Sad and disappointed about where this game is going.

Started by StriderGunship, April 25, 2015, 08:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StriderGunship

Im so sad about this game :( In Alpha 3 I had so much hopes about this game, but more new updates were coming out, less enjoyable game was becoming to me. There was added so much useless stuff to new updates, you know, it was becoming like one of these shitty mods... And now... I am really disapointed. Colonists became so easy to take down by a simpe things, its like if colonists where princesses taken from their pink castles and placed into survival situation. And there is more useless  stuff to waste resources, it will take me a big amount of time to achieve it, and nothing will change in the gameplay anyway... After Alpha 3  85% of new content is just useless crap and doesnt change anything, its like tinsel, it just exists and glows... Quoting colonist707, game became "the sims", and according to DevBlogs they are moving towards this direction :( After playing Alpha 3 thought that some day, in like alpha 20-25 game will be done, but it isnt going  to come out of alpha stage, because of  new game elements it just became TRASH. Game is living because of the achieved in Alpha 1-3 fanbase, that is making some movement near the game, but game attracts less and less people until it will die. Some people will understand me, some not, some are game hardcore fans will be proving me that Im not right, or just some trolls and kids, you know...

skullywag

umm I think more people have joined up in the last few alphas than before, I could be wrong but the forums feel more alive recently then back in earlier alphas.

The game IS alpha so is not complete.

You have been very negative in the past on these forums and not in a constructive way, what is it in particular that you feel is NOT being added to the game, what element is missing for you?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StriderGunship

Quote from: skullywag on April 25, 2015, 08:21:30 AM
umm I think more people have joined up in the last few alphas than before, I could be wrong but the forums feel more alive recently then back in earlier alphas.

The game IS alpha so is not complete.

You have been very negative in the past on these forums and not in a constructive way, what is it in particular that you feel is NOT being added to the game, what element is missing for you?

Every alpha changes are too little... No significant changes, just little things that doesnt affect the game in survival, fighting and building. Only this sims stuff... Joy, every wound causes infection, and stuff like that. Climate... They made it so comlicated... Why? Why not just make a simple heater or conditioner??? It could be easy, but no, lets make it a bloody pain in the ass!!! Colonists want to live in five-star hotel after space ship wreck on a planet full of mutants, bandits, wild men and hostile alien machines . I dont know about how hard is this to make, and as people say it is hard, but why do you start to develop a game, if not to make a great hame? Money or popularity wont come by itself, if autors will put their hard work and their soul in this game, it will become a great game.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

TLHeart

colonist do NOT want to live in a 5 star hotel, even after 2 years on the planet. They do need stress relief from the rigors of trying to survive, and that is joyful activities....

This game is headed in the correct direction, away from all the shoot em up war based games out there.  It is trying to fill a market for survival game, where fighting is something that happens on OCCASION, but is not the main story. Struggling against the climate, the local wildlife, the local fauna, with each other, all need to be part of the game. Resource shortages, Fire, and thiefs, along with trading with the locals all need to part of this survival game.  And less fighting. 

Complication is the reality of survival.

StriderGunship

Quote from: TLHeart on April 25, 2015, 09:15:12 AM
colonist do NOT want to live in a 5 star hotel, even after 2 years on the planet. They do need stress relief from the rigors of trying to survive, and that is joyful activities....

This game is headed in the correct direction, away from all the shoot em up war based games out there.  It is trying to fill a market for survival game, where fighting is something that happens on OCCASION, but is not the main story. Struggling against the climate, the local wildlife, the local fauna, with each other, all need to be part of the game. Resource shortages, Fire, and thiefs, along with trading with the locals all need to part of this survival game.  And less fighting. 

Sounds totally like SIMS, but if it was Bear Grylls edition...

RickyMartini

What exactly did you have in mind since Alpha 3? What were your wishes for the game then?

StriderGunship

Quote from: Skissor on April 25, 2015, 09:35:55 AM
What exactly did you have in mind since Alpha 3? What were your wishes for the game then?

