[TOOL A8-15] RimSearch (Updated 11.07.2016) - The Research Tree Graph Generator

Started by 1000101, April 08, 2015, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Currently compatible with RimWorld Alpha 8 through Alpha 15 (A8-A15).

RimSearch is a tool for creating a nice neat png of your research tree based on your current set of mods.

This tool looks at your active mod list and generates a research tree graph.  Once the tree is generated, you have the option to move nodes around within their own level, the level is determined by the research prerequisites.  After you are satisfied with the changes, press [enter] to export to a png (RimSearch.png) or [escape] to exit without exporting.  Currently does not save node placement changes except as the finalized bitmap.

There are two small windows which will give you information while editing the tree.  One is the control window which simply lets you know the editors controls and the other is the info window which will tell you about a selected research tech.  This window also includes a list of the files which define the research and you can load the xml directly by clicking on the file in the info window.

Place RimSearch in the same directory as your RimWorld application directory (where RimWorld[Version][Platform][.exe] is located) and launch it from there.

changelog
Updated 11.07.2016

Adds support for A14.  ("totalCost" is now "baseCost")
Backwards compatible with older versions (looks for "totalCost" (A8-13) then "baseCost" (A14) if it's not found).

Updated 20.04.2016

The program will now check for abstract parents within a single file, no bad-xml cross-file-cross-references for abstract parents.  Would need to completely re-write the tool for this to happen.  Tested against RimWorld Alpha 13 (build 1135).

Updated 14.08.2015

Adds child high-lighting to show where a tech will lead to.  Helpful for users when deciding what branch of a complex tree they want to research next.
Added full source and project file of RimSearch.  This will probably be the last update of this version of the program.

Updated 28.07.2015

Fix so xml files will open properly.  I derped in some of my code changes.

Updated 28.07.2015

Added support for full directory structure transversal. (/MyMod/Defs/ResearchDefs/Some/Weird/Path/ToMy/File.xml)
Info window now truncates the displayed xml file path so the window doesn't become huge. (MyMod...File.xml)
Fixed small bug with selected/highlighted research being exported with the selection highlights.
Directly exports a png instead of a bmp.
Control window will move itself to a different corner of the screen if the mouse gets too close.
No longer opens a console window and by default does not log.  Logging can be enabled by the /lF[:Filename] command-line switch.

Updated 09.06.2015

Changed colour scheme (still hard-coded), improved UI (highlights tech tree on selected/hovered tech).

F5 reloading of all xml!

New Info Window!  Tells you:
Cost of research
Total Research to Tech (cost of all parent research plus itself)
xml files which define the research, click on a file to load it in your xml editor!

Updated 09.06.2015

Bug-fix for research with no prerequities tag.  Code was correct, compiler generated bugged output.

Updated 08.06.2015

Program now properly prunes extraneous branches which could be shared between techs with the same children.

Updated sample pic to show a heavily modified research tree.

Updated 08.05.2015

Added UI which allows final editing of bitmap before exporting or discarding changes.

Updated 14.04.2015

Now loads BOM encoded files properly!  No need to convert, should work out of the box.

Place RimSearch.exe in your RimWorld directory.
Execute it.
It will dump a log to the console and RimSearch.log.
When it says "Done", press any key to close the window.
It will now write RimSearch.bmp.

Outputs RimSearch.log and RimSearch.bmp

Updated 10.04.2015

Provides a much cleaner output.  See attached.  Sorry still about UTF-8 w/o BOM, I'll port the sources now that I have the "dirty" logic done.

[attachment undeleted due to age not being too old as I had uploaded replacements but the SQL query is too limited to get access modifiers]

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

Quote from: mrofa on April 12, 2015, 05:40:25 AM
Nice idea, but it hangs on core research

QuoteCrappy xml library I used (this was done quick'n'dirty in *cough*).

If your XML file is encoded differently, it will let you know by crashing.

Yeah, you need to convert your xml encoding from UTF8 to UTF8 without BOM.  I plan on re-writing this in a better language which will obviate this need.  I coded it in freeBASIC using the ext library and freeBASIC has limited support for UTF (read: virtually non-existant).

Now that I have the logic complete I plan on re-coding it in C# (both to make it so it can read the xml and to improve my C# skills).

Anyway, if you take the 30 seconds to convert the encoding (RimWorld doesn't care/need about BOM in the mod xml files), it's actually a powerful tool for validating your mods research tree.  After convering EPOE I noticed it had redundant research links (if C needs B and B need A, C doesn't explicitly need A), see the bottom of the first posts RimSearch.png (simple prosthetics).

Now that I have the bridges properly joining I will hopefully get this converted "soon" but there are some major language differences.

Lastest update (bridges join properly) and sample output from mod I am working on (which completely redefines the tech-tree):

[attachment deleted due to age]
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.