Endgame

Started by abelsavard, November 08, 2013, 12:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelsavard

So in the original Kickstarter post it was stated that the colonist of Rimworld might have the option to build a starship as the finale of the game.  This got me thinking that there might be other alternative game endings as opposed to a. escaping the planet or b. everyone dies.  I think a great endgame approach would be to create a new colony that is to upgrade the current collection of survivors to a permament settlement on this moon.  A plausible method would be to require the player to reach a certain population or technological level or possibly to upgrade the settlement from its ramshackle shacks to a well built town.  Another option is for the people to form a charter or constitution (presumably high social ones) to establish the town.  The town decision might be exclusive say you could decide to go the town route or the spaceship route but both or at least not at the same time (after all if you town fails or encounters severe difficulties leaving in a spaceship may become an attractive option).  The town route could also open certain technologies/social policies normally closed off (like some sort government or trade route options

Cyclops

Borg Assimilation. Leave the colony in a Cube.

Neonispyro

I like this idea. Maybe after a certain point, the game zooms out a bit and you're given a larger picture of what's going on, kind of like spore. You go from the current game of managing individual people, to maybe a kind of sim-city kind of game where you micromanage less things such as mining individual blocks and furnishing rooms, and focus on bigger things like building said rooms and exploring an expanded map.

maxthebeast11

Laser Penetration. Leave the colony smoldering from orbital bombardment.

chaotix14

Quote from: Neonispyro on November 08, 2013, 01:22:12 PM
I like this idea. Maybe after a certain point, the game zooms out a bit and you're given a larger picture of what's going on, kind of like spore. You go from the current game of managing individual people, to maybe a kind of sim-city kind of game where you micromanage less things such as mining individual blocks and furnishing rooms, and focus on bigger things like building said rooms and exploring an expanded map.

Yeah, let's not do that. While I like playing games like sim city and anno, I came to rimworld to get the dwarf fortress(well actually for me it's more towns, but that game was heavily inspired by dwarf fortress) experience of building up something wherin every single person counts, quality not quantity. Lot's of micro less marco.

Shaft

Quote from: maxthebeast11 on November 08, 2013, 01:22:56 PM
Laser Penetration. Leave the colony smoldering from orbital bombardment.

Nuke it from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure.

todofwar

I like the idea of the endgame being a permanent city. Perhaps after a certain level of development you can issue a call for immigrants, which also brings more sophisticated raiders in addition to more colonists. There might never be an "end" to the game, just completely open gameplay where you develop your town into a map-spanning city. Granted, by that point I would probably start over. I definitely agree that going to a more macro aproach is not a good idea, but the game as is needs better ways to issue orders even at the micro level.

killerx243

I think for escape endgames there should be a chance that when it is going through the endgame sequence or whatever happens a message pops up that says the ship is crashing and it happens again on a different moon. You get to choose the storyteller and map size then it starts a new game. The colonists are scattered with most dead, some wounded and a few alive and well. All weapons are destroyed or badly damaged (if durability counts for effectiveness with them). There are resources scattered around but not enough to make it overpowered.

This would provide a very heavy initial challenge to save your wounded and be fast paced at burying the bodies of your friends.

todofwar

Quote from: killerx243 on November 19, 2013, 09:20:39 PM
I think for escape endgames there should be a chance that when it is going through the endgame sequence or whatever happens a message pops up that says the ship is crashing and it happens again on a different moon. You get to choose the storyteller and map size then it starts a new game. The colonists are scattered with most dead, some wounded and a few alive and well. All weapons are destroyed or badly damaged (if durability counts for effectiveness with them). There are resources scattered around but not enough to make it overpowered.

This would provide a very heavy initial challenge to save your wounded and be fast paced at burying the bodies of your friends.

I like the idea but I would let you keep all guns equipped at the time you escape, and instead of dying like half your colonists are incapacitated. Raids start out almost as high as they were right before you left. Opens up a newgame+, you're now building your base and trying to set up defenses while raid after raid hits you.

killerx243

I think raids should wait a day or so, it took them that long to notice you the first time. And if the game sends a 20 person raid at you and you only have 4 people with 100 health there is no chance at survival.

Another thing research should be saved if your top scientist survived.

Semmy

Quote from: killerx243 on November 20, 2013, 10:15:35 AM
I think raids should wait a day or so, it took them that long to notice you the first time. And if the game sends a 20 person raid at you and you only have 4 people with 100 health there is no chance at survival.

Another thing research should be saved if your top scientist survived.

oww but in that case something else should become more difficult.
If you start with all research already it becomes to easy to dig yourself deep into the mountain.
So maybe if scientist survives kill all soldiers d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

todofwar

You have a choice: save the scientist, or save the soldier. Maybe there is some scenario where you have to decide on taking your computer loaded with all your research vs your weapons, due to fuel restrictions