Survival of the fittest?

Started by Akyla, April 21, 2015, 06:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akyla

So we get a free colonist now just after starting a new colony.

Of course, my colonist had to be an old guy.
With a bad back.
And cataracts in both eyes.
And freaking dementia.

I just had to wonder, what are the odds of a severely handicapped guy like that surviving the trip to my mountain colony?
And however did he find it, being mostly blind?
Or even plan for his trip properly and remembering about it, since he is demented?

The poor physical condition of many of the people in Rimworld is something that feels a bit off to me.
On such a frontier world, you would expect that survival of the fittest ensures that at least some selection takes place.

Also, shouldn't raiders be bringing along people that are in reasonable fighting condition?
I mean, why bring people that can't even fight properly?
Why would they bring half-blind grandma? Or the artist that doesn't know what end of a spear goes first?

Anyway, just something I have been wondering about.

zormad

even a very old colonist with all sorts of health issues can be put to good use one way or another  ;D

yeah the chances of that kind of dude finding a way to your colony would probably be slim, but since he did it, it shows a lot of determination/skill so think twice before making him an organ donor.

as for natural selection it kind of happens when other colonists are fed up with the less productive people taking up space and eating too much food
or when your old slow colonist can't run away from a mad animal
or sudden raider atack (who probably bring the old, sick people as meat shields).

Kaballah

On the other hand he is a useful component for lavish meals

Demoulius

I got a 71 year old woman whos incapable of violence as a free colonist. How anyone can afford to be a pacifist on worlds like the ones play on during rimworld, is beyond me....

chaosmage

Quote from: Kaballah on April 21, 2015, 08:31:39 AM
On the other hand he is a useful component for lavish meals
Just wonder how lavish could it be, made from 71 years old man

Ace42M

I too got the old decrepit dude as my first colonist. However,  old Sam is a fast walking, abrasive, frail with cataracts in both eyes and green thumbs. He is level one passionate in everything except for mining and construction. Though he has 15 in research and 10 in medicine. He shall do research and clean/butcher animals Until I get him some sweet robot eyes. Then he will be the go to Doc.

hyperpeople

you can use nearly every colonst properly, even serious brain damaged people ;) (particulary if you damaged him during a raid :D )

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 25, 2015, 02:15:46 PM
Its really weird to hear of a colony that isn't run like Auschwitz and selling human leather for a living.

ITypedThis

Maybe he was part of a group of demented, half-blind seniors with bad backs, and he was the fittest one? :P

Listy

I've run several games now, and I'm beginning to see either a bug or this is an AI story teller "attack" against the colony.

I've yet to get anyone who isn't 70+ with frail/Bad back. Dementia is optional.

Obviously in previous Alpha's you got "normal" (not discounting the guy who showed up wearing a cowboy hat, flasher mack but otherwise stark naked. He was called "Tosser") colonists, but has the change from Random to guaranteed borked something? Because I'm at 100% for it at the moment. But the sample size is tiny, so we need to ask everyone else.

So has anyone gotten someone useful without the old age penalties?

Mikhail Reign

Well I got this guy:

The peg legs are my doing, I think of the them was bionic, the other was shot off in the raid. I've kept him in my prison for a year or so. Sad end for what I could only assume was a decent career as an Assassin.

Looking over my colony, I've noticed that the mean age is around 40 or so - nearly all of my melee assault force is over 50, so I've had to invest heavily in bionic legs so that the frail, old guys can still run screaming into combat.