Smoke - Asphyxiation

Started by Elixiar, August 02, 2015, 08:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

We have lungs and breathing but as far as I'm aware it doesn't affect much.

Smoke from fires.

Outside, 1 tile around the fire is a little darker from smoke, a colonist in it for 2 long begins to suffer from asphyxiation, eventually collapsing and later leading to death.

Indoors is the real issue. (like heat wasn't enough)
Black smoke builds up quickly.
It can be vented by leaving doors open.
Anyone in a room full of smoke will succumb to it in the same way as above. :(

Also, if you extinguish a fire or it expires itself and the room isn't vented, black smoke looms indefinitely.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

DNK

Yes, this should happen. I'm guessing whatever's used for temperature could be adapted for smoke propagation as well.

kingtyris

+1 Smoke inhalation is the big killer in fires, not heat. Zoning the area as No Roof is one exploit to get around this, but that zone can be nerfed.

inman30

Yeah this should get added to the game. Just got to make sure its not OP. I can see it wiping out a whole room of prisoners or something

Fend

So can I use this shit to burn my prisoners at the stake like in the old times? That would be great.

User was banned for this and similar posts.

Toggle

For modelling it off temperature, if you did then it would work like it, so smoke wouldn't collect outside or anywhere with a roof open or anything. If you wanted smoke to gather even outside or slowly leave from open roofs and such, it would have to be quite different from temperature, and probably wouldn't be too simple.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Fend

Elixiar

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 20, 2015, 03:22:21 AM

Might want to tone down your language a bit mate.

As for modelling it off temperature, if you did then it would work like it, so smoke wouldn't collect outside or anywhere with a roof open or anything. If you wanted smoke to gather even outside or slowly leave from open roofs and such, it would have to be quite different from temperature, and probably wouldn't be too simple.
[/quote]

Well, if it was to be a whole new system I guess so, but if it wanted to be done cheaply, as in an open slot in the roof would be a cheap fix, (still would have maximum effect inside a mountain where roof removal isn't an option) then it would still be a nice feature to have.

I guess it would be up to the player if they wanted to cheat the system abit, although it's not much different from save scumming. Well, sort of.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

DNK

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 20, 2015, 03:22:21 AMAs for modelling it off temperature, if you did then it would work like it, so smoke wouldn't collect outside or anywhere with a roof open or anything. If you wanted smoke to gather even outside or slowly leave from open roofs and such, it would have to be quite different from temperature, and probably wouldn't be too simple.
What I was thinking was this:

Non-roofed areas act like a "cold zone" (ie smoke dispersing area) with a constant -smoke change to smoke within it. A single unroofed tile wouldn't be able to disperse more than a small campfire worth of smoke.

Generally, an outside area would be sufficient (even just a few open tiles) to disperse most smoke.

What's really nice is that this system can then be used to create pollution from production buildings/activities. We can also create special vents that have a higher-than-open-roof rate of smoke dispersal.

Toggle

Yeah, I was just pointing out we can't model it off temperature, and probably wouldn't be easy.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

milon

Smoke would work a lot like temperature, I think.  Outdoors, smoke rises up (harmless).  Indoors it builds up (deadly).

Smoke could be make to use the same temperature mechanic, with zero "ambient" smoke outside. Fire would generate a certain amount of smoke over time, and smoke would quickly leak out vents and open doors, and slowly through closed doors.  It would not leak through walls or roofs.  The higher the amount of smoke, the more deadly, and the faster a colonist would be incap'd or killed.  Could potentially be modded too, if the temperature mechanic isn't too hardcoded.