Vents and walk-in freezers

Started by Silvador, April 16, 2015, 07:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

So, I noticed that vents have been added to the temperature tab of the architecture menu. Can anyone elaborate on this new... feature? mechanic? thing!

How are these vents intended to be used? Do I just slap one in a wall and it stops my temperature in that room for going up and down like a yo-yo? Can it be used on both heated and cooled rooms, or only one or the other? Will it reduce the number of heaters/coolers I need to use?

In a8 the heating made sense and seemed to work pretty straight forward. In a9 it got overhauled... and tweaked numerous occasions, but still seemed a bit cumbersome and confusing as far as establishing a stable temperature, especially in a large room. Now, in a10, with the addition of these vents, I have no idea what to expect...

JonoRig

Vent is a passive temp item that allows two rooms go equilise their temperature, like having a hole in the wall, but blocked off to stop pawns wandering through, in fact the description says:

A simple vent for equalizing the temperature between two rooms without allowing people to walk between them

Boboid

Imagine a vent.

It works exactly like that.
Except Aliens don't use them to get around your colony.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Boboid on April 16, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
Imagine a vent.

yet
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

linkxsc

Basically. If you were in a desert and everyone was whining about hot bedrooms all the time before, what could you do? Put a chiller in every room? Usually I just had my colonists deal with it. Now the vents can be placed in the bedroom walls leading into the main hall (air conditioned/heated) and let a pair of centeral cooling systems deal with it rather than possibly 6-8 individual chillers.

JimmyAgnt007

Id prefer vents going up, in a mountain you can bleed off heat deep in your base upwards.  Though I personally just use thermal shafts to dump my heat.  never goes over 120 really so it works well enough.

Snownova

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on April 16, 2015, 10:31:45 AM
Quote from: Boboid on April 16, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
Imagine a vent.

yet

Oh. My. Tynan. Imagine if megascarabs could climb through those things! We need a new event, megascarab vent invasion!

Kegereneku

That's it, I'm building turret in front of all my vent.

(inbefore someone build absurd number of vent and a killbox to eat scarab forever)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

rmurdocci

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on April 16, 2015, 10:38:48 AM
Id prefer vents going up, in a mountain you can bleed off heat deep in your base upwards.  Though I personally just use thermal shafts to dump my heat.

Jimmy, can you please elaborate on the "thermal shafts" topic... Do you mean a cave dug up deep inside your base (4x4 or larger), or is there a way to dig upwards and out when deep in the mine to vent using a 1x1 hole?

Silvador

After reading these responses I a) wonder where my brain was last night when I made my original post, and b) fear using vents in case of scarabs >.>

milon

Quote from: rmurdocci on April 16, 2015, 06:33:07 PM
Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on April 16, 2015, 10:38:48 AM
Id prefer vents going up, in a mountain you can bleed off heat deep in your base upwards.  Though I personally just use thermal shafts to dump my heat.

Jimmy, can you please elaborate on the "thermal shafts" topic... Do you mean a cave dug up deep inside your base (4x4 or larger), or is there a way to dig upwards and out when deep in the mine to vent using a 1x1 hole?

He's talking about the former.  If it was the latter, heat would not get trapped and the 1x1 room temp would be equal to Outside.  (Which you can achieve using No Roof Zone, as long as it's not Overhead Mountain.)