Thoughts on 10c

Started by wakko151, April 17, 2015, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakko151

Much better balance for Joy. Now my guys are in good moods all the time and the early game was not as unforgiving as before. A little beer, horse shoes and a chess table.. and we are into the mid game. I haven't had any problems so far. Still in my first game and getting into fortress construction instead of a crappy survivors camp. Will update after another 10 hours or so in.

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback.

Love to hear anyone else's play stories as well!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TLHeart

I was only having problems in "b" with the already grumpy colonists.  But I have always provided more comfort my colonists than I see many people on utube do.

pacing is must better in "c". Prisoners from the pirates are hard to recruit, but I think they should be hard. The crash landing pod survivors are easy, and a prisoner from one of the other clans take some time but come over eventually, in my 4 bed 1 table 8x10 prisoner room.

Joy for my colonists is no problem... I set 1 hour of joy time in the morning, 6 hours of work, 1 hour of joy, 6 hours of work, and then anything time until bedtime. Base gets built, and they are happy. As time goes by, a horse shoe pin.

An extra hour of joy time for the grumps helps.

No other happiness, joy boosts needed for the first 9 months.

I am really enjoying alpha 10 and the joy work schedule.

Kaballah

Overall playing in tundra and boreal forest seems much harder than it used to be, which is great.  Seems like animal density got turned down, and especially in the winter time animals become very scarce.  Good changes.

I didn't have any problems keeping colonists "full o joy" in 10b but okay!  Prisoners are another matter, in a couple of games where I had 5+ prisoners it was often really hard to keep them from bashing each other to death.  I also have not been able to set a prisoner free, I'm not sure if that's a bug or if everyone was just too busy treating their wounds and whatnot. <- if that was a thing, it doesn't happen any more in 10c

Demoulius

I havent patched yet (so feedback for 10a I guess :P) but the joy system is mostly rough early on. Later on if you got a horseshoe pin, the chessboard and the billiards table setup they gain a hefty increase in happiness so making it to easy would take a bit of the challenge out of it imho.

Then again, my guys start AND end the day with 2 hours of joy (if they need it) so theyre not the most productive bunch :D

wakko151

I have noticed that is harder to make money since 9. Once they changed the goods get destroyed slowly while outside it has become really hard to sell things. By the time a trader stops by and actually wants to buy the things I am selling most of it has been destroyed. Maybe someone knows a better way? Other then that it seems well balanced. I have been playing in an All year growing forest. I like the people joining every few up until about 5 people. They don't seem to join after that. Pirates, as was mentioned, are really hard to recruit. I haven't had alot of pods crash land. And most people have died before I have been able to recruit them Normally this wouldn't be a problem but now that I can't make some cash selling items I am having problems building up my colony. I have never tried to build a space ship and get people off the planet. But I normally build a colony with about 10-20 people. I would really like to see some New AI Directors.

Cimanyd

Quote from: wakko151 on April 18, 2015, 01:30:10 PM
I have noticed that is harder to make money since 9. Once they changed the goods get destroyed slowly while outside it has become really hard to sell things. By the time a trader stops by and actually wants to buy the things I am selling most of it has been destroyed.

You can trade things that are under a roof now, unlike before deterioration was added, so just store anything that deteriorates inside a building with a trade beacon. Make sure you have some area outside in range of the beacon, or just another beacon outside, to keep things you get from landing in strange places.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Jstank

I'm having a good time with Alpha 10c so far. It is now winter and we are all happy little cannibals. I do find it more difficult to recruit people as I have to set them to friendly chat THEN set them to recruit at which time there is no friendly chatting... as I can tell. You would think that they can friendly chat and recruit at the same time. I could be mistaken though.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Dave-In-Texas

once i started using time tables and give them a schedule, things stopped feeling like they were dragging.  of course, the fast forward button is your friend.  On previous alpha's i would rarely use it unless they were all asleep, now its more comfortable to fast forward for longer periods. lol.

mcduff

Quote from: Cimanyd on April 18, 2015, 01:56:00 PM

You can trade things that are under a roof now, unlike before deterioration was added, so just store anything that deteriorates inside a building with a trade beacon. Make sure you have some area outside in range of the beacon, or just another beacon outside, to keep things you get from landing in strange places.

You can?

OK I wasn't aware of this change. I must have missed it. This changes a lot of stuff.

wakko151

Quote from: Cimanyd on April 18, 2015, 01:56:00 PM
Quote from: wakko151 on April 18, 2015, 01:30:10 PM
I have noticed that is harder to make money since 9. Once they changed the goods get destroyed slowly while outside it has become really hard to sell things. By the time a trader stops by and actually wants to buy the things I am selling most of it has been destroyed.

I did not know that. Thank you so much. Already setup a new storage area and its great. They take the stuff in the storage areas and the silver is dropped right outside my door. Thanks again.

keylocke

awesome. rimworld a10 = 10/10. lol

anyways, looking forward for a11  ;D

De1ta

The work schedule is great.  I'm not going to lie, when I saw the joy system, I thought "Great, now my colonists will be even less productive."  However, the way you've implemented it is great, and the work schedule makes managing large(r) colonies way, way easier.

The quality-of-life improvements, what with outfit management and all, help make the game much more relaxing to play.  I'm interested to see what kind of black magic Shinzy will have to do to make Apparello compatible with the outfit management system.

puddlejumper448

The first think I want to say is I like the joy system, even though imo for realism sake, i think it shouldn't kick in until "new colony optimism" is gone, but that's not the issue i'm having.

Overall, i am finding a10 a lot less fun than before. I started a new game and chose the first random characters i got, like normal, and they weren't too bad. My first character the colony got was the free one from the beginning, and he was decent. One of my originals was good at mining so i let him mine, he was a pessimist which is manageable, except that he kept passing out from exhaustion because he worked through the night and after the (literally) 6th time I did it, i got tired of changing his schedule to sleep on every slot just so he would sleep, thats too much micromanagement imo, so his permanent -6 became an almost permanent -16, and he kept soft breaking until he finally wen beserk and i had to kill him. great, back to three colonists.

the first escape pod came down and the guy was depressive and abrasive, no thanks. first raid was on day 9 i believe, and day 48 the idiot was still in the prison, his recruit level thing is 58 and my recruiter is social 8, but he was just too un happy about everything, i was spending all my days trying to make thr prison better and couldnt advance on my base because almost 5 in game months later i still had 3 colonists.

with this new time system and falling asleep when they are exhausted, it really needs the option to right click a bed and make a colonist sleep. and prisoners shouldnt be this hard to recruit, i understand from a realistic pov i suppose, but from a progression point it sucks, and i dont even know what changes to suggest. the prison add on mod will help for sure, so im done with vanilla a10 right now, ill try modded once some get updated

(EDIT) I forgot to mention the second AND the third raid, where all three guys (three each raid) fled after literally one gunshot wound, so i got to capture none of them, not that it would have mattered because i cant seem to recruit anyone

rexx1888

on my play through i did note that prisoners were very difficult to recruit( i ended up with five prisoners without realising and the colony starved in its first winter... honestly i wasnt as focused on the game as i could be lol). However, i dont think lessening the difficulty is the answer. Truth is, the recruiting prisoners thing always felt a little weird to me. like, i get that the colonists might decide they are ok ppl, but why in all the hells would anyone join a colony that locks people in a room for days, just nagging and feeding them. i wouldnt mind if wardens did things like took the prisoner out for a walk or something. thus they could chat at them, and theyd lose the cabin fever thing they have over time. Of the top of my head thats the quickest solution i can think of to fix the recruit problem without drastically changing anything or adding a bunch of mechanics ala the prison mod.