A Real Pain in the Posterior: Insulation

Started by Listy, April 25, 2015, 02:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

This is something that's been a pain for a couple of builds. I play a lot on hot maps (thanks for allowing planting of tree BTW...), and if you want to cool an area there's only one option: Wall, Space, Wall.

This uses up a colossal amount of space, quite a bit of resources and means that most colonies look very similar, as you have to use the space inbetween as walkways.

Today I wanted to build a more organic colony with lots of little buildings. But I was in a Arid shrub land, so the Freezer, joy room and sleeping quarters: All have to be double walled, and where'd all my space go...?

Maybe there's a way around this? For example the ability to make some walls insulated, in the same way you place down conduits. So the walls get filled with insulation and then act as a better barrier against temperature.

The "Stuff" option for insulation could be rock chunks or bricks, meaning that doing it is still needs similar levels of materials, but it saves space and means you don't have to use the same layout.

Pathing

There might have an insulation wall in future with higher cost, probably.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

ardentpause

I know that they added a vent, which equalizes temperature between rooms, or between a room and the outside, does that help at all?

ascdren

Quote from: Listy on April 25, 2015, 02:06:19 AM
This is something that's been a pain for a couple of builds. I play a lot on hot maps (thanks for allowing planting of tree BTW...), and if you want to cool an area there's only one option: Wall, Space, Wall.

This uses up a colossal amount of space, quite a bit of resources and means that most colonies look very similar, as you have to use the space inbetween as walkways.

Today I wanted to build a more organic colony with lots of little buildings. But I was in a Arid shrub land, so the Freezer, joy room and sleeping quarters: All have to be double walled, and where'd all my space go...?

Maybe there's a way around this? For example the ability to make some walls insulated, in the same way you place down conduits. So the walls get filled with insulation and then act as a better barrier against temperature.

The "Stuff" option for insulation could be rock chunks or bricks, meaning that doing it is still needs similar levels of materials, but it saves space and means you don't have to use the same layout.

1 cooler tends to be enough to get a room to comfortable tempriture, 2 is fine for freezers in arid. no need for double walls

Listy

Quote from: ascdren on April 25, 2015, 08:43:12 AM
1 cooler tends to be enough to get a room to comfortable tempriture, 2 is fine for freezers in arid. no need for double walls

I think your numbers are a bit out. 35 degree's outside, double walled as described and two coolers, and I hit 0.

Aarkreinsil

Just like in real life, it's easier to get warm than to keep out the heat apparently.

I think it's a good way of balancing things out. If you live in a really hot place your people don't have to wear parkas (which slow down crafting etc. by quite a bit), and you can grow crops basically all year round. Having to place a few more coolers or insulating walls sounds about right for that. I don't know about wall properties though, maybe granite walls might do the trick?

I always settle in the icy mountains and heating really isn't much of a problem. Dead animals, people and airdropped food are automatically frozen, which really helps, too. I have to use extra power for growing crops all year round though (hydroponics), and the slowdown from parkas and the snow is rather annoying and can barely be worked around.

Insulation is actually a problem in my case, since I want the heat to get into every room, and vents aren't that great after all.

I just wish we could lay down air ducts like power conduits, so they are hidden in another Z-level. That way we could properly build some central heating/cooling unit.

ascdren

Quote from: Aarkreinsil on April 25, 2015, 11:54:40 AM
Just like in real life, it's easier to get warm than to keep out the heat apparently.

I think it's a good way of balancing things out. If you live in a really hot place your people don't have to wear parkas (which slow down crafting etc. by quite a bit), and you can grow crops basically all year round. Having to place a few more coolers or insulating walls sounds about right for that. I don't know about wall properties though, maybe granite walls might do the trick?

I always settle in the icy mountains and heating really isn't much of a problem. Dead animals, people and airdropped food are automatically frozen, which really helps, too. I have to use extra power for growing crops all year round though (hydroponics), and the slowdown from parkas and the snow is rather annoying and can barely be worked around.

Insulation is actually a problem in my case, since I want the heat to get into every room, and vents aren't that great after all.

I just wish we could lay down air ducts like power conduits, so they are hidden in another Z-level. That way we could properly build some central heating/cooling unit.

there is a mod that does airducts and adds some extra coolers I think aswell.

Aarkreinsil

Ouh alright, haven't really looked into mods for this release, since it just came out. The mod forum is kinda hard to navigate, too much obsolete stuff drifting around there.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Listy on April 25, 2015, 02:06:19 AM

just a quick thought.. be sure you're on 10f as he's made a lot of changes and that may impact your experience :)

I do double walls without the space and it seems to be pretty good insulation, i've had outside temps of 115 and the largish freezer with two coolers was still below freezing.

I don't usually play on arid (i got hit with a bad heatwave in that above example) so ymmv.

I haven't done any testing to see if stone walls give better insulation than wood for example.. hmm. something to do :)

Kaballah

Quote from: ascdren on April 25, 2015, 12:46:24 PM
there is a mod that does airducts and adds some extra coolers I think aswell.

There is indeed, and it's super interesting, it adds a huge layer of depth into constructing a colony.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0

You might ask Latta (the mod author) whether insulated walls are something that can be modded in.  Either way RedistHeat is a really interesting and well-done mod.

Tobias

I actually plan all my bases with this "insulating corridor" layout by default.
The thing is, you can use this corridor as a kind of central heating / hvac system. Build one corridor around your base, make sure every room is next to a part of it. Then place vents in those walls, too.
Now you can have one bigger room in which you place all your heater and cooling units and there you go. Central heating and cooling.
And I noticed that you need noticeable less heating / cooling units as if you use seperate ones for every room. :)

Dave-In-Texas

I was bored and had some time.. so i used god mode and tried out a bunch of different things.
I figured if nothing else the new folks will get some ideas.  i doubt by any means its the only way to do this, just what I've tried since playing this game.

the world/save is attached if you care to look..

1) the stuff walls are made of does not appear to make a difference in insulation.
2) the weak point for insulation purposes is the doors.
3) it does not matter if the doors are right next to each other or have a space between, or if the 2nd door has walls on either side (although that looks nice)

4) having double walls (without air space) is very effective, as effective as using the air space approach. 

I tried out two different air space approaches and they both work well.

One way was to have a simple corridor around the freezer for passage and the other surrounding the freezer with a large roofed space, perhaps for bed rooms?

It seems to me that usage would be dependent on what your base needs/you want and I can only imagine this also applies to heat

[attachment deleted due to age]