Started by BBream, April 17, 2015, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBream

Quote from: Bucketsmith on April 21, 2015, 08:22:15 AM
Quote from: Riftmaster on April 17, 2015, 01:18:03 PM
Mad idea generated.

*cough* https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11367
I never got much feedback on that thread. :(

Congrats on the 'gold release' for your mod, BBream!
You could ask Shinzy or jabbamonkey for help with the graphics, they do some awesome work!

I'm glad to release mod. I hope you enjoy it.

Playbahnosh

It's a bit eerie how well Rimworld mirrors the development of Dwarf Fortress, especially in terms of features and functionality. When I opted into the alpha here last year, I was wondering how long it will take for hauling equipment and tools to show up, considering hauling takes up a huge amount of the colonists' time. It took years for hand carts and minecarts to show up in DF, I thought it will be some time before it happens in Rimworld, but I'm REALLY happy I was wrong.

Anyway, what I meant to say was, thank you for this mod! You are awesome! :)

I've been away from Rimworld for a while, so wearable containers, mountables and vehicles being implemented is news to me. But opens up a whole ton of possibilities.

One of which is obviously hauling gear and vehicles for many purposes. Just from the top of my head:
- Hand-carts (already working, not much to say)
- Trucks (it's like a movable stockpile, haul large amount of stuff, slow, consumes battery power, need to implement a charging station)
- Land speeders (like what Luke had in Star Wars, get from A to B fast, can hold more people but only a few pieces of cargo)
- Ambulance (already discussed, much like a movable hospital bed, on-site medical treatment and patient transport, needs to be stocked with medicine and needs high doctor skill to operate)
- Farming Tractor (not sure if attaching implements is feasible, but it could be "all-in-one" farming vehicle, slow, energy hungry, can plant and harvest large areas, needs to be upgraded (way more research) for more advanced crops.)
- APC/Tank (I mean, OBVIOUSLY :D Needs TONS of materials/research to build, needs more people to operate (driver, gunner, loader, commander), highly armored, has Machine Gun / Main Gun, needs shells to fire, high fuel consumption, slow as hell, if destroyed the operators have a high change of dying instantly).

Not sure how feasible vehicles are right now, how much code there is to support it, but it could be awesome. Also, maybe there could be an animal husbandry angle, maybe domesticate and ride Muffalos and Elks, or lead them around as pack animals.

As for wearables, I think it's an awesome idea. Maybe they can finally carry food/drinks with them so they don't have to return to the fridge to eat for example. There could be different types of backpacks. Like,
- Satchel (a small bag you sling across your shoulder, can only hold a few small items but doesn't impede movement)
- Backpack (can hold more items but slows movement a little)
- Large backpack (like those big hiking packs, it can store many items but slows movement a lot).
Also specialized packs:
- Doctor's Bag (holds only medical items/medicine, needs doctoring skill to use, gives a small boost to performing medical operations)
- Tactical Pack / Holster / Webbing (needs shooting/melee skill, allows you to carry additional weapons/ammo, small armor bonus)
- Farming Satchel (needs farming skill, only stores crops, less trips to the stockpile and no more harvested food lying around the farm, gives a small farming bonus)
- Builder's Pack (needs building skill, stores building materials (steel, wood, stone bricks))
- Tool Belt (needs building skill, stores tools (if and when implemented), gives bonus to building)

The movement slow could be dependent on the type/number of items stored and the wearer's strength. Also, lugging a large pack with tons of stuff in it should also be tiring to the wearer, maybe give a negative mood.

wakko151

Just a bit of confusion for me. While using this mod it became apparent that having aback pack does not mean they can carry more stuff on there own. You have to direct them to use the back back. Also the boxes allow me to place things in them to save on storage space but do not allow me to move more things at once. If this is untrue can someone please explain it to me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

Vega_Kotes

As far as I can tell backpacks are for carrying multiple weapons or pieces of clothing.

Cargo is what you're supposed to use to move multiple stacks of items.

BBream

I have fixed bugs but it's not added new contents. If you engage in bugs or trouble, then you can avoid it by making forbidden cargo.

Probe1

I really like this mod but it needs an exemption for items being built on worktables.  My haulers waste everyones time by taking unfinished shirts, statues, and other similar objects to a storage pile.

BBream

Quote from: Probe1 on April 22, 2015, 07:04:10 PM
I really like this mod but it needs an exemption for items being built on worktables.  My haulers waste everyones time by taking unfinished shirts, statues, and other similar objects to a storage pile.

Ok, I fix it next version. Thanks!

BBream

Muramas

It seems when a pawn is hauling multiple items with a cargo they ignore stockpile restrictions and place items in stockpiles where an item is forbidden

BBream

Quote from: Muramas on April 23, 2015, 03:41:38 PM
It seems when a pawn is hauling multiple items with a cargo they ignore stockpile restrictions and place items in stockpiles where an item is forbidden

Right. I see this problem and I'll fix it. You can avoid it by making forbidden cargo.
Thanks

comlink

This is a really excellent addition to the game. I'm glad that vehicles of any sort are being worked on. I do have an issue where my haulers stop hauling if the items are far away (playing on mountainous map).

Shouldn't the cargo be called a cart? It looks like a cart, and cargo is what is hauled, not what hauls.

BBream

Quote from: comlink on April 24, 2015, 12:25:24 AM
-snip

Ok, I'll check in mountain map but I cannot guess what problem is. You can avoid it by making forbidden all cargo.

You call it cart? Wow! someone call it box. Haha...well I think I choose wrong word but I don't want to change because if do that, everybody should start new game.

Turtle Dude

Does your mod have any restrictions when being installed as in other mods, because I've seem to run into an issue that if my colonists are going to haul they will instead be stuck in an idle mod even with over 1000+ items that are not forbidden. There is a chance this due to one of the other mods I have installed, but none of them mess with hauling besides this one.

Just did checking on what caused it, it would seem that the Cargo if they are allowed to be used at all it will cause them to mess up the hauling, and make them go into a idle state till another job opens, or they are made forbidden themselves. I have not tested the backpacks if they would do the same yet will be able to test later.

BBream

Quote from: Turtle Dude on April 25, 2015, 01:49:14 AM
Does your mod have any restrictions when being installed as in other mods, because I've seem to run into an issue that if my colonists are going to haul they will instead be stuck in an idle mod even with over 1000+ items that are not forbidden. There is a chance this due to one of the other mods I have installed, but none of them mess with hauling besides this one.

Just did checking on what caused it, it would seem that the Cargo if they are allowed to be used at all it will cause them to mess up the hauling, and make them go into a idle state till another job opens, or they are made forbidden themselves. I have not tested the backpacks if they would do the same yet will be able to test later.

I'm so sorry. I have just found and fixed critical bug. This bug remove item from listerHaulable. For fixing it, you should follow this.
1) install this mod V1.1
2) All item make forbidden
3) All item make unforbidden

Then, item added list of haulable. I'm sorry for your inconvenience.

BBream

Quote from: Probe1 on April 22, 2015, 07:04:10 PM

I didn't fix it because you can prevent it. You can uncheck unfinished thing in storage setting then your colonist don't haul it anymore.