Work Smarter Not Harder?

Started by Jaxor, November 21, 2013, 03:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxor

Is it possible to have them haul resources with them after harvesting or mining when they decide to go back to base (if there's a Stockpile close or on the way) for whatever reason? Or is this too complicated?

Workload

I'm pretty should it can be done. I've run into this a lot and have to camp my guys when there mining far away.

linkxsc

this is 1 of those things that causes problems with programming AI. Not necessarily a "difficult" thing to modify. But I'm pretty sure that before we see that fix, something iwll need to be done about other AI issues like firefighting.

A quick fix I find though is have 1 person loligagging around with hauling as their only task set, they're usually pretty quick about it.

Semmy

This could be a awsome idea.
But i think this will be alot of work as you need to take alot into account.
It must work for everything.
Food hauling to stockpiles or dumps etc etc
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

todofwar

I wish they were smart enough to know when the max load they can carry has been mined/harvested and then haul it to the stockpile. I've had the issue of having a massive pile of metal lying around, and being told I have low metal. Then I make hauling priority 1, but they start hauling a bunch of other crap too.

linkxsc

Quote from: todofwar on November 21, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
I wish they were smart enough to know when the max load they can carry has been mined/harvested and then haul it to the stockpile. I've had the issue of having a massive pile of metal lying around, and being told I have low metal. Then I make hauling priority 1, but they start hauling a bunch of other crap too.

well if the metals super important, you can forbid the other things around, but that takes some time.

Perhaps dragging a box over some materials and checking a "high priority" box could be helpful, automatically assigning haulers to haul that stuff instead

ShadowDragon8685

I do agree on this. I wish colonists who are mining or harvesting plants who leave the job site would auto-prioritize hauling what they just dug out. Especially miners.
Raiders must die!

todofwar

Quote from: linkxsc on November 21, 2013, 09:51:30 PM

well if the metals super important, you can forbid the other things around, but that takes some time.

Perhaps dragging a box over some materials and checking a "high priority" box could be helpful, automatically assigning haulers to haul that stuff instead

I settled for assigning mining priority 2 and hauling priority 1, then they will automatically drag metal as soon as it's mined. So long as I make sure the mine and stockpile are far away from other hauling tasks. Of course, this is highly inefficient because they don't carry max capacity and waste time in transit. Having another dedicated miner helps though.

Semmy

It sounds reasonable that they mine a certain amount untill there hands are full and than go to the stockpile.

But i would be pissed off aswell.
That stupid miner must mine that bloody corridor and not haul the metal away.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

windruf

just set one as hauler.
i usually use  a researcher for it: research is ready and for most other thing he needs better skills.
but yes, a way o say: "haul this now" would help. like in Gnomoria "clean floor"

todofwar

Quote from: Semmy on November 22, 2013, 10:44:52 AM
It sounds reasonable that they mine a certain amount untill there hands are full and than go to the stockpile.

But i would be pissed off aswell.
That stupid miner must mine that bloody corridor and not haul the metal away.

There should probably be a division in priority between "mine for mineral" and "mine a base". Actually I think the priority system in general needs reworking, farming seems spread over three priorities right now.

Tobman10

I've had this problem quite a bit too. the only solution i could find so far is either to AFK for a little and let them haul it all, or build a stockpile 5 spaces away from the metal.
-Tob :)