Mushroom Base

Started by Teague, April 10, 2015, 05:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teague

Greetings,
Made the base as a response to people saying that making a base without being able to plant tree's. They had arguments like the starting amount of tree's isn't enough to survive, or that sustaining a base without it would be hard. So I intentionally chose a map with very little map area revealed (less trees) and a biome which is quite tree starved. Never planted tree's, and obviously didn't use a fertilizer pump.

I noticed that my outdoor base area that the land that I had to work with vaguely looked like a mushroom. So I decided to work with it and it turned out awesome looking. As the screenshot works a lot of the lights in the mushroom area up top are turned off because the sun lamps overpower the red lamps.

The base is fully functional - I kinda wish I didn't need the power from the 3rd box of 6 turbine 9 solar because it really impedes on the picture.

I included a zipped save for those really wanting to play around with it or get the best look. I did initially use EDB prepare carefully, and EDB interface. However those mods shouldn't impede your ability to run the map without the mods.
The Mushroom base

The Defense Killbox

you can click the images for larger ones

End notes
  • The game wierds a bit having such a large hidden area - sometimes when a raid triggers out there it is really laggy for a few moments and can cause you to essentially avoid dealing with that raid. I also never got alien ship crash down.
  • I think this is well past how many years are expected in the game, and leaving that much junk outside my base might make it laggy for people with weak cpu's.
  • I have 3 separate power sections intentionally so that I can have 18 batteries but the short out event will only kill 6 batteries. I don't want the explosion to be too big.
  • The lower right prison looking area, isn't actually a prison. Its a oh crap area for if the enemy drops in the middle of my base with centipedes and such. It isn't suppose to happen to roofed area's - but it does still happen somehow.

[attachment deleted due to age]

mrofa

Looks amazing, good work there :D
All i do is clutter all around.

antibodee

How are those windmills pumping out energy in an enclosed room surrounded by solar panels?

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: antibodee on April 10, 2015, 04:44:23 PM
How are those windmills pumping out energy in an enclosed room surrounded by solar panels?

a no roof zone and solar panels aren't high enough to obstruct windmills.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

TLHeart

No roofs, and all the windmills are just far enough from the walls for the walls to not interfere... and you can put solar panels under your turbines, saves space, and prevents trees from growing.

Teague

Quote from: mrofa on April 10, 2015, 02:55:57 PM
Looks amazing, good work there :D
Thanks, I can only imagine what someone with you investment in the game is up too

Yeah, I am not certain I have the most efficient setup for power - I think if you have more space you can combine these and squeeze in more solars without sacrificing windmills. Although the more dense you build the solars the more affected you are by lightning strikes which basically burn alot of things - and when you roof the map the only space the lightning can hit is your power :(

I would also recommend building a bunch of graves instead of stockpiling rocks - its alot cheaper time / resource wise. Still prevents people from building siege stuff. Wait, Can graves burn? <--- very important

Listy

Quote from: Teague on April 10, 2015, 09:23:40 PM
Wait, Can graves burn? <--- very important
The contents burn, but the Grave remains (at least it used to be like that). I was contemplating a field of Graves in the killbox, so that each attack is greeted with fire which clears out the graves for the new corpses. Sort of cremation+ defence rolled into one. After the attack the colonists then just roll the new graves into the empty ones.

skottie

the solarpanel + windmill thingy helps me alot. thanks.

Goo Poni

Quote from: Teague on April 10, 2015, 09:23:40 PM
Wait, Can graves burn? <--- very important

Graves cannot burn, but the corpses inside them can, which clears them out. Toss a molotov on a mass grave field and let the fire do it's thing to clear the graves. Something amusing, corpses can immediately fill graves, so raiders will do you the courtesy of burying themselves every couple blocks when they die. If you seal a room, then you can weaponize graves by tossing fire on them and then getting the fuck outta there, let that temperature creep up above and beyond heatstroke temperatures. This is rather exploitable at the moment because roofs can be constructed and deconstructed immediately by the player, so as long as you have coolers capable of keeping the temperature down as the heat leaks through doors, when the raid is over, you uncork the roof and pop, 800C goes down to 30C just like that. With such high temperatures, the whole room is also liable to become an impromptu crematorium, clearing the bodies as well, assuming you don't want any loot.

Teague

Cool - although I do like getting the loots so I don't know if I am down for the killroom strats.

I am tottally down for using forbidden graves for the spacers in the power section - takes less time to build graves then to haul things one by one.

Seeker89

that is so cool.
i want that map though, like the seed and where it is.
Seeker

RickyMartini

Do you have the seed and coordinates for a map like that?

Teague

Unfortunately not, I am now saving that info too for future - didn't realize people would be interested.

Jan2607

Yes, a base without planting trees is possible.
But I want to build a beautiful base. And for me, stone walls are very, very ugly. Only my outer walls are made of granite (because of its higher hitpoints). Indoor walls and furniture are made of wood. That's why I need a LOT of wood.
Yes, I can do without - but i think, everybody should be able to decide, how and with what material he can build his base.
And for me that's a point in A10, that I won't like.
RimWorld is not only about survival, it's about creativity, too.

And yes, it's really interesting what you did there :)