Brain Mod (working title)
(WTB a better title)

Adds:
- Natural Brain
- Bionic Brain

Screenshot:
Pics for Clicks

Does:
- Allows you to perform brain transplants with a Natural Brain to fix Alzheimer's and Dementia. Effectively wipe the slate clean of local injuries and diseases (brain specific).
- Or go the "Super-Deluxe" Route and install a Bionic Brain for enhanced abilities!
        - Bionic Brain 5000
          - Consciousness +100% Expand your mind (by replacing it)!
          - Breathing +5%
          - Sight +5%
          - Talking +10%
          - Manipulation -10%
          - Complete immunity from debilitating mental conditions!
          - Guaranteed to work as hard as you do! (Minimum forced efficiency of 100%!)
          - And you'll be working hard indeed, because you'll only require 25*% the rest requirements! (*subject to change without notice)
          - May affect personality.
          - Warranty not included.

Does not:
- Allow you to transfer the personality, skills, traits, favorite ice cream flavor and very soul of one pawn into another. This is not because I am mean, but because I am dumb.
I don't know how to do it; or rather, I'm nearly certain it would require advanced plugin voodoo and I dislike such things. Would be cool though.

Installation (of Brains):
- Natural Brain requires x1 GlitterWorld Medicine & 12 Medicine Skill and 3500 Work (might increase medicine cost). Medium chance of Success and High chance of death on Failure.
- Bionic Brain requires x2 GlitterWorld Medicine & 16 Medicine Skill and 5000 Work (might increase medicine cost). Low chance of Success and Very High chance of death on Failure.
- During Tests I succeeded brilliantly when I was in a proper hospital room and bed (and sober). When I tried performing surgery with just a sleeping spot and a torch...not so much.

Balance & Future Vision:
- I hear you yelling "OP OP" and it probably is a bit, especially the rest requirements. I may tone those down a bit, but I like the idea of it. Reminds me of an old X-Files where there was some secret military program where they performed brain surgery on soldiers to remove their need for sleep. Of course it made them go psychotic, but that's just details. "May affect personality..." (I'll come clean and say I haven't implemented this. Yet. Feel free to leave suggestions :) ).
- I was also thinking about having it give you random traits, but I haven't figured out how to do that without a plugin. I'd like to at least have it give you "Psychically Deaf" and maybe a random chance for getting "Prosthophile" ("Suddenly I really like the idea of getting more artificial implants...where did this thought originate from?")
- Manipulation -10%: There is a degree of disconnect between the body and artificial brain. Think of a dancing marionette that has a controller that is a half step out of tune.
- Edit: Thinking it over some, I think I will do a Mk2 Bionic Brain and confine the quirks to that model, but tone down the Mk1. That way people can have either a sane or insane experience, as they desire.

Compatibility:
- Probably compatible with all the things, everywhere. Seriously. If not...um, let me know, yeah?
- I imported some abstracts from Core, but they're unchanged and really serve no purpose other than completeness. Def's all have unique names, starting with DR_ so are unlikely to conflict.
- Made sure not to override anything. Probably should load BEFORE any other Surgery mods so it gets overridden if need be. Tested with loading first and last and it doesn't seem to matter.
- Tested with EPOE and DESurgeries. Uninstalling a Bionic Brain (DESurgeries) is fatal.

Issues/NonIssues:
- You can still get drunk (and hungover). Alcohol has a malus to consciousness, which still affects you. This is probably because it hits the "Whole Body" body part and the Bionic Brain only fortifies the "Brain" body part.
Not sure if this is an actual issue, especially because even when my test pawn was hammered for -60% Consciousness, he still had +322% Consciousness overall (note this was with the 2.0 part efficiency version, likely lower now).
- Diseases that affect consciousness (e.g. Flu) will still affect consciousness (unless they are locally specific to the brain). And will likely still kill you.
- Stun Guns (which work by dropping your consciousness) will probably still work too.
- Currently can't Harvest Brains. Nice try Zombies. (Oversight, will be fixed Soon.)
- Currently installing a Natural Brain requires the current brain to have a defect of some sort, or be Bionic. If there is demand, I'll see about allowing you to swap brains at will (for no gain other than for roleplaying purposes).

- As always, feedback and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. I'm pretty new to modding, so I'm sure there is room for improvement. Like a better title for starters.

License (included for completeness and posterity):
- Honestly, I don't really care. When a point of this license is in question, see this point.
- I'm providing it for free, and would prefer it to stay that way. Taking donations is fine - flat out charging for it is a no and kind of a dick move (Adfly, Mediafire type stuff is fine).
- Mod pack authors are free to use and modify; would be nice if they let me know, but not required.
- Share-A-Like (as in you can redistribute it, in pieces, or in total).
- Credit: Would be appreciated, but see first point.
- Hit-By-A-Bus-Clause: If I'm inactive (i.e. don't log in) on the RimWorld forums for a period of, let's say, two (2) months, this mod can be effectively be considered up for adoption.

