can anyone tell me if this plan would be possible?

Started by puffascruffowitz, April 30, 2015, 04:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffascruffowitz

I want to make a really spacious museum type room built into this mountain. Is it possible to use 1 unit sections of wall as "columns" in a really big room to support it? A lot of work so I'm wondering if it's possible before I give it a shot. On this  plan the blank spaces are where I had in mind for the 1 unit marble wall chunks as columns.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Coenmcj

That's easily supported, you'll be right.

It's something like every 6-7 spaces or so without supports that it collapses?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

puffascruffowitz

Sweet, thanks a lot. So I guess I can space them out a little more even. I'll be sure to save before I start playing around though wouldn't be the first time someone got crushed.

Boboid

You can make a 10x10 room without any supports ( Apart from the walls of the 10x10 obviously ) so every wall provides 5 areas of support.

You can make massive rooms with only minimal support so long as you remember the 5 space rule :)

In fact if that 16x23 room could be made with only 6 supports. 4 if it was 16x22.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Adamiks

Roof collapses if don't have any block in 12 blocks away (12x12 room is max, but you will can build even 10/11x99999999999999999999 if you know what i mean.)

Boboid

Quote from: Adamiks on April 30, 2015, 04:47:23 AM
Roof collapses if don't have any block in 12 blocks away (12x12 room is max, but you will can build even 10/11x99999999999999999999 if you know what i mean.)

12 is most definitely incorrect - I even just tested it.

Here, everything within the planning radius has a roof over it.

Too lazy to set up imgur
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

Adamiks

Sorry, little mistake. I was concerned about "the max room you can build is 12x12 or 12x99999 (you can't build room 13x13 or 13x999 without walls in the center). Roof collapses if don't have any block in 5 blocks away.

Darth Fool

The largest unsupported distance is 5, so a 10x10 empty space room is possible.  So is a 10x20 room.  However, you can't leave columns at the corners of 10x10.  So two 10 wide hallways crossing will collapse in the center.  You would need to have columns every 6 or 7 spaces on one side by 10 on the other.  If you want even spacing in all directions, have a column every ninth space (8 empty spaces).

Kaballah

Yeah I do a support every 9, it works fine for large open spaces.

Negocromn

I use 11x11 halls with a pillar in the center. I think they are perfectly sized for either stockpiling specific stuff or for hosting crafting stations. Also, one trade beacon fits them just exactly right and it's really easy to replicate them whenever I need to more room.

Boboid

Quote from: Darth Fool on April 30, 2015, 08:19:52 AM
The largest unsupported distance is 5, so a 10x10 empty space room is possible.  So is a 10x20 room.  However, you can't leave columns at the corners of 10x10.  So two 10 wide hallways crossing will collapse in the center.  You would need to have columns every 6 or 7 spaces on one side by 10 on the other.  If you want even spacing in all directions, have a column every ninth space (8 empty spaces).

Whoops I went from 9x9 to 11x11 when testing, you're totally right 10x10 is the max.

winnsanity

Another thing to worry about is digging and finding open space with marsh

Boboid

Depending on how you feel about underground marshes (I have a deep loathing for them) you can choose to circumnavigate them with mods or at least know they're there ahead of time by using Dev mode -> God mode -> Deconstruct, draw it over an area of mountain ( But don't release ), anything that isn't highlighted is a pocket of space.