[TOOL A8-15] RimSearch (Updated 11.07.2016) - The Research Tree Graph Generator

Started by 1000101, April 08, 2015, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpo99999

sorry to upset you, BUT I just downloaded and tested (on the SAME modstack) and it is STILL crashing in Apothecarius, are there ANY possible dependencies that could be causing the issue??

Ok, so after searching around, running RimSearch in a debugger, etc, etc...it's a combination of two things, Apothecarius' terrible xml and the xml library choking on said terrible xml.

Apothecarius' "research.xml" has a space on line 16 between "<prerequisites>" and "<li>" and that is causing the crash, even though it shouldn't.

Unfortunately I can't fix that as it's in the xml parser.  Just remove that space and it seems to work.  The reason it didn't happen to me yesterday is that after loading the xml to take a look at it, I prettied up the xml so it was readable and had actually removed that.

So, Apothecarius is crashing for two reasons:
1) No <prerequisites> in Soylent Green, my bad code now fixed, and;
2) A space between two xml tags on the same line, not my bad code, but still bad code and nothing I can do to fix that one.

I had a look for what is "correct" xml syntax but my search was inconclusive on whitespace between tags on the same line.  From what I can tell, it should be allowed and therefore the library I am using has bad code.

So, make sure the xml is formatted correctly (which I'm not 100% sure Apothecarius is properly formatted) or at very least isn't too wanked (and Apothecarius' xml formatting is definitely wanked).

Edit:

No worries about "upsetting" me.  :)  In the software world, "bugs happen" :)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

harpo99999

as a fellow pogrammer(and have been programming since 1979), I do have an idea exactly how frustrating subtle bugs are to find and fix espeically in a unpaid urgent situation, which is why I used the defusing emotition statement,
and thank you for identifying the actual cause of the problem

Uglyr

WOW!!! That's supergreat thing!

And I know how to make it uber-supergreat (if you ever have time for this) - show somehow buildings that are unlocked with each research. Either on big picture or in info box for selected tech.  ::)

That's been on my todo list for a while now, as well as Community Core Library Advanced Research in regards to showing buildings and recipes unlocked.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Updated today.

Minor bug fixes, small improvements, optimizations, png exporting instead of bmp.

Edit:

Fixed a small bug where it wouldn't load the xml files in an external editor.  Sorry to anyone who downloaded it already.