my issue with games like this

Started by Bainin, November 21, 2013, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainin

I rlly like such games like Dwarf fortress rimworld prison architect and others but one thing bugs me rlly badly.
The fact i will never leave my small place or i cant go out of the edge of the map.
yeah i know about the ship you could build to finish the game even tough i dont rlly like that idea, i mean i want to explore more of the world like send some settlers out of the map building a outpost meeting other camps and so on, while i still can switch back to my base to look whats happening there. ( i know its pretty alpha and there will be nothing like this in a loong time or maybe never) but are there any plans to move out of the boarders of the map making a second camp or exploring the world a bit? I always feelt prisoned in Dwarf fortress at some point my base get unbeatable no matter whats attacking me or social problems also not big of an issue and the game was actually getting bit boring so i had to start over.

Semmy

Actually tynan stated that that won't happen.

Let me look if i can find his post for you

Quote from: Tynan on October 17, 2013, 01:48:32 PM
You probably won't be going off the map just because it strikes me as inelegant game design. The game is about your colony and the area surrounding it; how you've build the place up and customized it, and the history of events that have occured nearby. We've invested a huge amount of designer and player effort in making that an interesting space with meaning in it. And the AI makes all sorts of assumptions about the game that would break if you took away the base. Sending you off-map throws that all away.

Also, it creates technical/logical problems. Loading into and out of multiple maps is a bit of a headache. Plus, you'd have to tick the original map while you were looking at another one (otherwise it would be frozen in time), which creates a huge performance hit. And you'd have to create new systems for handling needs like eating and sleeping, because they wouldn't be able to go to their beds or a nutrient dispenser.

I'd rather just have a bigger map that you can discover over time, with targets for optional offensive ops scattered around.

there you go (-:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Nasikabatrachus

If he's completely ruled it out, I think that's unfortunate. I played the "Revolutionaries" prototype recently and I thought it was fairly fun, if unpolished. A "raid a place for supplies" mechanic in RW could be very interesting, especially if it were paired with endgame scenarios.

Edit: bummer.

Semmy

He didnt completely rule it out.
But he notes some problems that would occur and i can see the performance issues.
Edmund Burke

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Semmy on November 21, 2013, 05:18:00 PM
He didnt completely rule it out.
But he notes some problems that would occur and i can see the performance issues.

Yeah, I think my computer would choke and catch fire if it tried to run two RW maps at the same time. I was going to suggest that freezing time on the colony map while the player visits another site map, but I see that he's already accounted for the other headaches involved in that as well. Not being a programmer, I have no idea what would be involved in, say, loading two maps with separate but linked in-game calendars, but I suspect it would be a whole lot of work for a feature that wouldn't be mature for a long while.

Bainin

Awww bummer that sucks a bit but he could make the a lot map bigger with some diffrent biomes with fog of war we would not rlly know whats happening. Thats all i could think off to solve this problem xD. The bigest size of the map is still rlly small i could make the hole map a big base as soon i got some new settlers. always a bit more after a good amount of time im expanding it to the edge.
at my actual games no raiders apear i let the move on fastest speed since 30min but still nothing just drops and trade ships...
maybe because of the 2 big graveyards of enemys and all the blood split over the place around my base...

okay now they are attacking. waait why is this guy called gay? xD
20 guys attacked me only 2 survived it and could flee i having issues keeping my enemys alive to capture them...

Nasikabatrachus

Tynan has also stated that his preferred solution to the tower-defense/holing up problem, of which the "built-up invincible fort" is a subset, is to have raiders start using siege tactics and long-range fire, so that should change things up quite a bit if/when that is put in. It's a good solution within the limits he's working with, I think.

