[Diplomacy] A "Guest-class" similar to "Prisoner-class"

Started by Kegereneku, April 24, 2015, 04:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

This suggestion isn't new, but so far I haven't seen a topic with this specific line of though.

We all want to recruit amongst visitor without capturing.
The problem is that unless you capture the visitor will just depart away, and why not ? They are only visiting, entirely free, at no point they specified they would stay.

The idea would be to fill the blank in this (self-made) relation (inter-faction) table.

[Not-staying]        [Staying]
Friendly        Friendly        Colonist
Neutral        Visitor        <GUEST>
Enemy        Hostile        Prisoner

I know it doesn't feel right to equal the two, but we already have a "Prisoner class" who stay (against their will though) long enough for you to recruit them (or become food, but that's not considered normal practice, right ?). So the idea would be for all intent and purpose to consider the guest like a prisoners that won't leave (the colony) unless some conditions are satisfied.

The modus operandi is obvious, you would invite visitor(s) to be guest with direct order (using your most social pawn) and he would occupy a colonist room (I don't see a need for guest-bed for now).

The unknown is when/why would he leave. I'm hoping we could discuss it.
- We need the guest to stay a few days
- But no flaw to exploit to keep him indefinitely
Do we appeal to his mood ? joy ? comfort ? Myself I think one would get suspicious being served Lavish meal in a gigantic double-bed Royal room with flower and statue everywhere.
Could guests be impressed by our colony itself ? (the mood of our colonist, I wouldn't put the health)
Alternatively the time he stay could be fixed/arbitrary and difficulty to recruit equivalent to prisoner, again.

Later this feature would follow up for diplomacy : You could have visitors asking to become guest to be under your care/protection. If something bad happen to a "guest" it would be different than for visitors. And what if a faction enemy's to your guest come to visit ? (Dun dun duunn !)

So, what'dyou think ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

hector212121

Add in 'Reluctant Truce' for Guests and it's a maybe.

When you have visitors, a option to say "Either deal with this guy being here or leave."

antibodee

I was thinking of something extremely similar to this.  When they show up, you get the options to feed them, give them beds, and you gain reputation with their faction for being a good host.  +1

Maragnus

Quote from: antibodee on April 24, 2015, 08:11:21 AM
I was thinking of something extremely similar to this.  When they show up, you get the options to feed them, give them beds, and you gain reputation with their faction for being a good host.  +1

I love that idea.  Like having a local tavern to hold them up for the night.  Then have a warden-type talk them up and not only improve relations, but make them likely to join the colony.

It could be on the popup that says that guests are visiting, you can offer to host them...  Giving their sick medicine and treatment, feeding them fine and lavish meals instead of their packaged crap.

Muramas

I would like this but not for recruiting but for trade. You could sell beer and other items, make money from rented rooms etc.

Maybe you could influence someone to join but this should not be the main point IMO.

Kegereneku

Nice, nice, all good ideas.
I was so focused on allowing to recruit visitor I didn't though of anything else.
Obviously the potential is enormous in term of diplomacy and storytelling. (for trading I was thinking of doing that by comms with the faction directly)
- Giving them gift or receiving gift/silver
- Opening a tavern
- Protecting a group of visitor pursued by raiders
- Just inviting them cordially.
- Event with unaffiliated colonist

Thing is, I think it would really help to give them a status other than "visitor", you can't predict what a visitor will do, but a "guests" could be more predictable, and you could give them actual bed.

I had in mind the following modus operandi :
- If a GROUP of visitors come, you get the option to invite one by one, or the whole group at once.
- If they accept (checking relation with faction), in their status bar appear a countdown showing how long (at most) they'll stay guest.
I suggest to assume we have polite ways of telling them to leave anytime (they could leave in group if asked in group)
- During their stay, they would act like colonist with "joy only" timetable. You can't give them many order but you could "gift them" things. (tell me if you see something that might go wrong with this) Note that ultimately I don't see why some of them wouldn't do some quick work for you.
- Each of them get a "prisoner-like" guest-tab allowing to recruit them and what they are authorized to get (medicine, doctor care...etc)

But there's also many case to consider.
- How to deal with "rent" (ex : if they ask, you can ask a pay / if you invite, they don't pay ?)
- Fire ! (let them have firefighting job ?)
- How do you deal with their clothes if they aren't clothed well ? (can't believe I'm writing that)
- Raid attack (you could order them, but penalty if killed would be steep)
- Getting injured/sick (straightforward)
- Replacing their bionic limbs by pegs limb (don't lie, you were thinking of that right now)
- Getting crazy (because we will totally invite other to see our Crashed Evil Ship temple.)

Brainstorming time !
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

hector212121

Simple on the replacement thing:A check as to whether the PERMANENT function of the part(IE scars and bad back) is lower or higher than the one it'll be replaced with and if they have prostophobia.

If they're prostophobic, they never accept replacements except with ordinary parts.

If they're not, they can be replaced with a better part. So you could replace, for instance, a scarred heart with a normal heart, or a peg leg with a bionic one.

Muramas

This could be expanded to hired hands, where you could higher a skilled person for a certain time for a price. You have no control over them but they will do tasks around the colony such as mine, grow, cook etc.

isistoy

This is interesting. Interactions with other factions...
Also, the symetry of sending colonist to any ally could begin to make some sense, then...
Group actions also, I like it! It could add depth and be applicable to hunting missions, collect missions, defend missions (your own raids!).

Best,
isis
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>