Download:
Dropbox
#StopPluginAbuse

Deimos Rast

#StopPluginAbuse

Deimos Rast

#StopPluginAbuse

Rafe009

Holy heck! I can capture a male raider and put his brain into a 19 year old female body that's labeled as beautiful and laugh as he gets hit on constantly.

Deimos Rast

haha, twisted, but sadly no.
When I add in brain harvesting, it'll be just a generic brain that's added on harvest, like an "Eye" you get now. So your raider's brain will be effectively identical to any other brain, no quality attributes or anything (now there is an idea).
If someone knows how to write a plugin for "personality transference" I wouldn't be opposed to offering a version (in addition to a simpler version without it) with it, since people are going to keep asking for it.
Disappointing I know. :-\

Edit:
Technically you could do what you suggest, it just literally would have no effect.
#StopPluginAbuse

TOWC

I didn't try the mod yet, but I already can say that you've done a great job if it's working(even with all those issues you noted). Always wanted to get some brain operations variety or a way to fix all those brain injuries and illness. And also I can see that you're pretty enthusiastic, I know that feel pretty well, so you have my respect.
Good job, keep it up.

Rafe009

Even if personality transference was a thing traits themselves break along the lines of : psychological and physical

So cannibal, masochist, prostholophobe, pyromaniac, nudist, dislikes men should be tethered to the brain in question while something like: creepy breathing, annoying voice, beautiful, ugly should be strictly associated with the body

If you could create a trait called body dysmorphia that would appear if a male is put in a females body or might just appear if anybody is put in an alien body that would be interesting.

Anyway, it looks fun.

tiger33116

Well done I'll have to try this out. Is there a possibility of adding some kind of hive mind implant? I have next to zero knowledge on moding so I don't know if it's possible.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: tiger33116 on September 09, 2016, 08:21:51 PM
Well done I'll have to try this out. Is there a possibility of adding some kind of hive mind implant? I have next to zero knowledge on moding so I don't know if it's possible.
I like the idea, but that's probably plugin territory, which is sadly beyond me at this time.
If it worked like I think you're thinking, where the more people that have it installed, the greater the stat boost (or whatever) OR the more people with it in proximity the greater the boost. Either way, you'd need some way to adjust in semi-realtime the scalar on the stat boost, which is where the plugin would come in.

Quote from: Rafe009 on September 09, 2016, 07:09:27 PM
Even if personality transference was a thing traits themselves break along the lines of : psychological and physical

So cannibal, masochist, prostholophobe, pyromaniac, nudist, dislikes men should be tethered to the brain in question while something like: creepy breathing, annoying voice, beautiful, ugly should be strictly associated with the body

If you could create a trait called body dysmorphia that would appear if a male is put in a females body or might just appear if anybody is put in an alien body that would be interesting.

Anyway, it looks fun.

Yeah, I'm sort of a proponent of the idea that a certain portion of a person's personality resides in their body as a whole (call it some type of advanced "muscle memory" if you will). It's an esoteric concept, but more importantly it gives me a convenient excuse/explanation if something doesn't fit exactly. ;D
#StopPluginAbuse

kaptain_kavern

Congratz for the release. I'm try that one for sure!

For DEsurgeries I restrained myself to add more "magical/technologically unrealistic" operations (and had positive feedbacks about that) so I want them to works well together. I'm here if you need anything regarding that.

Edit: I just browse quickly throughout your code and I can't find compatibility issues with DEsurgeries either. It was I quick browsing bit I'm 99% sure of it.

RemingtonRyder

Got a title for you:

Igor, Fetch Me The Brain!

:)

Deimos Rast

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 09, 2016, 09:59:37 PM
Congratz for the release. I'm try that one for sure!

For DEsurgeries I restrained myself to add more "magical/technologically unrealistic" operations (and had positive feedbacks about that) so I want them to works well together. I'm here if you need anything regarding that.

Edit: I just browse quickly throughout your code and I can't find compatibility issues with DEsurgeries either. It was I quick browsing bit I'm 99% sure of it.
Much appreciated!
The next version will bring things in line with DESurgeries VeryHard surgeries. I'm not sure what I want to do on medicine costs, since DESurgeries lets you cure Alzheimer's/Dementia for 3 GlitterMeds and I currently have it at 1 + Brain, which feels a bit cheap. Probably make it 2, since brains while relatively abundant (with harvesting), still have a high market value. It might be more cost efficient to harvest a brain, sell it, buy 3 glittermeds with the profits, then cure your illness that way. I don't really see that as too much of an issue (provided the numbers are reasonable) considering the extra time investment.
#StopPluginAbuse

kaptain_kavern

On a secret project I had where I want to make arms and legs harvestable on corpses, I started to code organs that deteriorate over time,  (yep frankenstein and all ^^ ) in order to balance the high availability of raw material (similar to your case with brains ;) ). Just a hint maybe.

But what you said (with 2) works well too IMHO

Quetrapos

Could be a trivial Question but how do i acquiere the Brainmod, do i need to harvest it from a Raider, do i have to buy it wait for it or can i even make it myself (but didn't find).