Well... When I first played It, I thought about cars, upper and lower levels, raiding someone else, better combat system, and lots of other stuff... Bu-u-ut, sadly, after joining and drifting through forum, I found out that developers have not a very big amount of people and recources, as I thought, but still, I was waiting and waiting, but they want to add only cheap stuff, as said Tynan, so, yeah. And im still sitting sad and waiting for some kind of a miracle from the developers.

Negocromn

Quote from: StriderGunship on April 25, 2015, 09:42:38 AM

Well... When I first played It, I thought about cars, upper and lower levels, raiding someone else, better combat system, and lots of other stuff... Bu-u-ut, sadly, after joining and drifting through forum, I found out that developers have not a very big amount of people and recources, as I thought, but still, I was waiting and waiting, but they want to add only cheap stuff, as said Tynan, so, yeah. And im still sitting sad and waiting for some kind of a miracle from the developers.

You literally didn't get what the game is about. Rimworld was never going the direction you imagined, it was always pretty clear the game was about simulation and survival.

Seriously, your complaints are as out of place as someone complaining about the new Battlefield not being a realistic combat simulator when it was always meant to be an arcade shooter. Rimworld was always meant to be what it is today, you are tripping man.

Dr. Z

If you go to http://rimworldgame.com/ and only read the first passage you will see that the game is exactly what it wants to be. Since the very begining it was MEANT to be a simulation. The developer doesn't reference to games like dwarf fortress for nothing.

Also, no changes that affect survival? Things like climate, different biomes and wound track down are things with a significant influence in your base desings and survival strategies. Yes the game could be easy, but the majority of players doesn't want a simple, but a challenging and unforgiving game. I'm playing and active in the forums since pre-Alpha and you are the first second person I see actually complaining about the game itself. A few Alphas ago one member actually made a graph showing that with every Alpha more and more people are buying the game and joining the forums.

Oh, and by the way ranting about the game and beeing rude wont have any affect on the developers at all.
Prasie the Squirrel!

MarSmith

Well... When I first played It, I thought about cars, upper and lower levels, raiding someone else, better combat system, and lots of other stuff... Bu-u-ut, sadly, after joining and drifting through forum, I found out that developers have not a very big amount of people and recources,

The number of developers is irrelevant as is the number of resources. More developers, does not, lead to a better project. A thousand developers could be thrown at this project, and it would not make it "better". Not to mention, for a thousand developers you would need around 200 support staff / management / consultants / project managers, etc.

Rimworld is a simulation. Which means a lot of things, such as time management. The cost of doing things is important. For example,  you could "raid" other bases, however it would cost a lot in time, and the value of time. Morale, rest, pleasure, all plays into that. Joy as well, not to mention, humans tend to have this idea to make things better. For example, I said this in the other thread on this, if you were out there for a year, wouldn't you have a nice setup? Or would you be too busy driving around raiding everyone?

Upper and lower levels, I think will be a stretch. I'm not sure if the engine could handle it, without a huge redesign. Not to mention, the amount of testing to add the features to the game would be immense. Cars, would be a lot easier, however a lot of other factors come into play there, such as size of the map, and purpose. As well as later on, balance. Not to mention the base program to put one into the game.

Easy wins are Important.. I would put this into 72 point font if I could. I've worked, and led development projects, and one big thing is to build often, with new, small features every time. It takes a few hours to add items into the game, a lot of mods here, do just that. So, I'm sure that the development team follows the mods generated, and looks at it with interest to see what people want. An easy win is to toss some more "content" or "flavour" into each release. That's why the simple suggestion thread is there, something not intensive, that makes people happy. Which leads to money, which leads to development. We always tried to grab as many easy wins on projects as we could, simply because it made the client happy, and made a better product.