Stickle

Quote from: Bainin on November 21, 2013, 05:45:35 PM
Awww bummer that sucks a bit but he could make the a lot map bigger with some diffrent biomes with fog of war we would not rlly know whats happening. Thats all i could think off to solve this problem xD. The bigest size of the map is still rlly small i could make the hole map a big base as soon i got some new settlers. always a bit more after a good amount of time im expanding it to the edge.
at my actual games no raiders apear i let the move on fastest speed since 30min but still nothing just drops and trade ships...
maybe because of the 2 big graveyards of enemys and all the blood split over the place around my base...

okay now they are attacking. waait why is this guy called gay? xD
20 guys attacked me only 2 survived it and could flee i having issues keeping my enemys alive to capture them...

I wouldn't go expecting giant map sizes in the future, either, if I were you. They're limited to the sizes we have now for performance issues; pathfinding and probably some other algorithms get much harder with bigger maps. When the game is more finished and has actually been optimized he might be able to boost the sizes some more, but don't expect anything massive.

Tynan

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on November 21, 2013, 05:57:38 PM
Tynan has also stated that his preferred solution to the tower-defense/holing up problem, of which the "built-up invincible fort" is a subset, is to have raiders start using siege tactics and long-range fire, so that should change things up quite a bit if/when that is put in. It's a good solution within the limits he's working with, I think.

Yes, you'll have to go out and attack the raiders instead of waiting for them to come for you.

As for leaving the map, yeah, the original post still applies. Much more likely, however, is sending colonists on quests to do something off-map. You wouldn't direct them while they're gone, but they would go and do something and return with some result based on their skills, equipment, and the situation.

Also, thinking about this more, it occurs to me that there may be a solution. You could send colonists on a quest. They leave. Several days pass. Partway through that, we freeze the colony map and go to a new map where your questing colonists are attacking a fort or something. You play that out to resolution. Then you go back to the colony map and continue playing until the colonists return and arrive. This solves the double-time problem. It's reasonably feasible. However, when people can't even cook food yet, it's a rather low priority :).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on November 22, 2013, 02:43:25 AM

Yes, you'll have to go out and attack the raiders instead of waiting for them to come for you.

As for leaving the map, yeah, the original post still applies. Much more likely, however, is sending colonists on quests to do something off-map. You wouldn't direct them while they're gone, but they would go and do something and return with some result based on their skills, equipment, and the situation.

Also, thinking about this more, it occurs to me that there may be a solution. You could send colonists on a quest. They leave. Several days pass. Partway through that, we freeze the colony map and go to a new map where your questing colonists are attacking a fort or something. You play that out to resolution. Then you go back to the colony map and continue playing until the colonists return and arrive. This solves the double-time problem. It's reasonably feasible. However, when people can't even cook food yet, it's a rather low priority :).

Besides the fact.
That the attacking party should loose the options to be able to build etc.
To prevent people from making a secondary fortress and dragging out the mission
Edmund Burke

mumblemumble

I VERY much like this idea, since raiding / exploring places could add some real meat to the game. Course, would need to be paired with bringing supplies (rations to take with, maybe roll up beds / medkits) but I could see this as very interesting to do. But of course as you said, this is a little ways out.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Galileus

Did people suddenly loose the ability to use quotes, or are you guys doing it on purpose? >.<

todofwar

I like this idea, a lot. Especially if relationships are implemented, sending the wrong pair causes tension. Sending out someone's lover causes a drastic happiness penalty. 

Galileus

As for the idea itself I have mixed feeling about it. I do like it - and I do like it a lot. Send a team out, then have the tactical engine shine when you jump from cover to cover on a pre-build map? Sounds like a lot of fun. The problem here is that I would love to see my off-screen missions a lot more... unpredictable. At least before some research point, as was mentioned here. This could be simply addressed by having these two being different category of missions - a pre-planned ones and expedition ones. Just so that there is still this feeling of vast, unexplored world out there to get you, instead of few instances that you can jump between.

killerx243

[...]

I think that would work out great, if the raiders had an outpost on the same map they wouldn't just be sending raids but a full fledged attack. You would be taking territory from them and they would need to take you out otherwise others would see they can just take land from them. A baggage train would also be nice to bring extra equipment and haul stuff back, pack animals or vehicles depending on how advanced you are technologically and if you want to risk them.