Thoughts on 10c

Started by wakko151, April 17, 2015, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I greatly appreciate the feedback everyone. This is very useful.

I'm going to release a hotfix based on some of this. Look forward to a serious rebalance on recruiting.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Akyla

Quote from: De1ta on April 19, 2015, 03:49:02 PM
The work schedule is great.  I'm not going to lie, when I saw the joy system, I thought "Great, now my colonists will be even less productive."  However, the way you've implemented it is great, and the work schedule makes managing large(r) colonies way, way easier.

I feel exactly the same.

I find that the joy system really brings the colony alive from the ant-hive it has been thus far. And yet it doesn't make the colonists inefficient, which was my worry before trying it. The work schedule is great as well, as the scheduling makes the colony function more smoothly.

WISH: To plan specific tasks in the work schedule.
Especially hauling often requires micromanaging. If I make hauling too high a priority, my colonists will drop everything every time a crop is harvested, or some ore has been mined. If I make it a lower priority, the crops will be left to spoil. Leaving a single colonist to do the hauling can cause him to get stuck going back and forth with small stacks of crops and the like. So occasionally, I will put most on my colonists on hauling duty. Would be great if I can put this in their work schedule by default.

eberkain

Quote from: Akyla on April 20, 2015, 05:42:06 AM
Quote from: De1ta on April 19, 2015, 03:49:02 PM
The work schedule is great.  I'm not going to lie, when I saw the joy system, I thought "Great, now my colonists will be even less productive."  However, the way you've implemented it is great, and the work schedule makes managing large(r) colonies way, way easier.

I feel exactly the same.

I find that the joy system really brings the colony alive from the ant-hive it has been thus far. And yet it doesn't make the colonists inefficient, which was my worry before trying it. The work schedule is great as well, as the scheduling makes the colony function more smoothly.

WISH: To plan specific tasks in the work schedule.
Especially hauling often requires micromanaging. If I make hauling too high a priority, my colonists will drop everything every time a crop is harvested, or some ore has been mined. If I make it a lower priority, the crops will be left to spoil. Leaving a single colonist to do the hauling can cause him to get stuck going back and forth with small stacks of crops and the like. So occasionally, I will put most on my colonists on hauling duty. Would be great if I can put this in their work schedule by default.

Yes, putting a specific type of work like hauling and cleaning in the work schedule would be awesome.  Make it so that job is their priority for that time and if they can't find work then they do the regular priority.

AllenWL

This might just be my luck, but I seem to be facing more attacks then ever, and more people seem to be running away.

So far, I got attacked by a total of nearly 20~30 people. Other then 6~8, they all ran away. Also, with four colonists, I've been attacked by a pirate group of 10, one with a charge rifle.

Then, just two in-game days later, we get attacked by mechanoids. Twice in a row.

Either I'm doing something differently, or the game just got a lot more brutal...
Playing Randy, challenging(I think. The 'way rimworld was meant to be played' thing)

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: AllenWL on April 20, 2015, 09:23:38 AM
This might just be my luck, but I seem to be facing more attacks then ever, and more people seem to be running away.

So far, I got attacked by a total of nearly 20~30 people. Other then 6~8, they all ran away. Also, with four colonists, I've been attacked by a pirate group of 10, one with a charge rifle.

Then, just two in-game days later, we get attacked by mechanoids. Twice in a row.

Either I'm doing something differently, or the game just got a lot more brutal...
Playing Randy, challenging(I think. The 'way rimworld was meant to be played' thing)

Still playing my A9 colony. I thought Randy was whacko in A9 already. I thought Randy might get adjusted in A10. Because it was so obviously "too intense", I thought, that it must have been reported a thousand times already. By "intense", I mean Randy sends events ALL THE DAMN TIME. I'm still unsure if the chosen difficulty level matters but the difference between Cassandra on max difficulty and Randy on max difficulty is glaring. Cassandra sends traders painfully rarely. I think I went a full year without seeing a single trader. It was unnerving because I thought I might have hit a bug. Randy not only spams with traders, but also with drop pods. I'm playing with the ice sheet mod, so I thought I'd have to scrape and claw my fortune together. Nope, Randy just showers the area with free stuff. Since it's ice sheet, there are absolutely no animals (although I've had supposed "ice sheet" maps that have had animals), which means I'm not aware if Randy goes nuts with animal attacks as well. Does it? So, I started with Randy but after some time and frustration I switched to Cassandra. All I wanted was some tough fights and Randy messing with me with his random events every now and then, but I just can't get what I want out of the AI selection. I can't strike a balance. Randy keeps spamming with events and Cassandra bores me to tears with her LACK of events (although the lack of traders kept me on edge, too, which is good). I haven't experimented with Randy on easier settings because I suspect that (A) either the raids I'd get would be too weak for my liking and/or (B) no change would happen to the random event frequency. Or does Cassandra cut back on traders and drop pods as difficulty is increased? But if I'd tone down my Cassandra difficulty, that would mean smaller raids. I seek tough occasional (or rare) raids and Randy messing with me with his weirdness. Or, now that I think about it, was it the ice sheet mod that forced Randy to throw same events over and over because the animal events weren't applicable?

