[A12d] Grenade Mortars 0.87

Started by chp2001, December 28, 2015, 06:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chp2001

Grenade Mortars

Great for hunting entire herds of animals at once!

Introduction
I spent 4 hours working on this yesterday after deciding I wanted a carpet bombing weapon/automated turret. This is my first somewhat working mod, so there are probably some bugs I haven't found yet. Use with caution.

Also since this is my first working mod, it is likely very unbalanced and possibly overpowered. Feedback would be great as it will help me with both this one and future mods :D

Current Features

• Handheld explosive mortars. They can fire 8 "grenades" per burst at up to 50 meters with 2 ticks in between each grenade. Each normal grenade has a small radius and little damage, but it is very inaccurate and usually only one grenade out of the entire 8 hits the specified target. Has a somewhat fast cool down for a mortar.
  • Automated turret version. It is 2x2 with more cost and armor than the vanilla turret.
  • Additional mortar variants. Each of these come with their own turret. Variants include: Heavy, Heavy Incendiary, Heavy EMP, Incendiary, EMP.
  • A fully functional tech tree. Each part given by this mod is locked behind a research. Normal mortars are the first one you can unlock, followed by two separate researches, heavy mortars and specialized mortars. Currently the final research available is heavy specialized mortars. This will definitely change as more types of mortars are added.

Credits
Most textures were taken from Marnador's vanilla turrets mod, he didn't have a license anywhere in the post and I don't know how to make high quality textures yet. All textures were modified in some way.

Updates

• 0.58 December 28, 2015 - Changed grenade count from 16 to 8, they were dealing far too much consistent damage for their cost.
  • 0.71 December 29, 2015 - Added specialized mortars, increased size, and extended tech tree.
  • 0.87 December 31, 2015 - Added heavy variants of the mortars and extended tech tree to account for the new types.

Planned Features

• Light mortar variants, half the amount of grenades and decreased damage, but a slightly faster reload time.
  • Long range heavy artillery variants with a targeting computer for accuracy.
  • Probably a name change to allow me to add more types of mortars. :P

License
You can use this in anything you want as long as you tell me first. Excluding monetized things such as paid modpacks or modpacks with a donation link. Youtube videos containing the mod may be monetized, just send me a link so I can watch the video.

[attachment deleted due to age]

chp2001

Update: 0.71 December 29, 2015

• Now has a small research tree, unlock the grenade mortar turrets and then specialized versions.
  • Finalized the texture for the explosive grenade turret, as well as sizing and cost. Is now 2x2 and costs more than the default turret in power and resources.
  • Added 2 more types of grenade mortars, EMP and Incendiary. EMP has a large blast radius and can stun a mechanoid for half a second before it adapts. Incendiary has a smaller blast radius and starts fires, useful for making walls of flames between you and the enemy. Until you run out of grass. :P
  • Started on textures and infrastructure to add heavy grenade turrets and their specialized versions, as well as more accurate sniper versions. These will require ammo similar to vanilla mortars due to their strength.

Emunator

This mod is great, keep it up! :)
Really loving the grenade turrets.

I think you should update the main post with the newer version so people don't accidentally download from there thinking it's the updated one.

chp2001

Quote from: Emunator on December 30, 2015, 05:18:36 AM
This mod is great, keep it up! :)
Really loving the grenade turrets.

I think you should update the main post with the newer version so people don't accidentally download from there thinking it's the updated one.

Thanks, I've got more turrets coming :D (Heavy versions and such)

Updated main post with a picture of current textures, correct file, and accurate information. :)

RickyMartini

Oh wow this mod is crazy. I've already tested this one on raiders, the fire mortar is the actual winner here. :D

By the way: "but it is very inaccurate and usually only one grenade out of the entire 8 hits the specified target" I wouldn't really say it is that inaccurate. Especially if you want to hit a whole group.

Alistaire

True, that is rather a case of poor precision rather than poor accuracy. Say it with an image!

chp2001

I said accuracy because each shot has rather low accuracy, but the combined 8 shots end up hitting the entire area of the target :P

I guess you could say it has high accuracy low precision, but I don't consider it accurate when one salvo covers the entire target in shells, as well as missing it by a few meters :P

RickyMartini

I'd say it is accurate for example relative to many other mortar mods or the vanilla mortars, but not accurate per se.

chp2001

Quote from: Skissor on December 30, 2015, 06:15:45 PM
Oh wow this mod is crazy. I've already tested this one on raiders, the fire mortar is the actual winner here. :D

By the way: "but it is very inaccurate and usually only one grenade out of the entire 8 hits the specified target" I wouldn't really say it is that inaccurate. Especially if you want to hit a whole group.

The fire mortar is the winner? What makes it the winner on comparison with the other two? It's supposed to be specialized at setting fire to the cover of enemies, but lower blast radius and damage.

Also, EMP seems to be useless, Mechanoids will be stunned for half a second and then become invulnerable to further EMP bombardment. Any idea how to make it more effective? Does it just need a flat damage increase?

chp2001

Quote from: Skissor on December 31, 2015, 11:35:54 AM
I'd say it is accurate for example relative to many other mortar mods or the vanilla mortars, but not accurate per se.
Fair enough. I guess it is more accurate due to the shorter range, not enough time or distance to get as much spread as other mortars.

RickyMartini

Quote from: chp2001 on December 31, 2015, 11:37:33 AM
The fire mortar is the winner? What makes it the winner on comparison with the other two? It's supposed to be specialized at setting fire to the cover of enemies, but lower blast radius and damage.

Because for it's range and reload time it is the best against raiders. It's like molotov cocktails with much higher range and 8 at a time.

chp2001

Do you think the mortars are currently balanced for their costs? Or do I need to double the reload time or such for 0.87? It's a mod and it's got a ton of easily changeable variables, would take a maximum of a minute to buff or nerf them significantly :)

chp2001

Update: Version 0.87

• Extended tech tree to heavy turrets and specialized heavy turrets. These have similar accuracy(precision, whatever :P) to the medium variants, but 3x3 with bursts of 16 more powerful shells.
  • Changed cooldown on mortars from 5 to 15 (17 for heavy). I'm not sure if it increased or decreased reload time, as the mortars still fire quickly.

Putting file in the first post and removing all extras to prevent confusion. :)

filippe999

So i had 4 heavy grenade launcher in my base the whole 3x3 behemoths of mass-grenading, and a horde of 60 tribesmen advanced upon me, after thf first salvo 40 were dead and the rest where fleeing.

Love the mod