Flora Behaviors

Started by Benny the Icepick, April 17, 2015, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny the Icepick

I recognize that there's a lot of issue over Tynan's decision (now reversed) to prevent colonists from sowing trees.  To me it brings up a larger issue about agriculture in the game: different plants should be better suited to different biomes.

Just as colonists need to adjust their wardrobe to be comfortable in multiple seasons, shouldn't their choice of what to plant be influenced by the local climate? 

Biome type, annual rainfall, and soil type should factor into how quickly each plant grows, how much food it yields, and how resistant it is to blight.  You wouldn't be able to grow rice in a desert (not as easily, anyways) or Cecropia trees in a tundra.  Diversifying the hardiness of a plant based on where its grown would add greater variety to the gameplay, in my opinion.  I'd be curious to hear of anyone else's take.

Renham

for me at least would be interesting to have a seed options for the plants, for instance, have several kinds of plants available each with the pros and cons for the different biomes, you would be able to trade these seeds in order to obtain one with the best quality.

and I dont mean having to buy a bunch of seeds to sow more like you buy the seed, chose it in your "seeds" screen and colonist will use it in the fields it wont deplete or reduce in amount, althou you will be able to plant crops to obtain better seeds or buy then or trade.

one example would be to produce seeds of rice that can grow fast in the desert vs the regular rice seed.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.