Alpha Problem (I think?)

Started by Calistyn, November 22, 2013, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calistyn

I've been messing around with the textures in game (even though it may not be relevant in the future  :P), and have successfully modified the ground textures without issue. So I figured I'd play with making the Nutrient Paste Dispenser look a little different.

I made my image, it loads in the game and functions just fine. However, there is forever a square shadow around it, almost as if the alpha has some transparency on it and is letting something through.

I've gone over my file multiple times, checked everything against the original dispenser, and have come up blank. So! Anyone have any ideas? The file and a screenshot are attached, if anyone is willing to look them over.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rhodes

Unfortunately, it's nothing you did.  Even in the base textures; everything has the square shadow.  You just don't notice it as much because most of the stuff in-game is actually square.

Tynan may correct me, but I believe it's the code for shadows, not your texture, that is the issue.
Best you can do is just square up your texture to fit the original dimensions to make it less obvious.

Calistyn

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Well, thank you for answering! :)

Tynan

Yes, it casts a shadow from its square edges. The shadow code doesn't analyze the texture to find the exact spot to cast shadows or anything like that. In general you should try to make your art match the tile edges as closely as possible. This also makes it look sensible when people use it as cover and lean around it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog