Landing in a ruined city

Started by Listy, April 22, 2015, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

From the change log:

"Added a small chance of map generating with a large number of ruins."

Bargain thinks I, now I'm wondering how small a chance. Because I've been re-rolling constantly for the last little while and nada.

Tynan

That was for A11, and I cut it the next day (needs real support to be worth doing).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Listy

**looks at the last 30 re-rolls**

Aww nuts...  ;)

More seriously, more terrain types would be nice. I love the Coast/Boreal forest, as it tends to be a marshy gloopy mess of a map.

One suggestion: A Savannah or grass plain, because at the moment you've got a temperature extreme if you want an open map. Everything else is densely forested.

rexx1888

dont get me wrong, i like ruins.. but at the moment they all feel super ancient(even the fancy metal ones) and it'd be really hard for me to actually think of the place im landing in as a city.

come to think of it, im not sure why that is O.o maybe the perspective, or the lack of 3d so i cant see ancient busted buildings with more than one level... or the lack of windows... god this bugs me, its so bizarre to not be able to articulate something like this O.o

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: rexx1888 on April 23, 2015, 04:17:28 AM
dont get me wrong, i like ruins.. but at the moment they all feel super ancient(even the fancy metal ones) and it'd be really hard for me to actually think of the place im landing in as a city.

come to think of it, im not sure why that is O.o maybe the perspective, or the lack of 3d so i cant see ancient busted buildings with more than one level... or the lack of windows... god this bugs me, its so bizarre to not be able to articulate something like this O.o

Maybe its because they are just walls in a square. Maybe add some doors, busted furniture, windows if they ever make it in, etc. to make them look like actual buildings?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Arigas

I was actually just thinking about the ruins. If there were things like furniture, production benches, even potentially some more rare things, like power systems partly still running, but anything is virtually destroyed, and either needs to be repaired, or can only be broken down for some materials, it would provide a nicer atmosphere. Could even have abandoned colonies hidden in mountains and such, with random sections covered in rubble.

rexx1888

^^ these guys get it. I think that would definately fix why i feel ruins are always old, but it still bugs me why i cant articulate why i think that.

its not just that they are empty squares... OOOOH i know what it is. Damage atm is shown with red flashing wound signs.. which means everything looks brand new, even the ruins.. which means everything feels like a ruin to me. it wasnt that ruins all felt old, its that everything looked like a ruin because the ruined buildings look literally just fine. Theres nothing falling off them, no rubble around them, the walls are pristine. theres nothing to show them as being old or new or of a uniform design or anything, because they are all the same squares with roofs i cant see through. i only think of the colony as a not ruin because i watch it get built and know its new. Thus, all ruins are the same non agey 'old' to my perception.

it amuses me that i never got this before lol

Goo Poni

I imagine touching down in a ruined metropolis (or the outskirts of one) would only really look good on the 450x450 maps. The default map might feel a little too confined to feel like you've landed in a city. But then if we could set up shop in a ruined city, I'd also kinda like to see large ruined buildings act similarly to mountains in that they block landings and mortar fire but these buildings are found all over the map, instead of one large range on one side of the map like mountainous maps are. Then I could have it be my colonists living out of something like a large shopping mall or parking lot or something to that extent. I'd quite like a map filled with ruined structures that can either be torn down or repurposed.

Only problem is, how backwater is "the Rimworld"? If it's some unused planet that only has colonies because some other poor schmucks landed on it, I wouldn't expect to find the husks of cities dotted around the place.

Kegereneku

Why not make it a NON RANDOM chance ?

The game have a map view that can show differences in terrain type already. Can't you make a new "terrain type : Ruins" ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

ascdren

Quote from: Kegereneku on April 23, 2015, 07:18:06 AM

The game have a map view that can show differences in terrain type already. Can't you make a new "terrain type : Ruins" ?

^^^ THIS

maybe have the circle used to denote that a colony is already there but instead of filling in a colour (red hostile etc {i forget the rest} just leave the centre empty)

kingtyris

Quote from: Kegereneku on April 23, 2015, 07:18:06 AM

I like it, Pro: Prebuilt structures to claim in the early game. Con: The previous residents claimed most of the natural resources, so there are few left