So there. That's my A9. Would I have a vastly different experience in A10? Have the storytellers been adjusted since A9? Personally I'm not thrilled about the joy system (pessimism) but I'm cautiously curious about it.

I should point out that even though I'm complaining and being a pessimist, I've had great fun with my ice sheet colonies, even if I can't seem to find the perfect AI. So yeah, great job making me feel conflicted! HAHA! I suppose it's the best possible reaction anyone could hope to get out of me.

The following is just my sugar-induced musings about Randy:

[SPOILER]I suspect Randy's development is the key to future fun. I see a lot of potential in Randy now that the game items have so much variety. Randy needs to get weird and truly unpredictable. Every now and then Randy needs to keep things suspiciously quiet as well. Too quiet, if you know what I mean. The calm before storm... or no storm. Randy should not form a behavioral pattern. I yearn more madness and weirdness from Randy... but within reason. Maybe add random weapon shipments in drop pods now that guns can be cheap? Cheap damaged sculptures, too? Prosthetics? Armor vests? A damaged lone mechanoid wandering in the wastes, slowly creeping its way across the map? A damaged lone mechanoid from a drop pod wandering aimlessly in daze locally, shooting at random animals or trees with its weapon, be it the incendiary cannon or a minigun? A Mechanoid (or tribal) hunting party, hunting animals, harvesting either their meat, skin, both or neither? The fertilizer pump could make a return as well, in the form of a drop pod deployment - it would drop from the sky and start changing the soil around it... for better or for worse, in varying area sizes or shapes. A malfunctioning terraformer unit? With or without defenses? A terraformer mechanoid? A hostile treecutter mechanoid? An ore miner mechanoid, unnervingly and slowly stealing your map's resources, building other more or less dangerous mechanoids or constructs? Seriously though, the more event variety is put into Randy, the less often "Randy should happen". Randy should happen 0.5 - 1 times a year... and it could/should be a glorious gamechanger every time. Maybe split Randy into two levels - big Randy events and smaller Randy events. Tribals should pick up loose firearms randomly... and point them dangerously at each other or at animals (once or twice), possibly hurting themselves. Should Randy have an event tracker, so that it would eventually force any events that have eluded the RNG "for too long"? Should it have a tracker so that it would prevent certain events from triggering again if they've been introduced "too many consecutive times" recently?[/SPOILER]

TLHeart

Quote from: AllenWL on April 20, 2015, 09:23:38 AM

Difficulty has increased, look at the tool tips

Tynan

I'm putting out a hotfix today to fix a lot of this.

EDIT: And btw thanks all for the great feedback. If the 10d update didn't make it obvious - this stuff all feeds directly into the dev process.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

antibodee

Please lower the occurance of health issues in new colonists.  I started three games in a row where the whole lot was almost blind and could barely walk.  At some point it stops being 'fun' and 'challenging' and starts changing into just an annoyance there is nothing you can do about.  I personally haven't been a fan of a10 at all because it feels like all the 'challenge' has been pushed to annoyances that you can't do anything about and the attacking armies have been scaled back too far.

skullywag

You can check your starting colonists just click the I and check their health.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Chesley

Loving Alpha 10c so far; haven't seen what you did today with d yet.  I noticed a definite change in the likelihood of recruiting from 10 to 10c.  I may have just been very lucky, but I've got 20+ guys in less than 80 days (granted I did kidnap a few of those, and several others came when the Outlander towns tried to make me pay for it).  If d makes that even easier it could potentially be "too" easy to get to big colony size, but I feel like the game gets much more fun once you get 10+ guys and can start specializing them so I like this change.   
Really like the minimum skill setting on the production tables and separating "smith" and "tailor" from "craft"... huge quality of life changes that are much appreciated. 
Joy is a great addition to the game. Hope you or a modder adds a computer down the road that lets your colonists play Rimworld for their joy; it would be awesomely meta, though to be realistic it should stop them from working for about 10 hours at a time :)