Repairing cost

Started by Workload, November 22, 2013, 03:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

Just tossing this out there.

Would anyone think it be to hard to pay a % of metals or whatever the material is to repair.
Then people have to be smart on how much buildings/objects they place and make sure they have a good supply of materials or you can just watch your base slowly fall apart.

Semmy

Moved to suggestions. Please keep in mind in wich area your topic fits.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Workload

Sorry didn't want to suggest it kinda was asking if it be ok. Now I think about it fits here too :p

Semmy

It fits here wayyy better since it means more work from tynan..
remembers me of those grunts from warcraft "mo work"

But anyways i think it is a really awsome idea.
Repairing shouldnt be free. Kinda weird if your turret gets 80% damage and you fix it with all the broken pieces over and over again (-:
Edmund Burke

Workload

Yeah it does, Thanks hoping someone would think the same haha

Galileus

I dislike this. You would need daily reports on outcome of metal or proper inflow/outflow system for metal. Otherwise you either sit with pen and paper or suddenly loose all your metal because who would want to sit down with pen and paper to work on probable metal expenses on repairing buildings? Then, you would have the problem of "why even repair then?".

It's a soft cap to base size, and I like that. I just don't think it's a very good one.

As a once-in-a-while event, why not. Something really breaks down and you need to spend 20-40% of its cost in metal to repair it. Or maybe choose between fast but

Semmy

I don't think a upkeep is the right way to do it tbh.

I do like the idea of repair costing something.
If a 200metal costing something damages for 50% i dont find it weird if it would cost something like 40 to 60 metal to repair it.
Edmund Burke

Galileus

It does sound reasonable, but not in synq with daily repairs of 50% of your base. Not with metal being a resource you cna only gain by active action and don't have any kind of automated mines. It would give a bit of additional depth to raiders attacks - but with daily repairs of everything that would be a huge pain, really.

I would see one or another - either costly repairs or daily ones.

Workload

It be a very low cost to and depend also what it is.

Walls would cost 1 metal and most 2 metals  but
other things like the console, costing 120 metals so the max repair cost would be 50% to 20% if down to 1 HP costing 60 to 30 metals     Could even make that % lower.
The full price would really only apply to walls/sandbags
Plus it wouldn't be your whole base needing 50% upkeep just things that take damage 

So repairs wouldn't be that bad and when does everything get trashed not very often it makes tons of since to pay a upkeep to keep your items/walls

mumblemumble

If repairing costs were implimented, the whole cost system would need to be revamped, most likely, since repairs are needed almost 24/7, and this would likely skyrocket colony costs.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

enystrom8734

It would probably be helpful to have a rework of how damage occurs. Only have specific events that cause damage (eg raids, lightning, booms, fire, storms, etc) instead of the currently, "Im going to randomly damage a wall to 50% health."
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Bainin

The suggestion kina changed a bit but okay :-) repair.. Well i rlly dont like how the turrents explode way to mutch damage and not mutch logic i think, usally turrents wont explode meaking a chain reaktion and fuck up your whole defense. Also bushfire and molotovs burining metal walls down is a issue with that.
I lready have problems because i have no metal and leaving the base is dangerous it would eat up all my metal from trading.

Col_Jessep

Repairs are not free at all. You guys are forgetting one of the most important resources: time. Every second a settler spends walking or repairing is a second he does not grow food, mine or haul. You ARE paying for repairs already with all the resources you do not collect during the time repairs take place.

Imo what we should be talking about is repair time. It strikes me as odd how fast a nutrient dispenser is repaired compared to a couple of wall segments. Adjusting the repair time keeps the repair feature transparent for the user without increasing complexity unnecessarily.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Semmy

Quote from: Col_Jessep on November 25, 2013, 08:18:58 AM
Repairs are not free at all. You guys are forgetting one of the most important resources: time. Every second a settler spends walking or repairing is a second he does not grow food, mine or haul. You ARE paying for repairs already with all the resources you do not collect during the time repairs take place.

Imo what we should be talking about is repair time. It strikes me as odd how fast a nutrient dispenser is repaired compared to a couple of wall segments. Adjusting the repair time keeps the repair feature transparent for the user without increasing complexity unnecessarily.

Yes it costs time but it should always cost materials aswell.
This to make your walls/sandbags/turrets more valuable. Now i just got a overflow of metal and food making them very very cheap.
Edmund Burke

Workload

Doesn't building things take time as well.
Plus with the later features there will be a lot of different ways to make metals and repairing would be least of your worries.

I also was thinking that selling objects and what not would have to be disassemble/taken apart instead of despawning stuff but let people disassemble things that have taken damage so it works around bugs with logic and allows you to sell damage items for different reasons, like need some fast metals, Someone stuck around/behide the object, No metals to repair it.