(WIP) More Spaceship Stuff

Started by eberkain, April 07, 2015, 11:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eberkain

The general concept with this mod is to bring a little bit of Star Trek into RimWorld.  I have alot of ideas about what I want to do with this mod before I release it, but the first order of business is to create all the new parts that are needed to make a functional spaceship.  Here is a list of all the new stuff I want to create, and where I'm at right now on it.

New Items

Antimatter Pod (art done)
Star Chart Data (art done)
Space Helmet / Suit
Ballistic MagazineInterstellar Missile

Starship Parts

Structural Beams (implemented)
Illuminated Structural Beams (art done)
Gravity Plating (implemented)
Control Conduit (in-game)
Shield Power Conduit (in-game)
Tactical Engines (art done)
FTL Core (art done)
Antimatter Containment (art done)
Power Core (art done)
Main Computer (art done)
Control Console (in-game)
Data Interface (art done)
Airlock (done)
Main DeflectorArmor Plating (art done)

Engineering Console (in-game)
Tactical Console (in-game)
Science Console (in-game)
Command Console (in-game)
Energy CannonBallistic CannonMissile Launcher
Long Range Sensor (art done)
Short Range Scanner (art done)
Shield Generator (art done)
Shield Emitter (art done)
Transporter SystemShuttle Bay
Repair Drone BayEscape PodsShielded Battery

New Colony Structures

Antimatter GeneratorAstrometric Laboratory

Here is a quick sample showing what I'm going for, using alot parts of Superior Crafting as filler for the items on my list to make.

caboose410

looks great. You should make it a crashed ship start, kind of like the crashed landing mod but with a whole ship instead of parts

Seeker89

Quote from: caboose410 on April 08, 2015, 01:29:32 PM
looks great. You should make it a crashed ship start, kind of like the crashed landing mod but with a whole ship instead of parts

I second this

eberkain

Found some star trek consoles and converted them to work in the game.   

And made these data interface - star charts - antimatter containment 

Is my wall texture too green?

Berengar

Noo! Your walltexture is just perfekt.. have that classic, 90 gamefeeling.. love that. :D
But you could make more.

ZioN

"My colonists are always edgy.
Don't ever run a colony like me, I tend to play recklessly."
- CodyRex123

---

"I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context."
- StorymasterQ

eberkain

Quote from: Berengar on April 09, 2015, 07:26:03 AM
Noo! Your walltexture is just perfekt.. have that classic, 90 gamefeeling.. love that. :D
But you could make more.

I thinking of making a variation with light panels in it.

eberkain

My plans include two new types of conduits, a control conduit that has to interconnect all the ships systems, and a high powered electrical conduit just for shield systems.  And I wanted that to work with the power lines, air ducts and pal conduit.  So I took a stab at creating a new set of atlas textures for each of these, here is what it looks like all combined.  I kept the PAL conduit theme, and just made it thinner, and the yellow line is the new power conduit, the blue pulse thing is my control conduit, and the red and yellow is the shield power conduit, air duct is unchanged.  I scaled this pic up 2x for the forum post.

I also made a couple more sprites, for the Main Computer, Antimatter Pod and Power Core.

My most recent colony starved to death after both the hunter and cook died in a freak electrical conduit explosion, so maybe tonight I will sit down and get some more coding done.

ZioN

I know what you mean... my hunter got 1 shot from a pistol, and my colony almost starved.. This was at the start of the game, and the prisoners I was getting kept starving to death because my hunter was also my warden...
"My colonists are always edgy.
Don't ever run a colony like me, I tend to play recklessly."
- CodyRex123

---

"I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context."
- StorymasterQ

eberkain

I really wanted to get something accomplished this weekend and explore getting a .DLL setup, but I barely got to sit down in front of my computer.  Did a couple more sprites, but that is about all.  I did look over the xml for how the conduits are implemented and have been thinking about doing it differently, I would prefer to not alter assets of other mods or core if its not necessary.

long range sensor - FTL Core - Airlock Door

Cryorus

These sprites look awesome ! No more ugly stick spaceships  :'(

+1

eberkain

I reworked my conduit idea.

Shield Power Conduit is used to connect the various parts of a high power shield grid, based on the PAL art, does transmit power and cannot be built in the same spot as a PAL.

Control conduit does not transmit power, and must be used to network all the computers to all the other parts on the ship.  (still not sure about the colors on this one)

I also added lights to my wall atlas, and will put it in so you can build it either way.

skellitor301

will these parts work in a colony, like a building or set of rooms, or will this just be for the ship

Evul

I like the idea of this! :D
keep up the awesome work!

eberkain

At the end of the day the ship building is going to essentially be the same as building the colony, with some new parts and mechanics with how the different pieces interact.  You will probably want to build alot of the things that are in your colony on your ship, like beds, tables, food source, etc...   The emphasis is going to be on making everything as compressed as possible, but fully functional so it will support the crew members without relying on things outside the ship, to that end I am going to make a new power source just for the ship that is small but uses fuel, and give you a way to generate that fuel.

Thanks Evul!  I loving hearing the support, It's been a while since I tried to do any modding, or programming for that matter.   I've actually enjoyed doing the texture work alot.

I am really excited to get to sit down and do some work on this, my days are kind of crazy though, I work full time and my wife and I run a home business, video game retail, and my youngest son is about 2 and a half.  So I don't get alot of free time.   First chance I get I'm going to setup a framework so I can make a .DLL, then I can fool with the coding some while I'm at work.

EDIT: Updated the OP