Each Alpha is released around what? 1-3 months apart. Not a short development time, however it's not a long time by any means. It looks to be done in a very agile sort of way. It's a lot better, from a development perspective to slowly add features in. Think about it this way? Look at each alpha in isolation, I'm sure if you look deep enough, each alpha has a feature(s), added that only get polished and add into the game. Things slowly get better, get fixed, get changed and improved as they go on. A lot of alpha's don't get the treatment that this game does, where you can field test it. Ideas can get dropped or added, based on feedback, and ideas can be slowly introduced to ensure they work stably. It's like building a set of legos, each piece gets added one at a time.

Most simulators are about resource management. Time, money, natural resources, people. Playing the warfare of Genghis khan is fun I'm sure, especially since they did not build structures behind them. I'll give you an example. They say, to keep one naval vessel out to sea, you need around 3. 1 Deployed, 1 in refit, 1 post tour / workup. This gives you time to maintain, sleep, rest, prepare. In rim-world, running full bore with all colonists leads to downstream impacts. Such as jobs falling behind, leading to a vicious cycle. So, sometimes it cannot be all hands on deck, let's go a raiding in our cars. The boring logistics of keeping them fed, clothed, housed and patched up makes sense.

colonist do NOT want to live in a 5 star hotel, even after 2 years on the planet.

I don't know about you, however I would try to make it a 5 star hotel by the time I was done with it. Especially after two years.

True that.

RickyMartini

You realize Tynan is developing the game almost alone. He puts a lot of effort into it and things like you said, z-levels and better combat system, that's a lot of work and nobody ever intended to implement it. This game is inspired by dwarf fortress and other similar games, and it's about survival. Rimworld makes a splendid attempt to simulate that.

Ever since I bought this game I have been given exactly what I expected. Probably because I read the description before buying it didn't wish to expect game mechanics that were never promised.

Aarkreinsil

If you want to have a car and drive around to raid stuff, you might want to look at Factorio. Other than that, I really find it funny how in one sentence you say that the new features change too little and do nothing, and in the next one you complain about it being too hard and a pain in the ass.

And the climate stuff actually IS easily managable with just a few heaters and coolers. I think the coolers made the game way easier with the frozen food mechanics, and you can bypass the seasonal stuff with indoor hydroponics.
If you just want to fight stuff, set the difficulty to maximum and fire away. You actually get a mood boost for being poor, it's called "Extremely low expectations" and gives a flat +15 mood to everyone, just for having low colony wealth. So yeah, they don't really expect to live in a 5 star hotel unless you have the resources.

RemingtonRyder

Okay. I'm sorry if you feel like this game is not going where you thought it was going to go, StriderGunship, but you've had the opportunity to get involved for far more alphas than I have.

• If you just sit back on the sidelines when the call goes out for testers, then of course Tynan is going to take input from testers who actually showed up and reported stuff.
  • If you don't mod the game, maybe you should. Annoyance is a strong motivation to come up with constructive ways of adjusting the game to your own personal preference.
  • Make suggestions. Get your point across. Use diagrams and bullet points. Get people involved in constructive discussion.

And no, don't expect it to suddenly change overnight. I've been modding packaged survival meals since A7 and Tynan still hasn't taken the hint. ;)

ascdren

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 25, 2015, 12:28:42 PM
I've been modding packaged survival meals since A7 and Tynan still hasn't taken the hint. ;)

there is  mod that changes survival meals?

StriderGunship

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 25, 2015, 12:28:42 PM
Okay. I'm sorry if you feel like this game is not going where you thought it was going to go, StriderGunship, but you've had the opportunity to get involved for far more alphas than I have.

• If you just sit back on the sidelines when the call goes out for testers, then of course Tynan is going to take input from testers who actually showed up and reported stuff.
  • If you don't mod the game, maybe you should. Annoyance is a strong motivation to come up with constructive ways of adjusting the game to your own personal preference.
  • Make suggestions. Get your point across. Use diagrams and bullet points. Get people involved in constructive discussion.

And no, don't expect it to suddenly change overnight. I've been modding packaged survival meals since A7 and Tynan still hasn't taken the hint. ;)

Well, I dont even know how to make mods and how hard is this. Do you know any sort of guides?