Question about World Generation

Started by Silvador, April 16, 2015, 03:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

When a world is generated, and it is populated with raider bases and tribes and so on, are those settlements also populated with people at the same time?

I inquire about this because I bought Rimworld last update and put a name in to be added to the game. According to the rewards site thingy where I put said name in, my custom name was approved. Now, making a new colony, I spammed the randomise button for a couple of minutes but never saw that name show up. So I was wondering if perhaps it was either not added this update or if there's the possibility it was "reserved" for one of the raider/tribe/outlander settlements on the world map.

Dr. Z

Afaik the names of the visitors get generated when they appear on the map. The colonies you see on your world map are just there because the game requires them to have a base on the map, they have no real function. In the options menu you can enter the last name of your character to raise the possibility of his/her appearing.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jan2607

I noticed that some names appear more than once.
Yesterday I had a prisoner named "Tol". I recruited him and one hour later raiders attacked me. There was one raider named "Tol", too. I captured and recruited him.
Finally I had two colonists named Tol.

And names of killed raiders will also appear again.
So I think names are not "reserved" for specifically guys.

Silvador

Quote from: Dr. Z on April 16, 2015, 07:35:33 AM
Afaik the names of the visitors get generated when they appear on the map. The colonies you see on your world map are just there because the game requires them to have a base on the map, they have no real function. In the options menu you can enter the last name of your character to raise the possibility of his/her appearing.

Perhaps I just had a run of bad luck. I'm sure there's a massive list of names that could be chosen during character selection.

Quote from: Tynan on April 16, 2015, 05:18:33 PM
What was your character name?

Micheal "Silvador" Silvers

Tynan

Put Silvers in the preferred names in the options menu.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Silvador

Woo! There it goes. Thanks. XD

Like I said before, maybe I was just having terribad luck with the randomise button. That made me wonder if maybe names got allocated to pawns from NPC colonies on world gen or something else.

Anyways, coolios. ^-^