.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Joshuasca

I have also read alot of posts about 2 weapon slots / sidearms / switching weapons as well.  I think it has been suggested enough times to land a place here

JimmyAgnt007

I have backpacks and extra weapon slots listed.  Should I separate them?

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on April 09, 2015, 08:59:27 AM
I have backpacks and extra weapon slots listed.  Should I separate them?

probably. they are separate topics.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

TDATL

How about damage thresholds or equivalent? I've seen it suggested a couple times. I was searching to see if someone else suggested it before I posted about it and saw several threads.

JimmyAgnt007

hmmm... not sure ive noticed those before.  at least not with regular frequency.  its also something that can be defined as a balance issue that Tynan changes a lot so it might not be time to list that.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Kirid on April 08, 2015, 11:13:55 PM
(post)

Oh, i never meant to imply it was an original idea, but one could be fooled by the fact that we didn't have a stickied one up so far.
(although i did find the last one was unstickied by Tynan https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3809.0)

I understand where you are coming from, but the fact that it could be bad for Tynan (at least feel-wise) to drop statements here, doesn't mean it would be bad for the community/game. The fact remains that he *does* make statements here and there, and the point would be to make it readily available for anyone interested, instead of having it lost over the pages until someone necro it. It doesn't matter if he doesn't want to drop a comment in here, but if he does it somewhere else i find it important that it's made readily available.

Your concern is also true, but I don't think the purpose of the topic is to stop people from discussing on listed features, the point is to provide a place to move the discussion further instead of walking in circles. If someone wants to start the #49th topic on breeding then its cool, but starting the 49th topic on breeding that looks exactly the same as 40 of them then it gets annoying.

I believe that if that newcomer, with the usual fervor, sees a stickied common suggestion lists and sees his suggestion there, he might at least try and put some effort in his post (or don't post at all), or go towards a direction which was never explored or improve on a part of his thought that is novel. bad case scenario he just does as usual.

The problem on keeping the list is true, hence ideally we'd have a very active and wiling member (and helpers) or have a joint account.

question: is there a spoiler button? I wish we could spoiler non-essential/side comments to keep it from cluttering

--
Some more:

Tools - Having tools needed for jobs or for improving  job efficiency

Raider behavior improvement - Avoids pillboxes, destroy walls, have specific objectives, etc.

Ammo for weapons

More power generation - Coal, radioactive, lighting, biomass, etc.

Extra traits - People always want extra traits, i've seen about 3-4 topics specific about this and a dozen traits in bundled suggestions

Extra events - Same as above

Extra zones - For fire fight, for visitors, for cleaning, for forbiding, etc. That's an all time favorite.

Bridges

Auto-equipping - Weapons, tools, apparel

Alarm bell / codes - To trigger a set of behavior (stay inside home zone, only do X or Y, equip weapons/armor, etc)

Rally points / Safe houses / Recall - Usually tied with above.

Better damage resolution

Multiplayer - self-explanatory

Tactical combat - Tactical options from tactical games, such as prone, crawl, suppression, and automatic behaviors: aggressive, cautious,
defensive.

Turrets overhaul - Extra turrets, turrets limitations (ammo, number, resources, AI cores, etc), mountable turrets, turrets made with
available weapons, etc.

Movable furniture - To keep you from needing to destroy it

Colonist-specific stations - i.e, assigning specific pawns to a station, possibly with a timetable, to better manage which pawns does what and where. Could be fixed by the new timetables update?

Personal Hygiene - Usually tied with water system

-
I'll try and provide links later. I've made the above before finding the last suggestions thread, but it's worth taking a look at it.

Kirid

Quote from: Johnny Masters on April 11, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
I believe that if that newcomer, with the usual fervor, sees a stickied common suggestion lists and sees his suggestion there, he might at least try and put some effort in his post (or don't post at all)
Agreed, this is reason enough.
Quote from: Johnny Masters on April 11, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
question: is there a spoiler button? I wish we could spoiler non-essential/side comments to keep it from cluttering
I've been trying forever >_< Nothing seems to work.
This forum is built using simplemachines, features are added via mods, and that doesn't seem to be included.
Lets petition Tynan to install it!
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Jstank

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Johnny Masters

There were even others before, in bundled suggestions or thrown in random comments. But i think we should focus on the ideas that have their own threads.

Argon

Quote from: Johnny Masters on April 12, 2015, 12:51:53 AM
There were even others before, in bundled suggestions or thrown in random comments. But i think we should focus on the ideas that have their own threads.

Agreed, for a suggestion to be listed it should require a topic or more on it's subject.

-Argon

JimmyAgnt007

Links to threads are very welcome.  Also specific quotes from Tynan on subjects.  So if he says "I will not include 'this' in Rimworld" then I want the link.

I dont really want to list everything suggested, just the ones we are sick of being repeated.

akiceabear

Steam integration (is one I'm sick of hearing about). Can't insert a link from mobile, but there are many threads, including one active one.

JimmyAgnt007

that was one of the first i posted along with Tynans post

akiceabear

Sorry, I see it now! for skimmers (like me) you may want to start with the subject as in the other topics in the list - I.e. "steam integration/support" rather than "adding to steam"