Ack. Randy Random got me finally.

Started by Tippssy, April 01, 2018, 09:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tippssy

Pretty new to the game. Played the tutorial, kept going til I had 8 colonists. Thought "let's see how this goes" and started a new game. Tribal, some challenge, Randy, permadeath.

Like 15 hours into it. Doing surprisingly well. Had some deaths to 2 separate plagues in a single year and I executed a cook because he kept resisting arrest when he went on drug binges, no big deal. I have 8 colonists now. Got the event for someone being pursued, so I opted to save them. The raid had 8 people with bows. Great. My colonists consist of 2 people with passable melee skills and steel longswords and nobody with a shooting skill above 2 (the plague liked the shooters I suppose). 1 greatbow, a couple low tier guns with like 50% durability, awful quality from raiders.

10 seconds after they appeared, a 5 pirate raid dropped in by pods. 1 superior sniper rifle, 2 grenades, 2 melee.

So much pain. 2 deaths, including the only other one who could cook. I'll need to expand my graveyard.

Dashthechinchilla

I started a randy rough rich explorer. The second day I sent her out to plant the fields. I get a cargo pods message and a moment later a colonist needs rescue message. Randy had dropped the pods on the only human on the map. She bleed to death shortly after.

Tippssy

Welp. He sent 4 more raids in 3 days. I had too many hurt people to fight back. The fires eventually consumed my food stores. No going back.

I arrested my remaining colonists and executed them. My last person alive died to infection from untreated wounds.

16 hours on my first tribal, some challenge, randy, permadeath file. Not complaining.

sick puppy

Canute

Quote from: Tippssy on April 01, 2018, 11:01:45 PM
I arrested my remaining colonists and executed them. My last person alive died to infection from untreated wounds.
You know you can throw out your pawn of the colony ? At the character sheet you got an icon top right for that.
Basicly you could throw out everyone and hope Randy is grateful and send you a new recruit before another raid happen.

Tippssy

Quote from: sick puppy on April 01, 2018, 11:58:51 PM
not complaining? that's the spirit.

Considering I created the file with the thought of "let's see how fast I get murdered" and lasted 16 hours, I'm pretty satisfied. I learned a lot too. Plus, there were plenty of times Randy was super cool to me, like sending me a dozen chickens right before winter so I had plenty of eggs.

Do people complain super hard about Randy? They could just... not choose him. Random is random. I found it exciting.

Tippssy

Quote from: Canute on April 02, 2018, 03:20:48 AM
Quote from: Tippssy on April 01, 2018, 11:01:45 PM
You know you can throw out your pawn of the colony ? At the character sheet you got an icon top right for that.
Basicly you could throw out everyone and hope Randy is grateful and send you a new recruit before another raid happen.

I wanted to go out with a bang. It was fun!

df_inc

Kirby23590

Randy Random is awesome!

Well he's kicking my $$$ in intense difficulty with no mods just to see how long will i last while keeping a named character alive or otherwise it's game over. I have to say to him, throwing a sapper raid with two snipers while i don't have resources to build a single turret in the base and it was very intense.
Luckily no colonist has died but except that boomrat who was bonded with that character but oh well...

I have lots of love and hate relationship with randy throwing me free food in a toxic fallout and throwing me a... oh look a crashed psychic ship part and oh after attacking the crashed ship have an mechanoid raid! But I'll never forget the rhino manhunter pack coming and then a refugee chased by a group of angry tribals in A14 with randy random...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.